Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFRIHOST, WTF?

This has been going on for too long now - and still nothing on your network status on your homepage.
 
They tried to claim that this isn't there problem earlier today... I disagree.
 
Good Morning

We saw some general latency in the South yesterday, which could explain the posts I'm seeing mostly from yesterday. Latency seems to have started rising just after midday and the continued until just after 8pm. it looks like the team made several attempts to bring latency down which worked for a time, but for the most part performance could have been poor. We are busy looking into this to learn more about what could have happened :(
 
Good Morning

We saw some general latency in the South yesterday, which could explain the posts I'm seeing mostly from yesterday. Latency seems to have started rising just after midday and the continued until just after 8pm. it looks like the team made several attempts to bring latency down which worked for a time, but for the most part performance could have been poor. We are busy looking into this to learn more about what could have happened :(

You know Afrihost, this is now every weekends story!!! Same reply every Monday, yet you fail to think there are issues?!? And nothing about the outage early Sunday morning??
 
You know Afrihost, this is now every weekends story!!! Same reply every Monday, yet you fail to think there are issues?!? And nothing about the outage early Sunday morning??

:(

It is definitely not cool that this keeps happening, especially that the South seems to be affected worse than the other regions. This really is a top priority for the Team and they are burning the midnight oil to get latencies down across the network.
 
:(

It is definitely not cool that this keeps happening, especially that the South seems to be affected worse than the other regions. This really is a top priority for the Team and they are burning the midnight oil to get latencies down across the network.

Even so, I have cancelled my line and package with Afrihost. This has been going on for way too long with no end in sight. Sorry Afrihost, you have fallen!
 
Good Morning

We saw some general latency in the South yesterday, which could explain the posts I'm seeing mostly from yesterday. Latency seems to have started rising just after midday and the continued until just after 8pm. it looks like the team made several attempts to bring latency down which worked for a time, but for the most part performance could have been poor. We are busy looking into this to learn more about what could have happened :(

Do you know what annoys me more than any of this?
1. The Network status NEVER does indicate issues [unless the whole darn network has failed]
2. The call center NEVER appears to know what you guys [AfriPeople] do and always offer the form response
Please test with the Telkom Guest account.

FRUSTRATING!

And that's on the back of the complete and utter debacle, smoke and mirrors, that was my request for a VDSL upgrade.
Dismal. AfriGuy promised to have someone call me to discuss. Absolutely shocker of an experience, which would have had me sitting like a potato for who knows how long if I hadn't lost my patience and pushed for resolution.

ARRRGGG.
I have my line with you guys and you're making it very difficult.
 
Even so, I have cancelled my line and package with Afrihost. This has been going on for way too long with no end in sight. Sorry Afrihost, you have fallen!

:(

I'm really sorry to hear that, our Team is working hard to get things sorted, and I don't think it will be much longer now. If you want to try one of our Accounts again, just drop me a PM and I'll arrange a test account for you.
 
Do you know what annoys me more than any of this?
1. The Network status NEVER does indicate issues [unless the whole darn network has failed]
2. The call center NEVER appears to know what you guys [AfriPeople] do and always offer the form response
Please test with the Telkom Guest account.

FRUSTRATING!

And that's on the back of the complete and utter debacle, smoke and mirrors, that was my request for a VDSL upgrade.
Dismal. AfriGuy promised to have someone call me to discuss. Absolutely shocker of an experience, which would have had me sitting like a potato for who knows how long if I hadn't lost my patience and pushed for resolution.

ARRRGGG.
I have my line with you guys and you're making it very difficult.

Are you still not seeing any throughput on your ADSL line? It looks to be syncing at 20Mbps, and I'm seeing any authenticated session on your ADSL account.
 
Are you still not seeing any throughput on your ADSL line? It looks to be syncing at 20Mbps, and I'm seeing any authenticated session on your ADSL account.

As I said my frustration isn't with the network glitches / problems / outages.
My issue is with point 1 and 2 in my post - i.e.: the awareness / handling of such issues by AH.

Since you did ask what my current experience is.
It's not good. Appears to be IPC latency???
Pingtrace to AH - >100ms. Hop 3 is where it falls apart.
Pingtrace to AH using CW account - perfect.

So... what's going on????

