Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks, much appreciated.
Just looking at all my options. Currently using combination of Telkom LTE and Rain, but my Telkom has gone down from 8-13MB dl to 1-5MB dl in the last few weeks and this is at 02:00 am.

OT, will the above be true for Supersonic as well since they use MTN towers?
Yes so with Supersonic the traffic gets handed over to the MTN Business network as Supersonic uses MTN business for their network.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Thanks, much appreciated.
Just looking at all my options. Currently using combination of Telkom LTE and Rain, but my Telkom has gone down from 8-13MB dl to 1-5MB dl in the last few weeks and this is at 02:00 am.

OT, will the above be true for Supersonic as well since they use MTN towers?
It should give you a reasonable idea of what you can expect.

NitsZA

The MTN service from Afrihost is very frustrating - when it is working it is amazing near 50mbps speed, but it is so inconsistent, i have constant issues - i had my simcard not working for over a week after the first month of the switchover from Cell C(they forgot to RICA it) then more than once additional data purchased on my account and showing as available was not allocated to the sim, I have contiuous issues where they need to "refresh" the connection - Support is almost never available in the hours I actually use the connection, even during normal hours it takes 5 to 24 hours to get a response on whatsapp support, and some of the responses to auppoet tickets are crazy - `move the router close to another window' - come on guys if speed was running at 50mbps and the next day at 500kbps and it shows full signal on 4g+ its not a modem positioning problem - it is a network problem
I have the same issue, runs at 30Mbps + and then down to less than 1Mb with pings well over 400ms. its random, and like you, my signal is always full. its definetly a network problem somewhere . I've logged a request but I get generic responses and troubleshooting advise. I gave up.

Dianysis

Expert Member
Yeah, totally unusable for me now.
My measly 10 mbps adsl line seems blazing fast compared to my FLTE.

EDIT: Not enjoying this at the moment. Really hope that my international performance will improve once the cables have been fixed.

On FLTE:

On my 10 mbps ADSL:
@AfriMan @AfriGuy @AfriNatic @AfriFella

Any comment? Update? Assistance?
Will these speeds be fixed once the cables have been repaired? Or is this to become the norm?

International is literally unusable, which is a big issue for me.

Last edited:

AsianSpaceman

@AfriMan @AfriGuy

Any comment? Update? Assistance?
Will these speeds be fixed once the cables have been repaired? Or is this to become the norm?

International is literally unusable, which is a big issue for me.
I've been having these speeds for local and international. I've been wanting to switch over to telkom to see if it makes any difference, however recently I've seen an increasing amount of people having the same speeds, which makes me really think I might get the same speeds and regret the switch.

Dianysis

Expert Member
AH reps on holiday? 3 days since I asked if they can give some insight and not a peep.

RedViking

Nord of the South
AH reps on holiday? 3 days since I asked if they can give some insight and not a peep.
Post in the "Rate Afrihost" thread. You will get a response in 3...2...1...

;)

Dianysis

Expert Member
Well cable breaks should be fixed and operating again on the 16th ...
Let's hope that solves the issue..
The part that concerns me is that on their website they state that "Our network is currently performing close to normal levels, and clients should be enjoying a much better internet experience."
If this is near normal, then I am concerned.
I do not know what normal is as I was only with AH for a couple of days and then the cables broke.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Let's hope that solves the issue..
The part that concerns me is that on their website they state that "Our network is currently performing close to normal levels, and clients should be enjoying a much better internet experience."
If this is near normal, then I am concerned.
I do not know what normal is as I was only with AH for a couple of days and then the cables broke.
You know a bloke, called Murphy ... ;)

chaos_theory

If all goes well I get it on the 17th.

So that is 11 days to deliver a router. Ouch.
Also waited more than 2 weeks to receive mine. It's to be delivered tomorrow. They told me, they have a big backlog because of the Cell C migration to LTE? Not sure what the story is there.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Also waited more than 2 weeks to receive mine. It's to be delivered tomorrow. They told me, they have a big backlog because of the Cell C migration to LTE? Not sure what the story is there.
Well I'm supposed to get the router before 11 today. So far nothing yet. But still an hour and half to go. My normal LTE data is finished, so I really hope it arrives on time. lol.

wpc9194

Pricing:

30GB
Anytime
30GB
Night time
R199.00pm

60GB
Anytime
60GB
Night time
R349.00pm

100GB
Anytime
100GB
Night time
R549.00pm

150GB
Anytime
150GB
Night time
R749.00pm

Top-ups

1GB Anytime
R10.00

2GB Anytime
R18.00

5GB Anytime
R45.00

10GB Anytime
R70.00

25GB Anytime
R150.00

50GB Anytime
R300.00

100GB Anytime
R600.00

Coverage: https://www.mtn.co.za/Pages/Coverage_Map.aspx
Good pricing, but be aware they (MTN) LOCK your router at one address (Tower Lock)