Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

chaos_theory

Well I'm supposed to get the router before 11 today. So far nothing yet. But still an hour and half to go. My normal LTE data is finished, so I really hope it arrives on time. lol.
The whole thing annoys me because they also weren't clear, that MTN will *block* the SIM card if you don't have an LTE-A device. I have to go and buy one now, just to have internet. I also relied on their lead time to provide the SIM card and stopped my telkom contract to match that time-frame. But obviously, that was a mistake because I ended up without Internet for 2 weeks.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The whole thing annoys me because they also weren't clear, that MTN will *block* the SIM card if you don't have an LTE-A device. I have to go and buy one now, just to have internet. I also relied on their lead time to provide the SIM card and stopped my telkom contract to match that time-frame. But obviously, that was a mistake because I ended up without Internet for 2 weeks.
It is actually very clear to be honest. They even list the routers that are compatible with MTN. Also it is not any LTE router.

Please note that Pure LTE products are locked to a single location (specified by the client on signup). Service is only available using compatible LTE devices (specified by us).

Pure LTE SIM + Device packages will be subject to a cancellation penalty of R999 if cancelled within 6 months of signup. Cancellation penalties do not apply to Pure LTE SIM Only packages.
I do agree that they take quite a long time to deliver the router and sim, I think it is because they set it up for you. All you need to do is plug it in at the wall and it is ready to go.

1582009042625.png

1582009064768.png

chaos_theory

It is actually very clear to be honest. They even list the routers that are compatible with MTN. Also it is not any LTE router.
They don't do a good job of explaining why they have an "approved" list of routers. It can be interpreted as "You need a modem with SIM card capabilities", rather than, you need one specifically for CAT6 LTE-A.

RedViking

Nord of the South
They don't do a good job of explaining why they have an "approved" list of routers. It can be interpreted as "You need a modem with SIM card capabilities", rather than, you need one specifically for CAT6 LTE-A.
You can simply just ask them. Honestly dude, this is not an issue. They make it as simple as possible that it will work for 99% of the users. Try to explain to the general population what a CAT6 router is and how to choose the correct one. And there is no guarantee that the user bought the correct router. Also it is difficult to train the support staff to know how every single CAT6 router interface works for support. Cause when something goes wrong with your sim/router you are going to contact them to solve it.

What is an issue is slow support and delivery times.

Dianysis

Expert Member
Well done AH for ignoring my posts.
If myBB is not a support channel anymore, it would be awesome if you could tell us.
Someone else asked this on one of the other threads.
Surprisingly, other threads and issues get assistance.
I will not post any more messages for assistance (from AH), as it is irritating me, let alone the other forumites.
Let me just say that this is not a good show.
I have PM'd and posted here.
No response in over a week.

Last edited:

Dianysis

Expert Member
Would anyone be willing to run a local vs international speedtest (to London) and post the results here?
I would just like to compare.

Jake45

Expert Member
@Dianysis: These are the speeds (MyBroadband speed test) that I am getting at the moment on Afrihost Pure LTE. My connection wasn't perfect earlier this afternoon as I was having problems with loading pictures from dailymail.co.uk. Sometimes these types of problems disappear after a week or two.

If you are still unhappy with the performance after a few weeks then it might be time to look at a different service. Telkom is always slow for me during the day so I'm not sure that will be an improvement and Rain Fixed LTE is no longer available. What other options are you considering?

Ping: 21ms
Download: 26.42Mbps
Upload: 6.74Mbps

Dianysis

Expert Member
I don't have any other options unfortunately, except to move back to Supersonic.
It is definitely an AH issue.
My local speedtests range between 75 - 90 mbps.
International to London & Netherlands is 2 mbps in the evenings.
It is not the tower I connect to nor is it the router.
I tested my MTN contract sim in the router (connecting to same tower) and get 80+ mbps to London on the same server (Vodafone UK on Ookla). Swapped back to the MTN LTE sim and is dead. All profiles etc are correct.
I am just trying to do my own troubleshooting to see if it is only me having these issues or others as well.