Pingtrace using Afrihost
Code:
Target Name: www.afrihost.com
         IP: 41.181.185.18
  Date/Time: 15-Jun-15 09:48:54 to 15-Jun-15 09:49:40

Hop Sent Err  PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
 1    10   0  0.0   1   3   1  home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
 2    10   0  0.0   9  11   9  105-236-240-129-esr-lo.mtnbusiness.co.za [105.236.240.129]
 3    10   0  0.0 106 152 125  [41.181.51.182]
 4    10   0  0.0 101 184 125  tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.198.188]
 5    10   0  0.0 103 145 130  unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
 6    10   0  0.0 141 162 148  jh-cr-1.za--tb-cr-2.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]
 7    10   1 10.0 139 185 161  jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.217]
 8    10   0  0.0 146 200 179  www.afrihost.com [41.181.185.18]

Pingtrace using CrystalWeb
Code:
Target Name: www.afrihost.com
         IP: 41.181.185.18
  Date/Time: 15-Jun-15 09:52:17 to 15-Jun-15 09:52:40

Hop Sent Err PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
 1    10   0 0.0   1   2   1  home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
 2    10   0 0.0   9  10   9  196-210-117-1.dynamic.isadsl.co.za [196.210.117.1]
 3    10   0 0.0  11  26  13  vlan2473.cdsl2-ctn.isdsl.net [196.38.72.193]
 4    10   0 0.0  11  20  13  [196.35.115.136]
 5    10   0 0.0  12  22  14  mi-za-cpt-p8-te0-7-0-0.ip.isnet.net [168.209.2.13]
 6    10   0 0.0  12  24  14  [168.209.6.130]
 7    10   0 0.0  11  21  13  41-208-29-210.mtnns.net [41.208.29.210]
 8    10   0 0.0  11  46  17  rb-cr-1.za.nl-ha-2.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.120]
 9    10   0 0.0  12  21  14  tb-cr-2.za--ct-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.31.107]
10    10   0 0.0  32  41  34  jh-cr-1.za--tb-cr-2.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]
11    10   0 0.0  31  36  32  jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.217]
12    10   0 0.0  31  36  32  www.afrihost.com [41.181.185.18]
 
I am on my second consecutive month of using my Telkom Account, almost exclusively, because I can't rely on Afrihost at critical times.

This is getting to be ridiculus, I have been having to pay two ISP's for over a year now, just to have a fall back option and the past 2 months I have had to purchase additional band width from Telkom because Afhrihost is not available in the evenings / weekends.

If I am forced to use Telkom as my primary account for 3 months in a row I may as well upgrade it and dump Aftrihost entirely.

Cost is no longer the issue, as it is I am paying for bandwidth I can't use, and my sole reason for sticking with Afrihost all this time, Unshaped Data, is irrelevant if a shaped account from Telkom can beat it every time in performance of my key needs.

SOON is no longer a valid estimate of when this will be resolved.

Unless Afrihost considers the south to be insignificant in terms of users and profit, May I suggest that you have someone Senior make a statement, and commitment to resolving these issues, and let us know that we are not just being fobbed of with PR speak as appears to be the case so far.
 
Last edited:
I just QQ'd on afrihost too.

This latency problem has been going on far too long.

AH reps are more than happy admitting that there is a problem on these forums, but on their homepage things are "copacetic" and "running like a bomb". I'm sorry, hasn't the service been consistently sub-par over the weekend between 6pm-10pm for about 4 weeks or more now? You call this "running like a bomb?"

Why are you hiding this from your average customer?
 
I am on my second consecutive month of using my Telkom Account, almost exclusively, because I can't rely on Afrihost at critical times.

This is getting to be ridiculus, I have been having to pay two ISP's for over a year now, just to have a fall back option and the past 2 months I have had to purchase additional band width from Telkom because Afhrihost is not available in the evenings / weekends.

If I am forced to use Telkom as my primary account for 3 months in a row I may as well upgrade it and dump Aftrihost entirely.

Cost is no longer the issue, as it is I am paying for bandwidth I can't use, and my sole reason for sticking with Afrihost all this time, Unshaped Data, is irrelevant if a shaped account from Telkom can beat it every time in performance of my key needs.

SOON is no longer a valid estimate of when this will be resolved.

Unless Afrihost considers the south to be insignificant in terms of users and profit, May I suggest that you have someone Senior make a statement, and commitment to resolving these issues, and let us know that we are not just being fobbed of with PR speak as appears to be the case so far.

I can definitely understand the frustration at this point, it is silly to need to have two separate ADSL accounts. I cannot go into any specific details but we are investigating all possible avenues and options to get the South running smoothly. Can you please send me a PM with your account details, I want to check something.
 
I just QQ'd on afrihost too.

This latency problem has been going on far too long.

AH reps are more than happy admitting that there is a problem on these forums, but on their homepage things are "copacetic" and "running like a bomb". I'm sorry, hasn't the service been consistently sub-par over the weekend between 6pm-10pm for about 4 weeks or more now? You call this "running like a bomb?"

Why are you hiding this from your average customer?

We're definitely not hiding any information from any of our Users, if that User has an issue ourselves and the Team will be completely open about it. The issue with this latency in particular is that it does not affect all Users equally and some Users not all. We've had numerous reports of Clients running in the South without in noticeable loss of throughput or latency.

