Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear :(
Any tests you can paste here? I believe packet loss is being introduced outside of our network.

dC7xTKv.png


This just when I enter TeamSpeak.
 
dC7xTKv.png


This just when I enter TeamSpeak.

Would you be able to test to another Team Speak Server? I just need to figure out if there is an issue with the protocol or an issue with the connection to the server itself.
 
Latency down South is an issue.
Download speeds are fine, however the latency will affect realtime services.

Code:
Target Name: [url]www.afrihost.com[/url]
Ping statistics for 41.181.185.18:
    Packets: Sent = 16, Received = 16, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 83ms, Average = 62ms

Tracing route to [url]www.afrihost.com[/url] [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1     3 ms     1 ms     1 ms  home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  105-236-240-129-esr-lo.mtnbusiness.co.za [105.236.240.129]
  3    43 ms    37 ms    37 ms  ipc-recieve-tb-1a.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.53.150]
  4    26 ms    17 ms    18 ms  tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.198.188]
  5    12 ms     9 ms     9 ms  unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
  6    39 ms    36 ms    37 ms  jh-cr-1.za--tb-cr-2.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]
  7    33 ms    28 ms    54 ms  jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.217]
  8    50 ms   125 ms    39 ms  [url]www.afrihost.com[/url] [41.181.185.18]

Trace complete.
 
I'm getting some strange issue. On CS GO it won't let me join certain servers atm. I had the same issue last night on killing floor 2, just wouldn't let me join, but works when i switch to a web africa trial account. Anyone else experiencing this?
 
Again the network tonight is way below standard, web pages taking their time to download and p2p is disgraceful. Getting 1.8mbps on a 20mb VDSL line...

http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/207558884.png

Ping Test:

ping 197.242.144.102

64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=1 ttl=57 time=222 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=2 ttl=57 time=13 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=3 ttl=57 time=14 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=4 ttl=57 time=37 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=5 ttl=57 time=22 ms


ping 8.8.8.8

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=1 ttl=53 time=72 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=2 ttl=53 time=59 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=3 ttl=53 time=100 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=4 ttl=53 time=54 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=5 ttl=53 time=57 ms


Trace Test:

traceroute -n 197.242.144.102

1 192.168.1.1 69.635 ms 4.512 ms 3.699 ms
2 105.236.14.65 114.112 ms 16.108 ms 24.851 ms
3 41.181.178.77 114.474 ms 38.049 ms 40.762 ms
4 196.44.0.146 51.032 ms
196.44.31.120 31.307 ms 13.805 ms
5 196.44.31.95 15.02 ms
196.44.0.42 31.08 ms 14.836 ms
6 41.181.165.115 12.801 ms 42.381 ms 38.298 ms
7 196.44.31.99 15.2 ms 20.316 ms 32.189 ms
8 196.30.1.39 16.109 ms
196.30.1.53 38.308 ms 50.462 ms
9 196.31.220.27 14.02 ms 21.943 ms
196.31.220.21 23.501 ms
10 196.31.63.202 13.599 ms 14.2 ms 23.209 ms
11 196.30.42.133 14.821 ms 14.561 ms 32.418 ms
12 197.242.144.102 19.92 ms 15.866 ms 17.991 ms


traceroute -n 8.8.8.8

1 192.168.1.1 3.346 ms 4.474 ms 8.319 ms
2 105.236.14.65 10.313 ms 12.922 ms 20.158 ms
3 41.181.178.89 19.071 ms 39.136 ms 65.5 ms
4 196.44.31.120 23.166 ms 17.7 ms
196.44.0.146 41.501 ms
5 196.44.0.42 19.141 ms 30.498 ms
196.44.31.95 17.578 ms
6 41.181.165.115 21.182 ms 21.035 ms 25.931 ms
7 196.44.31.94 24.951 ms
196.44.0.43 47.958 ms
196.44.31.170 51.223 ms
8 41.181.139.109 48.398 ms 43.432 ms
41.181.139.99 81.777 ms
9 72.14.194.74 101.685 ms 69.738 ms 104.15 ms
10 72.14.239.35 59.389 ms
72.14.239.53 85.4 ms
72.14.239.33 101.741 ms
11 8.8.8.8 74.049 ms 128.397 ms 69.725 ms