Jake45

Expert Member
I don't have any other options unfortunately, except to move back to Supersonic.
Do you mean Supersonic LTE? There could be differences in performance due to different network routings and configurations. I'm not sure whether there would be much difference between the Afrihost and Axxess services though as they are both part of the same company so might use the same infrastructure. I would expect that the MTN Mobile services would have a higher priority than any of the Fixed LTE services.

All of the LTE services that I have used have had performance issues from time to time. I only noticed the Pure LTE slowdowns after the SAT3/WACS cable break so I am hoping that the problem will resolve quite soon. I am hoping that this is not a sign of more widespread congestion issues.

Dianysis

Expert Member
Do you mean Supersonic LTE? There could be differences in performance due to different network routings and configurations. I'm not sure whether there would be much difference between the Afrihost and Axxess services though as they are both part of the same company so might use the same infrastructure. I would expect that the MTN Mobile services would have a higher priority than any of the Fixed LTE services.

All of the LTE services that I have used have had performance issues from time to time. I only noticed the Pure LTE slowdowns after the SAT3/WACS cable break so I am hoping that the problem will resolve quite soon. I am hoping that this is not a sign of more widespread congestion issues.
Yeah, Supersonic LTE which also uses MTN Sim but has different routing, as you said.
I am concerned for two reasons:
1. From the network notices page - "Our network is currently performing close to normal levels, and clients should be enjoying a much better internet experience."
If this is close to normal for international, then it sucks.
2. According to the news the cables have been fixed, but I have not noticed an improvement. International is basically dead in the evenings, during peak time. Last night, only after 10pm did it start improving.
Thus why I am trying to see if it is an issue my side or not. I do not believe so as I tested my contract MTN sim during the problem time and it was flying internationally.

pXius

I'm using TP-Link MR6400 router with MTN fixed LTE and it's been working fine for the last few hours. Averaging about 15mbps down, 20 up. It's an old router and doesn't support aggregation. It has all the bands MTN uses and so far so good....

EDIT: aaaand it's blocked.

Guess I'm spending R2.1k on takeAlot for a B618. Hopefully Afrihost can unblock the card, the support conversation I just had via Whatsapp was laughable at best.

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I'm using TP-Link MR6400 router with MTN fixed LTE and it's been working fine for the last few hours. Averaging about 15mbps down, 20 up. It's an old router and doesn't support aggregation. It has all the bands MTN uses and so far so good....

EDIT: aaaand it's blocked.

Guess I'm spending R2.1k on takeAlot for a B618. Hopefully Afrihost can unblock the card, the support conversation I just had via Whatsapp was laughable at best.
There's a forum member selling a B525 for R1 300 if you want.

It IS for sale, immediately. R1300 with the battery pack. I'll send you a PM.

Dianysis

Expert Member
F***ing pathetic.

When querying with WhatsApp and Email support I get told the following:
Check that the data is enabled.
Check that data roaming is on.
Check the APN profile.
Test internet connection again.
Nothing of real use.
Seriously, AH is making Supersonic's support look amazing.
EDIT: I see p2p is also being shaped to hell and gone. Bloody hell. And just FYI, not a single peep from any of the reps. Even after sending PM's. Support really has gone south.
@AfriMan @AfriFella @AfriGuy @AfriNatic @Afrihost-Gian

Last edited:

Jake45

Expert Member
I did have a few slowdowns earlier in the day. Here is a London test just after midnight on my Afrihost Pure LTE 30+30GB package. The needle starts off fairly slowly and only increases about halfway through. I have noticed problems loading pictures when reading dailymail.co.uk during the day. My service was working better before the cable breaks but it's possible that many more customers have joined the network in the last few weeks.

Here is the same test using Telkom Mobile

Last edited:

Dianysis

Expert Member
I did have a few slowdowns earlier in the day. Here is a London test just after midnight on my Afrihost Pure LTE 30+30GB package. The needle starts off fairly slowly and only increases about halfway through. I have noticed problems loading pictures when reading dailymail.co.uk during the day. My service was working better before the cable breaks but it's possible that many more customers have joined the network in the last few weeks.

Here is the same test using Telkom Mobile
Thanks so much.
Can you try that same speedtest tonight at around 7pm? Sorry for asking for another one. My issue is in the afternoon/ evening during peak time.
I know it is not the tower etc.