burn

Expert Member
I'd hate to know what government systems are being hacked away from the public view.

House

Banned
First off, the hackers claimed to have gotten root access. I am not sure what information they have available at this time, but if there were any online databases with personal identifiable information on the Aarto website, this will soon be leaked in hacker circles. Good luck to everyone...

Datura

Captain Faptastic
[tinfoil hat]Gov person got buddy to simulate a hack on the website. Made sure it was a website/database that has access to millions of tax payers' information. Will claim it needs to do something urgently to secure tax payers' information by upping the security. Will get a quote from cousin Sipho's Web Security Co. (He is probably making a FB page as we speak) for millions of Rands and will be sure he wins the tender even though the next best offer is for R2990.[/tinfoil hat]

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Let me guess... another WordPress site!

Poor WordPress will never shake this stigma, I guess.

From the versions of the site in Google cache it actually looks like Joomla!. A lot of government sites seem to run on Joomla! and Drupal, actually.

First off, the hackers claimed to have gotten root access. I am not sure what information they have available at this time, but if there were any online databases with personal identifiable information on the Aarto website, this will soon be leaked in hacker circles. Good luck to everyone...

I have asked them if there was any sensitive information on the webserver. Let's see what they spin.

moklet

Expert Member

Normally these are only public facing websites with no direct links or integration in backend systems, so I doubt they will get a lot of juicy info

House

Banned
Normally these are only public facing websites with no direct links or integration in backend systems, so I doubt they will get a lot of juicy info

I hope so for their sake. I know of one government institution who had a database of around 35000 people's information on their webserver. Like I said, I am not sure about Aarto. But, if there was a database the information is gone.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
the only people that go to these government websites are hackers. that's obviously before all mybb members/visitors go to check the new hacked site.

biena

Executive Member

Be worried, in the google cache you can see that there are some options that either link to other systems or have a local db of sensitive information.

Query My Fine
Pay my fine
Nominate the driver
Make a representation
Confirm Licence Information
Verify a driver’s qualification

qdada

Expert Member
hide right click

In general, why do people disable right-clicks.
Surely a waste of time ?

Not a direct criticism of Aarto and their Joomla.
I just want to know what the practicality of this is ?

BInWzzzCUAAr9Dt.jpg

House

Banned
Be worried, in the google cache you can see that there are some options that either link to other systems or have a local db of sensitive information.

If these are links to external websites, they are fine.

However, if any of these services are hosted locally, all these databases will soon be available for download across the Internet.

The fact that their server is still down tells me that the sh*t has hit the fan. If it was only a defacement of a normal webpage they would have fixed it by now. I think databases have been accessed and downloaded.

Last edited:

House

Banned
In general, why do people disable right-clicks.
Surely a waste of time ?

Not a direct criticism of Aarto and their Joomla.
I just want to know what the practicality of this is ?

View attachment 47990

In general, disabling right-clicks are to prevent basic users from stealing text or images, there may be a few more reasons, but this script is totally useless to any person with some html or computer usage knowledge.