Advice on BMW issues

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Morning Folks.

Need to get some advice on dealing with a issue with a 1 year old BMW.

On the 25th Of April 2019, i took ownership of a 2018 registered 320i , it was apparently a floor demo model. Within the first 3 months i noticed a bit of a misfire. Left it for first service for them to see to. In August, it went in , they detected the misfire, and ran a software update to apparently fix this. It however it didn't, logistically running back and forth to them is not practical, so In November i needed break-pads, and i asked them to look into it again. This time, the car sat there for 4 weeks, while they took the head off and sent it in for engineering. Apparently it was a over fueling injector. Picked up my car on Saturday, On Sunday ( 40km worth of driving from the pickup) the car started acting up. Pulled over, and there was just oil, everywhere.
Phoned BMW on call, and they came 4 hours later to fetch it. According to the dealership, a pipe popped off the gearbox. When they moved the car off the low bed, they had to start it, upon shutting it down, there was this not so pleasant grinding noise...

They say it just needs a oil top up, and the pipe replaced, which i cant see as being the solution, i cannot foresee that there is no damage done, especially with the grinding noise after the engine was shut off

Now to the advice needed. Given the time lines, can i refuse to accept this car back? To me its no longer fit for purpose as a reliable vehicle, especially if this so called pipe popping off is apparently "something that happens". Googling i cannot find anything on the BMW forums of this happening. I also cannot see how a motor that's less than a year old, and less than 50000km on has to have the head removed for Engineering?

*Edit* Apparently there are cooling lines that run from the front end of the vehicle to the transmission , its possible / plausible they did somehow mess something up?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Hmm those B48 engines are pretty decent, should not give this much hassle.

Nothing much you can do now, you will just have to keep it and get it fixed under the plan if something goes wrong.
You will loose to much money selling it now.

Maybe get another BMW dealer to look at it, your motorplan is valid at other dealerships also.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Hmm those B48 engines are pretty decent, should not give this much hassle.

Nothing much you can do now, you will just have to keep it and get it fixed under the plan if something goes wrong.
You will loose to much money selling it now.

Maybe get another BMW dealer to look at it, your motorplan is valid at other dealerships also.
Finding a decent one in Gauteng seems to be a issue if one looks up reviews on the various dealerships

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Finding a decent one in Gauteng seems to be a issue if one looks up reviews on the various dealerships

Maybe give them a try, not sure how far they off from you. They seems to quite a high end dealer.

In CPT I would recommend SMG century city.

ijacobs3

Expert Member

Maybe give them a try, not sure how far they off from you. They seems to quite a high end dealer.

In CPT I would recommend SMG century city.
Thanks,

i've been told that BMW glen vista is also very good, might take it there if/when it comes back

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
I would make a scene. As you said I'm sure there must be some form of damage that might only become a real problem when this car ages and then conks a year out of warranty. I'd like a new engine please.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
I would make a scene. As you said I'm sure there must be some form of damage that might only become a real problem when this car ages and then conks a year out of warranty. I'd like a new engine please.

This is what i've discussed now with BMW customer care ( head office?) but they take ages to come back to anyone. I almost feel like contacting BMW head office in Germany to make some noise, but not sure it will accomplish anything

ijacobs3

Expert Member
@ijacobs3
They removed the head just for an injector?
Maybe they tried to remove the injector normally but damaged the head in the process.

The Claim as a result of the faulty injector, there was an excessive carbon build up on the one cylinder , hence the need to send it for "engineering" which as i understand was just a walnut shell blasting,

The dealer claims this pipe the magically "popped" off the gearbox ( the oil spill) is nowhere close to where they worked on the car, but as mentioned above, there are cooling lines running to the radiator , which they would have had to disconnect. My Concern now is, what if the transmission over heated as a result of this? Barring the no oil in it, what other damage has happened now? I feel the dealership is going to try downplay any Major concerns, and simply say they filled up the transmission and its "ok" now.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
@ijacobs3
They removed the head just for an injector?
Maybe they tried to remove the injector normally but damaged the head in the process.

Very Interesting , but with the head being removed, all manor of cover and pipe was removed from the top and bottom, as well as the intake and exhaust manifolds.

They were under pressure with the re-assembly , as the car was supposed to be ready on Friday and it wasn't, non of the covers were on, and they couldn't get it to start. With the car there for 4 weeks( at week 2.5 i got BMW South Africa involved and then suddenly stuff started to happen), i simply said to them that one way or another i was fetching it on Saturday. I suspect they rushed it, and duffed up , Problem is proving it.

My theory is being November / December they busy with pre-Holiday services, and if one makes the assumption that they have 5 mechanics, 5 working bays, each doing 5-6 cars a day , they make more money in this time. So taking a mechanic ( or even 2) off this schedule, and taking up 1 service bay for a day or two wasn't in their financial interest. Hence leaving it to the last minute.

I appreciate that they give person a loaner, however that carries extra risk ( the excess on their side is horrific compared to my insurance) and i was supposed to be leaving for holiday on Monday morning. I wasn't comfortable driving someone else's car for such a long trip.

ijacobs3

Expert Member

willing to put money on the problem was here! There are from what i can piece together , oil lines for the transmission

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
This is what i've discussed now with BMW customer care ( head office?) but they take ages to come back to anyone. I almost feel like contacting BMW head office in Germany to make some noise, but not sure it will accomplish anything
I suppose it's worth a try. The Germans are very efficient and normally don't take crap.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
The dealership phones now, Apparently some bolt on the gearbox, and its a so called factory fault..

ijacobs3

Expert Member
fce8a4e0f00c7c0d41e93782a763a525.jpg

ab5253891352de34035e96caeb21dec3.jpg

f8045aa5aa40b7ed88180ccd355aa655.jpg

b0996953cc99cd9fcc2c58f91744c16c.jpg

Calkem

I agree, a new engine is the only way to go.

Im up to 220 000km still drives perfectly no issues ever, but lately I am seeing replacement for small items e.g Light Bulbs, thats German engineering for you...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You are beyond the six month CPA warranty period so there is no giving it back.

Also how on earth did the car need brake pads when it hasn’t even gotten to its second service?

dlk001

Executive Member
This sucks. Has BMW On Call /dealer offered you a loan car during this time?

ijacobs3

Expert Member
I agree, a new engine is the only way to go.

Im up to 220 000km still drives perfectly no issues ever, but lately I am seeing replacement for small items e.g Light Bulbs, thats German engineering for you...

Was the gearbox that dropped all that oil