Afrihost Pure DSL

MRK911

So Afrihost has its offerings out...

Seems to be more than Telkom and Vox

1591783772993.png

EnT@nGleD

Not really impressed with the pricing.... The uncapped account appears to have a threshold of R250gb a month.

Currently pay:-
R605 - Bundled 40mb dsl and 100gb Afrihost (Data is for backup in the event of Vox being down/high latency)
R210 - Land line
R350 - 400gb Vox
R1 165 - Total

If I take out the landline the above method is still cheaper and I am sure that the uncapped account does not offer more than 1 concurrent connection (share the cap with the office and a co-worker who both use less than 50gb a month combined). At this stage will stick to what I have.

Jake45

Expert Member
Not impressed with the latest Pure DSL offers. I think I will stick with Pure LTE in the meantime and hope that the cost of data reduces very soon!

rambo919

Honorary Master
For once afrihost seems to be outright dishonest, they say no shaping or throttling but then throw in a AUP that specifies it in effect.....

tkbaby

There are no usage limits from what I can see, where did you guys see that info? I think you confusing the uncapped and pure DSL products

ghostRgg

Currently on a 10mbps and it says this on their site: You do not have Pure DSL coverage...

Yeah vox also declined and the guys a few houses down are on 40mbps and we are even on 10. So not sure whats up with that.

cavedog

Honorary Master
For once afrihost seems to be outright dishonest, they say no shaping or throttling but then throw in a AUP that specifies it in effect.....

Pure DSL and legacy accounts are completely unshaped uncapped and unthrottled. The aup will be updated accordingly.

slumdawg

Currently on a 10mbps and it says this on their site: You do not have Pure DSL coverage...

Yeah vox also declined and the guys a few houses down are on 40mbps and we are even on 10. So not sure whats up with that.
Are you able to stream with your 10mb...

EnT@nGleD

AfriFella confirmed that there is no usage policy on these accounts and you can use as many gb as you like and will not be throttled or shaped.

ghostRgg

Are you able to stream with your 10mb...
Sure if you throw the bitrate to 700 and have a stationary stream like drawing, otherwise no. You are better off grabbing the 24/7 rain package and getting 10/10 Mbps which is plenty for streaming.

But take in mind I have old DSL at 10.2mbps and 1.02 up. Which is realistically 8.2Mbps and 0.75 Mbps in reality

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I have zero confidence in any "pure" products from Afrihost. When I use my "pure uncapped" account on my 100mb fibre it behaves more like a 20mb connection, except for speedtests which I assume are prioritized.
Switch over to literally any capped account and its back to being a 100mb fibre connection again.

mathebus

Same here, but it's finally updated on my ClientZone. Still pending tho
Aha, same this side. Will update on this thread about the whole experience and transition. It would be funny if they rolled out fibre in my area now...funny but welcomed.

ganja bobby

They're having issues with Telkom. And it's the same story repeatedly as on other forums.. Openserve have removed all products from the coverage map and Afrihost also get a response that there is no service in the area. I have been waiting for a line speed upgrade since the 18th of May, before the Pure DSL packages were announced but it seems it also can't be done because of this issue. They are aware of it at least.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Aha, same this side. Will update on this thread about the whole experience and transition. It would be funny if they rolled out fibre in my area now...funny but welcomed.
Was thinking the same thing, all this effort for new ADSL.... just to switch to fibre anyway.

xbxbau5

Fibre cables have been laid, boxes installed on outside walls, all in early Feb. All by SADV, but then come April with them being absorbed into Vuma, only to be told we have to wait another year before our area is active

mathebus

Was thinking the same thing, all this effort for new ADSL.... just to switch to fibre anyway.
ill take my chances lol. fibre was supposed to be here 2 years ago. Might as well get whatever is best at the moment :) :(

mathebus

Fibre cables have been laid, boxes installed on outside walls, all in early Feb. All by SADV, but then come April with them being absorbed into Vuma, only to be told we have to wait another year before our area is active
why the whole extra year? COVID? winter weather? its sad coz any slight inconvenience halts these FNO from rolling out :(