Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

RedViking

Nord of the South
@cavedog MTN Fixed LTE reliable? (besides for the odd outages). Are the speeds consistent?

I am getting gatvol of Telkom ADSL.

cavedog

Honorary Master
@cavedog MTN Fixed LTE reliable? (besides for the odd outages). Are the speeds consistent?

I am getting gatvol of Telkom ADSL.
Well the tower part would depend on what is available on the tower. If you have good signal it should be very reliable.

The traffic gets handed over to Afrihosts network and they do the rest. So if Afrihost network is experiencing an issue you will be affected as well and if the MTN tower is down you would be affected too.

In general if you have good signal and the tower is not congested you will have a very decent experience on MTN fixed lte. Remember they don't have many affordable bundle options so the network is not as congested. Also there are way more towers compared to Telkom.

All those towers you see in Richards Bay. MTN has antennas on each of them and there is a lot that popped up. With Telkom they basically have 3 towers in Richards Bay so more data users per tower than MTN.

Reactions: Yuu

RedViking

Nord of the South
Well the tower part would depend on what is available on the tower. If you have good signal it should be very reliable.

The traffic gets handed over to Afrihosts network and they do the rest. So if Afrihost network is experiencing an issue you will be affected as well and if the MTN tower is down you would be affected too.

In general if you have good signal and the tower is not congested you will have a very decent experience on MTN fixed lte. Remember they don't have many affordable bundle options so the network is not as congested. Also there are way more towers compared to Telkom.

All those towers you see in Richards Bay. MTN has antennas on each of them and there is a lot that popped up. With Telkom they basically have 3 towers in Richards Bay so more data users per tower than MTN.
Awesome. I am going to order the 30+30 and test it out. If all goes well. I'll cancel ADSL (oh hell I am not looking forward to this) and get the biggest bundle available.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Awesome. I am going to order the 30+30 and test it out. If all goes well. I'll cancel ADSL (oh hell I am not looking forward to this) and get the biggest bundle available.
The nice thing is you get an Air Mobile ip address as the wan ip address in the router. That means that if you use the DMZ function in the router you will have an Open NAT.

Reactions: Yuu

RedViking

Nord of the South
The nice thing is you get an Air Mobile ip address as the wan ip address in the router. That means that if you use the DMZ function in the router you will have an Open NAT.
In english please. This is good news for my server? As that is my biggest worry due to the lack of static IP.

Menace

No internet since yesterday evening around midnight. Have reset router a few times and still nothing. Is it just me or is this related to the outage?

RedViking

Nord of the South
No internet since yesterday evening around midnight. Have reset router a few times and still nothing. Is it just me or is this related to the outage?
I also have no Internet, but ADSL. My mobile came back on this morning (Afrihost APN).

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
I doubt sounds like MTN might have blocked the sim. You need to log a ticket to have the block removed.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Don't think there is an issue now. You can PM me and I'll check if there is an issue.