Affordable Keyboard - Mechanical or not?

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have had a Microsoft Keyboard for the last decade. It does the job but it is not nice. Keys are 'sticky' and feels "heavy" when pressing. The letters on the keyboard starts fading etc. etc. I want to get rid of now. Forever.

Any replacement suggestions?
It doesn't have to be perfect or "the best" and should last me at least 2-3 years. Vallue for money. Decent for what you pay.

So less than R800, half that if possible. But not rubbish. Not Microsoft. Full keyboard (numpad included).

Single colour backlit keys will be nice. It is not a must.

I have never had anything else but my Microsoft Keyboard so no idea what to expect. Mechanical? It must not sound like a typewriter.

Any deals that you would consider is good?

Please also post link to suggested keyboard if possible.

Update:

I am going to allow for a slightly bigger budget if it will make a big difference:

Options so far, can suggest something else similar (All Red Switches) ?

• MARVO KG950 R799 - Free Shipping

Reddragon Devarajas R1330

Corsair CH-9102020 K68 R1500

Update:

My (new) keyboard and first impression:

Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/affordable-keyboard-mechanical-or-not.1040569/page-6#post-23922429

1565342119862.png

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Then... if you want to... get a cheapie BT keyboard and convert it to BT... OR... build your own frame using a lazer cut aluminium base and solid wood frame. That would be a fun project if you have time.
Explain to me what is this? :X3: Bluetooth? For what is the frame? Eish....

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
The keyboards that last the longest (most robust) are normally mechanical gaming keyboards. But they can be noisy. A regular, half decent, keyboard should last 2 or 3 years depending on the environment and how hard you type when using it I generally find MS keyboards to me fine.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Explain to me what is this? :X3: Bluetooth? For what is the frame? Eish....
I sent links to wired KB. If you like, convert it to BT. Of course you can splash the cash if you prefer to not DIY. I like to tinker. The frame is for your custom funky mechanical kb... like this:
https://www.epathbuy.com/product/custom-60-rgb-backlit-mechanical-keyboard-kit-wooden-shell-64-key-hot-swap-pcb-plate-usb-type-c-cable-igk64-kit12/

Of course you could just get the keyboard and use it as is. What I suggested is just cheaper than buying the caps and building your own if you're inclined.

Daruk

Honorary Master
The keyboards that last the longest (most robust) are normally mechanical gaming keyboards. But they can be noisy. A regular, half decent, keyboard should last 2 or 3 years depending on the environment and how hard you type when using it I generally find MS keyboards to me fine.
Noise depends on the keys, some are silent.

RedViking

Nord of the South
On the Eagletec KG010 which is the only full keyboard , this is what I do NOT want: :)

1564995158830.png

1564995175713.png

Thanks anyways for the suggestion!

RedViking

Nord of the South
Microsoft 600 wired keyboard is only R150 at Makro. just work from there.
I think you missed the part that I don't want another Microsoft keyboard. :unsure: That is exactly what I have had the last 10 years. :mad:

Meelperd

Hey Viking! I have this bad boy:
Redragon K502

Best pro: Very little key travel (like a notebook)

It's everything you asked for in your post. Got it from Delta 5 last year for approx 400 bucks.