If it were up to me, I would probably have put a notice up, but it is for the Higher-ups to decide, and it is a difficult decision, as putting up a notice can very easily lead to an increase in queries as our average Users clamour to find out if they are affected or not.
 
As I said my frustration isn't with the network glitches / problems / outages.
My issue is with point 1 and 2 in my post - i.e.: the awareness / handling of such issues by AH.

Since you did ask what my current experience is.
It's not good. Appears to be IPC latency???
Pingtrace to AH - >100ms. Hop 3 is where it falls apart.
Pingtrace to AH using CW account - perfect.

So... what's going on????

Pingtrace using Afrihost
Code:
Target Name: www.afrihost.com
         IP: 41.181.185.18
  Date/Time: 15-Jun-15 09:48:54 to 15-Jun-15 09:49:40

Hop Sent Err  PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
 1    10   0  0.0   1   3   1  home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
 2    10   0  0.0   9  11   9  105-236-240-129-esr-lo.mtnbusiness.co.za [105.236.240.129]
 3    10   0  0.0 106 152 125  [41.181.51.182]
 4    10   0  0.0 101 184 125  tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.198.188]
 5    10   0  0.0 103 145 130  unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
 6    10   0  0.0 141 162 148  jh-cr-1.za--tb-cr-2.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]
 7    10   1 10.0 139 185 161  jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.217]
 8    10   0  0.0 146 200 179  www.afrihost.com [41.181.185.18]

Pingtrace using CrystalWeb
Code:
Target Name: www.afrihost.com
         IP: 41.181.185.18
  Date/Time: 15-Jun-15 09:52:17 to 15-Jun-15 09:52:40

Hop Sent Err PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
 1    10   0 0.0   1   2   1  home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
 2    10   0 0.0   9  10   9  196-210-117-1.dynamic.isadsl.co.za [196.210.117.1]
 3    10   0 0.0  11  26  13  vlan2473.cdsl2-ctn.isdsl.net [196.38.72.193]
 4    10   0 0.0  11  20  13  [196.35.115.136]
 5    10   0 0.0  12  22  14  mi-za-cpt-p8-te0-7-0-0.ip.isnet.net [168.209.2.13]
 6    10   0 0.0  12  24  14  [168.209.6.130]
 7    10   0 0.0  11  21  13  41-208-29-210.mtnns.net [41.208.29.210]
 8    10   0 0.0  11  46  17  rb-cr-1.za.nl-ha-2.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.120]
 9    10   0 0.0  12  21  14  tb-cr-2.za--ct-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.31.107]
10    10   0 0.0  32  41  34  jh-cr-1.za--tb-cr-2.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]
11    10   0 0.0  31  36  32  jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.217]
12    10   0 0.0  31  36  32  www.afrihost.com [41.181.185.18]

Wow... That's chalk and cheese. I'm going to send you a PM with a Test Account, would you mind switching to that quickly and seeing if there is any difference?
 
We're definitely not hiding any information from any of our Users, if that User has an issue ourselves and the Team will be completely open about it. The issue with this latency in particular is that it does not affect all Users equally and some Users not all. We've had numerous reports of Clients running in the South without in noticeable loss of throughput or latency.

If it were up to me, I would probably have put a notice up, but it is for the Higher-ups to decide, and it is a difficult decision, as putting up a notice can very easily lead to an increase in queries as our average Users clamour to find out if they are affected or not.

Adding to your comment, my mom is an "average user" and she is with Telkom Internet. She is not IT literate and hence when she having problems with her ISP, she plays it down to "this is how the internet is". She won't complain, move her service or anything. To her if it works it works, if it doesn't she'll try again later. THAT is the average user!
 
I'm in PTA and it's been crap since Saturday. Something makes me think that it is not "South" specific. It still is crap.
 
Adding to your comment, my mom is an "average user" and she is with Telkom Internet. She is not IT literate and hence when she having problems with her ISP, she plays it down to "this is how the internet is". She won't complain, move her service or anything. To her if it works it works, if it doesn't she'll try again later. THAT is the average user!

I don't think that any User even an "average" User should have to deal with slow or intermittent service just because they are unaware of how their connection should perform. And it is these Clients that we go to great lengths to ensure that they have a connection that is reliable and stable. We value all of our Clients and we really do take giving them a great experience very seriously.

When this doesn't happen we make damned sure we fix it, and these latency issues are a major focus point at the moment.
 
I'm in PTA and it's been crap since Saturday. Something makes me think that it is not "South" specific. It still is crap.

Have you been seeing throughput in general affected or only specific services?
 
Have you been seeing throughput in general affected or only specific services?
Twitch and youtube has been really bad lately. This morning seemed to be more general badness. Took 45 mins to do my timesheets over a vpn.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X