Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. Afrihost pretty much unusable, ping 300ms. Switched to MWEB account and getting 22ms...

And it's not just latency, speed is also slower.
 
Another day same trend.

Able to stream source on Twitch during the day.
Come 4PM I have to drop to high.
Then 6:30PM I have to drop to medium

I have a 100mb fibre line and it's ruined by shocking international throughput. Please sort out your congestion on international links.

Edit: 7PM and I am have to stream low. At a loss for words.
 
Ditto to all the above. AH: 200+ms ping latency and ~300KBs download on SAIX, OpenWeb: 13ms ping latency and 600KBs download; both on my 10Mb line, which Hellkom will only allow to sync at 6Mbs.

Out of interest I looked on the Uncapped thread as well and the story is the same. Poor latency, poor downloads, and no recognition by any AH representative that there are widespread issues with the services they are providing, at least within the southern region.

The network status page on the AH web-site is a work of fiction, and has been for months now.

Once again, I looked at what means to be a loyal customer and decided to give AH another month. But it can't go on: why should I keep paying AH ~R1000 per month for a service which I'm not getting; AH support has always been second-to-none, unfortunately they're being badly let down by bean-counters and technical teams and as the interface between the customers and the latter, they're bearing the brunt. But R1000 is too much to have to pay for good support alone: I'd much rather have the service I pay for and *** support, than *** service and excellent support!

Double /meh.
 
Last edited:
205740062.png

Been like this for the majority of the weekend plus most of the week.. Cannot do any online gaming due to poor latency.
 
Wow. I thought my PC was using background bandwidth. All my games at 300+ ms ping. No joke.
Now I see everybody is having the same problem. Or most at least.
 
Yep I had to raid tonight on Web Africa as usual, afrihost even worse than usual
 
Last edited:
Same situation for me, 200-300ms and 5-10% packetloss to local servers last night, other ISPs flawless. Can we please have some explanation? Will more IPC be provisioned in a reasonable timeframe for the South region?
 
Same situation for me, 200-300ms and 5-10% packetloss to local servers last night, other ISPs flawless. Can we please have some explanation? Will more IPC be provisioned in a reasonable timeframe for the South region?

lol, why should they fix the problem when people just keep paying the monthly sub? There is no reason to increase your IPC expenditure when your users are so "loyal".

But on a serious note, the MyBB article said that Telkom extra IPC should be available soon.
 
My pings on speed test are also much higher than normal..

Then I also have issues streaming YouTube clips. Streaming Supersport is working ok, but at times it goes into low quality mode.

I wonder if Google is taking strain after releasing Google photos. I for one started uploading all my pictures, which I paused for now, but could be affecting network traffic all over.

Really sorry about that :( We saw high latency in the South over peak periods this weekend.
 
AH trace:
C:\Users\nicki>tracert -d -w 500 www.afrihost.com

Tracing route to www.afrihost.com [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.10.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * 153 ms 85 ms 41.181.221.253
4 42 ms 39 ms 159 ms 41.181.221.254
5 * * 115 ms 41.181.198.188
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 6 ms * * 196.44.0.217
10 * * 246 ms 41.181.185.18

Trace complete.

WA Trace:
C:\Users\nicki>tracert -d -w 500 www.afrihost.com

Tracing route to www.afrihost.com [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.10.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * 64 ms 80 ms 196.38.72.194
4 * * 36 ms 196.38.72.193
5 33 ms 34 ms 34 ms 196.35.115.136
6 33 ms 34 ms 34 ms 168.209.2.13
7 33 ms 34 ms 34 ms 168.209.6.131
8 34 ms 34 ms 34 ms 196.223.22.31
9 35 ms 35 ms 33 ms 196.44.0.120
10 37 ms 38 ms * 196.44.31.107
11 53 ms 67 ms 54 ms 196.44.31.66
12 51 ms 54 ms 50 ms 196.44.0.217
13 52 ms 54 ms 54 ms 41.181.185.18

Trace complete.

The latency looks terrible here :(
It does compare to our network monitoring - we saw high latency in the South during peak periods this weekend. Really sorry about these performance drops.
 
Afriguy, hopefully you can shed some light on my question that I am trying to get an answer from help desk, following was my question ...