DNS Test:

nslookup www.afrihost.com

Name: www.afrihost.com
Address: 41.181.185.18


nslookup www.google.com

Name: www.google.com
Address: 216.58.223.36


nslookup thishouldfail.afrihost.com

** server can't find thisshouldfail.com: NXDOMAIN
 
Would you be able to test to another Team Speak Server? I just need to figure out if there is an issue with the protocol or an issue with the connection to the server itself.

Hey, it does the exact same. my download is fine, my ping is little jumpy not stable, but got a lot of packet loss. On other ISP accounts it is working fine.
 
Latency down South is an issue.
Download speeds are fine, however the latency will affect realtime services.

Code:
Target Name: [url]www.afrihost.com[/url]
Ping statistics for 41.181.185.18:
    Packets: Sent = 16, Received = 16, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 83ms, Average = 62ms

Tracing route to [url]www.afrihost.com[/url] [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1     3 ms     1 ms     1 ms  home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  105-236-240-129-esr-lo.mtnbusiness.co.za [105.236.240.129]
  3    43 ms    37 ms    37 ms  ipc-recieve-tb-1a.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.53.150]
  4    26 ms    17 ms    18 ms  tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.198.188]
  5    12 ms     9 ms     9 ms  unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
  6    39 ms    36 ms    37 ms  jh-cr-1.za--tb-cr-2.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]
  7    33 ms    28 ms    54 ms  jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.217]
  8    50 ms   125 ms    39 ms  [url]www.afrihost.com[/url] [41.181.185.18]

Trace complete.

The latency doesn't look too bad, definitely better compared to previous weeks.
 
Again the network tonight is way below standard, web pages taking their time to download and p2p is disgraceful. Getting 1.8mbps on a 20mb VDSL line...

http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/207558884.png

Ping Test:

ping 197.242.144.102

64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=1 ttl=57 time=222 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=2 ttl=57 time=13 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=3 ttl=57 time=14 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=4 ttl=57 time=37 ms
64 bytes from 197.242.144.102: icmp_req=5 ttl=57 time=22 ms


ping 8.8.8.8

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=1 ttl=53 time=72 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=2 ttl=53 time=59 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=3 ttl=53 time=100 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=4 ttl=53 time=54 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=5 ttl=53 time=57 ms


Trace Test:

traceroute -n 197.242.144.102

1 192.168.1.1 69.635 ms 4.512 ms 3.699 ms
2 105.236.14.65 114.112 ms 16.108 ms 24.851 ms
3 41.181.178.77 114.474 ms 38.049 ms 40.762 ms
4 196.44.0.146 51.032 ms
196.44.31.120 31.307 ms 13.805 ms
5 196.44.31.95 15.02 ms
196.44.0.42 31.08 ms 14.836 ms
6 41.181.165.115 12.801 ms 42.381 ms 38.298 ms
7 196.44.31.99 15.2 ms 20.316 ms 32.189 ms
8 196.30.1.39 16.109 ms
196.30.1.53 38.308 ms 50.462 ms
9 196.31.220.27 14.02 ms 21.943 ms
196.31.220.21 23.501 ms
10 196.31.63.202 13.599 ms 14.2 ms 23.209 ms
11 196.30.42.133 14.821 ms 14.561 ms 32.418 ms
12 197.242.144.102 19.92 ms 15.866 ms 17.991 ms


