Afrihost Pure DSL

xbxbau5

why the whole extra year? COVID? winter weather? its sad coz any slight inconvenience halts these FNO from rolling out :(

No one could provide clarity. We contacted Vuma directly, SADV redirects you to Vuma. Even tried our luck with Afrihost and WebAfrica, who also couldn't give a timeline or estimate. Just that we should maybe try again in 8-12months

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
No one could provide clarity. We contacted Vuma directly, SADV redirects you to Vuma. Even tried our luck with Afrihost and WebAfrica, who also couldn't give a timeline or estimate. Just that we should maybe try again in 8-12months
Could be worse we had fibre war between octotel and vuma.

Octotel won and applied for permissions to install which they got(vuma said won't bother to compete). Then decided they wont make money off the area and just left it. Octotel is busy installing fibre on every area around me expect where I am.

We contacted vuma again and they said they willing to go ahead if they get enough sign ups now.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So I placed my Pure DSL order and now what? into the abyss? not even a confirmation email to say my order has been placed? @AfriFella

Pure DSL orders are done manually. There isn't any provisions currently for automation. We have a dedicated DSL Lines team that monitor all DSL line orders. If you aren't getting any feedback on the order just drop me a pm and I will have a look for you. Even if the order is placed it could take some time for new orders to be processed and installed by Openserve.

mathebus

Pure DSL orders are done manually. There isn't any provisions currently for automation. We have a dedicated DSL Lines team that monitor all DSL line orders. If you aren't getting any feedback on the order just drop me a pm and I will have a look for you. Even if the order is placed it could take some time for new orders to be processed and installed by Openserve.
'Order pending' reflected in my clientzone for Pure DSL. Thanks Cavedog, will keep updating on this forum on progress. Hopefully openserve calls tomorrow or Monday to arrange an install. Interested to see the process and the performance on this new 'naked' line

"D"

Expert Member
They're having issues with Telkom. And it's the same story repeatedly as on other forums.. Openserve have removed all products from the coverage map and Afrihost also get a response that there is no service in the area. I have been waiting for a line speed upgrade since the 18th of May, before the Pure DSL packages were announced but it seems it also can't be done because of this issue. They are aware of it at least.
Links, please? Would like to check it out...

ganja bobby

tkbaby

@AfriGuy, @AfriFella or @cavedog can you guys provide any clarity regarding my Pure DSL download speed?

My 20 mbps pure dsl is also showing in clientzone. I too have the fibre laid with the box outside my wall by SADV so who knows what Vumatel wants to do and how long we’ll wait for fibre.

I have a question though, I currently have a 20mbps VDSL line and currently have an upload speed of 4mbps. In clientzone it shows only a 1mbps upload. Is that just a generic value inserted for now or will that be my upload speed under Pure DSL? Those of you with an order pending for Pure DSL, what does it show your upload speed will be?

Attachments

• 27663060-3541-4821-8C3A-B87A69E11A6D.jpeg
    27663060-3541-4821-8C3A-B87A69E11A6D.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 39

cavedog

Honorary Master
@AfriGuy, @AfriFella or @cavedog can you guys provide any clarity regarding my Pure DSL download speed?

My 20 mbps pure dsl is also showing in clientzone. I too have the fibre laid with the box outside my wall by SADV so who knows what Vumatel wants to do and how long we’ll wait for fibre.

I have a question though, I currently have a 20mbps VDSL line and currently have an upload speed of 4mbps. In clientzone it shows only a 1mbps upload. Is that just a generic value inserted for now or will that be my upload speed under Pure DSL? Those of you with an order pending for Pure DSL, what does it show your upload speed will be?

I think that is just a value that was added for Adsl2+ clients and is also showing under a VDSL line. With VDSL and ADSL the line stats aren't something we can control and we follow what Openserve provide. So you will still get your 4Mbps upload on 20Mbps VDSL like you are currently getting. If you aren't then something is wrong and we need to look into that.

Reactions: "D"

xbxbau5

Pure DSL Line and Pure Uncapped DSL Data Package appeared under my client-zone, with the access details to connect. It still says Pending Order, but out of curiosity I tried the new details, and could only access Afrihost Website.

Then I checked under the Pure Uncapped DSL Data Package it says the account is capped.

I think I'm just being a little impatient

1591938157250.png

Reactions: "D"

tkbaby

I think that is just a value that was added for Adsl2+ clients and is also showing under a VDSL line. With VDSL and ADSL the line stats aren't something we can control and we follow what Openserve provide. So you will still get your 4Mbps upload on 20Mbps VDSL like you are currently getting. If you aren't then something is wrong and we need to look into that.

Thanks.

Another question. Will the email system and setup just carry over from the previous one. I see currently I have been assigned a different email address (account purposes perhaps) and can only have one alias as opposed to 5 I had. Or is that also just a generic value for now?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I think I need to provide some clarity with regards to Naked DSL.

Naked DSL is for new clients that already has an unused line into the property. Naked DSL CANNOT be ordered as a migration from an existing active DSL service. This is a restriction on Openserve side and not something Afrihost can control. This restriction applies to everyone. Mybroadband ran an article about it as well.

So does this mean existing clients are excluded? Yes and No. There are 2 options for existing clients.