In fact I can read, with all respect, what I was actually asking you sir was given the date of the month and the fact that I have already paid for the previous (current) package and that I have a top up today what would you, the consultant at the “HELP DESK” suggests I should do in order to migrate to uncapped, if this question is challenging please escalate my request to Gian

Sorry to hear about the troubles here :( Not sure if the question was edited out or it relates to topups.
Either way, drop me a PM with the question or ticket ref# and I can take a look.
 
International throughput is really bad.

Able to watch Twitch at source during the day (as I should be able to) however as soon as the evening comes I can't even stream at medium. Works fine on other ISP accounts.

Would be nice to see better international throughput on the MTN network. Same as the whole thing with You Tube. You can't steam unless you are connecting to the South African mirrors.

Sorry to hear :(
Did things improve for you at all?
 
On Afrihost

Code:
ping mybroadband.co.za

Pinging mybroadband.co.za [197.242.89.170] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=199ms TTL=51
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=201ms TTL=51
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=212ms TTL=51
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=188ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 197.242.89.170:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 188ms, Maximum = 212ms, Average = 200ms

Code:
tracert mybroadband.co.za

Tracing route to mybroadband.co.za [197.242.89.170]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  home.gateway.pace.net [192.168.1.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3   216 ms   173 ms   171 ms  41.181.53.213
  4   203 ms   146 ms   150 ms  ipc-send-tb-3a.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.53.214]
  5   223 ms   160 ms   155 ms  tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.19
8.188]
  6   174 ms   177 ms   176 ms  unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
  7   171 ms   173 ms   167 ms  196.44.31.106
  8   186 ms   187 ms   186 ms  nl-ha-2.za--rb-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.121
]
  9   173 ms   171 ms   165 ms  africainx.cinx.net.za [196.223.22.47]
 10   186 ms   183 ms   182 ms  CORE.GP-CN-HET-MEE-1.TO.GP-HV-ICT-MEE-1.DFA.P2P.
10G.za.africainx.net [41.84.13.66]
 11   199 ms   202 ms   199 ms  41-66-132-246-f6.HET001-CPE-1-to-GP-CN-HET-MEE-1
.africainx.net [41.66.132.246]
 12   207 ms   216 ms   218 ms  core-access-switch1.jnb1.host-h.net [197.189.193
.1]
 13   209 ms   210 ms   209 ms  row-access-switch1-row3-4.jnb1.host-h.net [197.1
89.193.36]
 14   221 ms   217 ms   218 ms  197.242.89.170

Trace complete.


On webafrica
Code:
mybroadband.co.za

Pinging mybroadband.co.za [197.242.89.170] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=50
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=50
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=50
Reply from 197.242.89.170: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 197.242.89.170:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 24ms
Code:
tracert mybroadband.co.za

Tracing route to mybroadband.co.za [197.242.89.170]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1    <1 ms     2 ms    <1 ms  home.gateway.pace.net [192.168.1.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    55 ms     7 ms     7 ms  cdsl2-ctn-vl2473-ipc.ip.isnet.net [196.38.72.194
]
  4     7 ms     7 ms     6 ms  vlan2473.cdsl2-ctn.isdsl.net [196.38.72.193]
  5     7 ms     6 ms     6 ms  196.35.115.136
  6     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  mi-za-cpt-p8-te0-7-0-0.ip.isnet.net [168.209.2.1
3]
  7     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  css1-ctn-gi0-2.ip.isnet.net [168.209.6.10]
  8     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  196.36.84.154
  9    24 ms    24 ms    24 ms  CORE.GP-CN-HET-MEE-1.TO.GP-HV-ICT-MEE-1.DFA.P2P.
10G.za.africainx.net [41.84.13.66]
 10    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  41-66-132-246-f6.HET001-CPE-1-to-GP-CN-HET-MEE-1
.africainx.net [41.66.132.246]
 11    26 ms    25 ms    25 ms  core-access-switch1.jnb1.host-h.net [197.189.193
.1]
 12    26 ms    27 ms    31 ms  row-access-switch1-row3-4.jnb1.host-h.net [197.1
89.193.36]
 13    24 ms    24 ms    24 ms  197.242.89.170

Trace complete.

Note that I swapped afrihost > webafrica for the pings, then swapped webafrica > afrihost for the tracert.
These are local tracerts. 400ping for smite, 380ms for HotS on Afrihost. Less than half on Webafrica.

Sincerely sorry about the performance here, we did see increased latency on the network during this weekend in the South :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X