traceroute -n 8.8.8.8

1 192.168.1.1 3.346 ms 4.474 ms 8.319 ms
2 105.236.14.65 10.313 ms 12.922 ms 20.158 ms
3 41.181.178.89 19.071 ms 39.136 ms 65.5 ms
4 196.44.31.120 23.166 ms 17.7 ms
196.44.0.146 41.501 ms
5 196.44.0.42 19.141 ms 30.498 ms
196.44.31.95 17.578 ms
6 41.181.165.115 21.182 ms 21.035 ms 25.931 ms
7 196.44.31.94 24.951 ms
196.44.0.43 47.958 ms
196.44.31.170 51.223 ms
8 41.181.139.109 48.398 ms 43.432 ms
41.181.139.99 81.777 ms
9 72.14.194.74 101.685 ms 69.738 ms 104.15 ms
10 72.14.239.35 59.389 ms
72.14.239.53 85.4 ms
72.14.239.33 101.741 ms
11 8.8.8.8 74.049 ms 128.397 ms 69.725 ms


DNS Test:

nslookup www.afrihost.com

Name: www.afrihost.com
Address: 41.181.185.18


nslookup www.google.com

Name: www.google.com
Address: 216.58.223.36


nslookup thishouldfail.afrihost.com

** server can't find thisshouldfail.com: NXDOMAIN

I'm not sure if latency itself is causing this issue, the general throughput on the line should be fine. Could be something else causing your poor throughput.
If you're still seeing this, this morning drop me a PM and I can get things looked at.
 
Hey, it does the exact same. my download is fine, my ping is little jumpy not stable, but got a lot of packet loss. On other ISP accounts it is working fine.

That's very odd indeed :( Was the other TS server on the same network as the other one?
 
...anybody else having poor upload speeds on their AH VDSL lines (Cape region)?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4407764752

Over the last week or so after much complaining my latency and download issues seems fixed...but my upload speed still hasn't come back to what it should be.

The upload speeds can vary a bit, what's your normal upload speed?
 
The upload speeds can vary a bit, what's your normal upload speed?

Since I was upgraded (middle May) to VDSL my upload speed was about 1.8-1.9mbps...now (for about a week) I don't see anything above 0.8 - 0.9mbps...that's a HUGE chunk of upload speed missing somewhere.

I have an open ticket with Afrihost about this as well...
 
Since I was upgraded (middle May) to VDSL my upload speed was about 1.8-1.9mbps...now (for about a week) I don't see anything above 0.8 - 0.9mbps...that's a HUGE chunk of upload speed missing somewhere.

I have an open ticket with Afrihost about this as well...

The upload speeds are really hard for us to guarantee, it's dictated by your areas hardware so it can vary quite a bit.
 
speeds that vary, by say 10...even 20% could maybe be considered acceptable...but losing half, as in 50% of your performance? That's not acceptable to me I'm sorry!

I can understand it's annoying, but we do not have a feature to guarantee or increase upload speeds.
What's the ticket ref# though? I can follow things up from there.
 
Since I was upgraded (middle May) to VDSL my upload speed was about 1.8-1.9mbps...now (for about a week) I don't see anything above 0.8 - 0.9mbps...that's a HUGE chunk of upload speed missing somewhere.

I have an open ticket with Afrihost about this as well...

Hey slowhands, could you post your ADSL stats, especially line modulation type?
 
Hey slowhands, could you post your ADSL stats, especially line modulation type?

ughh...I'm at work now so I can only do that tonight.

What I CAN tell you is that I struggled with Afrihost for about a week to get my profile onto the VDSL profile...my line was initially upgraded to a 20mbps (I did ask for VDSL)...but I was put on ADSL. THEN...my upload speeds was what I'm seeing now, and then finally when I was upgraded I saw 1.9ish mbps upload speeds. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4368750466 (taken shortly after I say the modulation type changed.)
 
ZCF-255-83964

Thanks :)
From the results on the ticket you're seeing the same upload speeds when using other accounts too, so I think it's an overall line restriction. Looking at the DSLAM results the upload speed may not get much higher, or if it does, it won't be a permanent speed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X