Absurd cPanel license price increase

quovadis

Expert Member
$0.20 or $0.10 per additional account if you have more than 1780 seems fair for something companies have built entire businesses around. Not great how they phased in the plan but it’s hardly absurd.

quovadis

Expert Member
I HATE companies that charged monthly pricing for something you host yourself.

Opensource FTW!
Open source these days has become a base product with just enough features to garner interest and then bolt on licensing at a considerable premium should you actually want a decent product. These days most companies have subscription based licensing.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
$0.20 or $0.10 per additional account if you have more than 1780 seems fair for something companies have built entire businesses around. Not great how they phased in the plan but it’s hardly absurd.
Let's call a spade a spade,they saw an opportunity to get more money for 0 extra effort(at least that was the plan),and went for it

Petec

Expert Member
Let's call a spade a spade,they saw an opportunity to get more money for 0 extra effort(at least that was the plan),and went for it
This. It's exactly the same shenanigans that went on, when VBulletin was bought out years ago.
At least there are lot's more alternative panel solutions today, than there were forum solutions back then.

CPanel will feel the burn a good ways down the road. Going to take time but it will happen. Prob is that by then, they would have made their cash, exit, and move on.

quovadis

Expert Member
The only issue I truly see is the manner or sudden application of it - they could have kept it for a new major version and spun it that way. Passing on less than R1-2 per customer account at scale isn't that absurd and actually is still a bargain.

jeevadotnet

Cpanel is crap anyway and this is 2019 and not 2009, meaning way better alternatives. I moved from using Cpanel for my clients to webmin+virtualmin ages ago.

bratwurst

Expert Member
For some reason cPanel changed my solo cPanel licenses to premier metal licenses, even though there is only one account per server. Anyone else had this?

bratwurst

Expert Member
I see now solo licenses are only for VPS's or cloud instances and not dedicated servers anymore. Na, cPanel can get rekt.

Reactions: OCP

alkit

I see now solo licenses are only for VPS's or cloud instances and not dedicated servers anymore. Na, cPanel can get rekt.
Yep, same happened to me. Went up from $15 to $45 per month for my single dedicated server. I don't need to host 100 sites! Insane!

Transparency

This is a complete cluster **** of note for all shared hosting providers and the industry as a whole.
We saw a similar move when Parallels purchased other control panel providers and stopped support for the products that they had purchased and pushed everyone towards plesk

Strategic move from the head hunchos at Oakley Capital who knew they were purchasing a captive audience and then hiking the fees without any notice.

Not too sure what laws are applicable to this within the UK with regards to anti competitive practice but this would definitely fall within this kind of practice if this was done locally.

At the end of the day, resellers are going to suffer.
Thanks for posting @Murmaider
Anti-competitve pricing, zadomains does that also

Transparency

They add R590 to the cost price of R200 for coza domain redemption, that's to their reseller, who has the option to add more when charging a client.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Any of you okes in the know heard of/found an alternative to cpanel yet? The price increase from my hosting provider is horrific - almost double what it was.

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
Any of you okes in the know heard of/found an alternative to cpanel yet? The price increase from my hosting provider is horrific - almost double what it was.
DirectAdmin seems to be the best alternative so far

jeevadotnet

Yeah zadomains redemption fee is crazy. Hit that wall recently, looking at alternatives for a white label reseller or just going directly.

Thor

Honorary Master
Cpanel is crap anyway and this is 2019 and not 2009, meaning way better alternatives. I moved from using Cpanel for my clients to webmin+virtualmin ages ago.
I'm yet to find an alternative that matches the WHM ecosystem.

Thor

Honorary Master
Yeah zadomains redemption fee is crazy. Hit that wall recently, looking at alternatives for a white label reseller or just going directly.
Domains.co.za we have about 600 or so domains with them.