Option 1. Cancel everything data, adsl and voice. Once all has been cancelled then you can apply for Pure DSL and a new install will be actioned which can take up to 14 working days. Billing only starts when the order is completed.

Option 2. In most cases a single line into the property consists of at least 2 pairs of copper wires. Not in every case but in most that leaves 1 pair of copper cable unused. If you only have 1 Voice/DSL line then that likely means 1 pair of copper cable is unused. A new naked DSL service can be installed on this unused copper pair provided there is available ports at the exchange and the DP has enough cable. This is something the Openserve technician will explore when coming to do the install.
This option requires timing. Cancelling voice will likely need a 30 days notice to Telkom. Cancelling with Afrihost needs to happen before billing run which is between 22nd of the month and the 5th of the following month. Billing for Pure DSL only starts when the install order has been completed with Openserve.

Due to these various time lines it's possible that the voice/dsl combo might be cancelled before the new Pure DSL is installed or Pure DSL will be installed while the voice/dsl combo is still active. The possibility for pro rata billing exists if the new install completes in the middle of the month.

My personal advice would be to wait for Pure DSL to be installed first the submit cancellations for the existing voice/dsl combo because if for whatever reason Pure DSL install can not happen you have already actioned cancellation of the voice/dsl combo and I'm not sure if you can retract the cancellation.

Considering all the above in simple terms there can not be a migration for an existing dsl line to a naked dsl line. That can't happen unfortunately and that means @tkbaby that whatever email accounts associated with existing capped dsl products will be cancelled when you signup for Pure DSL and it is seen as a new service/new install.

I hope this clears up some questions I'm around if anyone is not sure how to proceed. ;)

Last edited:

mathebus

Naked DSL is for new clients that already has an unused line into the property. Naked DSL CANNOT be ordered as a migration from an existing active DSL service. This is a restriction on Openserve side and not something Afrihost can control. This restriction applies to everyone. Mybroadband ran an article about it as well.

So does this mean existing clients are excluded? Yes and No. There are 2 options for existing clients.

Option 1. Cancel everything data, adsl and voice. Once all has been cancelled then you can apply for Pure DSL and a new install will be actioned which can take 15 to 30 days. Billing only starts when the order is completed.

Option 2. In most cases a single line into the property consists of at least 2 pairs of copper wires. Not in every case but in most that leaves 1 pair of copper cable unused. If you only have 1 Voice/DSL line then that likely means 1 pair of copper cable is unused. A new naked DSL service can be installed on this unused copper pair provided there is available ports at the exchange and the DP has enough cable. This is something the Openserve technician will explore when coming to do the install.
This option requires timing. Cancelling voice will likely need a 30 days notice to Telkom. Cancelling with Afrihost needs to happen before billing run which is between 22nd of the month and the 5th of the following month. Billing for Pure DSL only starts when the install order has been completed with Openserve.

Due to these various time lines it's possible that the voice/dsl combo might be cancelled before the new Pure DSL is installed or Pure DSL will be installed while the voice/dsl combo is still active. The possibility for pro rata billing exists if the new install completes in the middle of the month.

My personal advice would be to wait for Pure DSL to be installed first the submit cancellations for the existing voice/dsl combo because if for whatever reason Pure DSL install can not happen you have already actioned cancellation of the voice/dsl combo and I'm not sure if you can retract the cancellation.

Considering all the above in simple terms there can not be a migration for an existing dsl line to a naked dsl line. That can't happen unfortunately and that means @tkbaby that whatever email accounts associated with existing capped dsl products will be cancelled when you signup for Pure DSL and it is seen as a new service/new install.

I hope this clears up some questions I'm around if anyone is not sure how to proceed. ;)
Hmm interesting. Thanks Cavedog. Question. My ADSL (internet) line is handled by Afrihost, has been for a couple of years now. So am I eligible for the naked/pure ADSL since I don't have to ask for a cancellation from Telkom? I hope I'm being clear. I don't care too much about the voice line, just pay it to keep the ADSL alive. Will you guys cancel the 4meg ADSL line or will I have to?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hmm interesting. Thanks Cavedog. Question. My ADSL (internet) line is handled by Afrihost, has been for a couple of years now. So am I eligible for the naked/pure ADSL since I don't have to ask for a cancellation from Telkom? I hope I'm being clear. I don't care too much about the voice line, just pay it to keep the ADSL alive. Will you guys cancel the 4meg ADSL line or will I have to?

There is no option to migrate even if your line is currently with Afrihost as with Openserve they are 2 different services namely Openserve Copper Connect which has a voice line from Telkom as a prerequisite and Openserve pure Connect which is Naked DSL but subject to new orders only. As it stands now migrating between them is not possible right now.

cavedog

Honorary Master

If we manage the line we can cancel it on your behalf so that will happen when your new Pure DSL service is installed.

pure_dsl.png

tkbaby

Option 1. Cancel everything data, adsl and voice. Once all has been cancelled then you can apply for Pure DSL and a new install will be actioned which can take 15 to 30 days. Billing only starts when the order is completed.

Thanks for taking the time to send this message @cavedog. Is it possible to reinstate any of the previous email addresses afterwards. Would be a massive mission not having the same email address available.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ok this clears things up with me. I was worried I wasn't eligible for pure DSL. Fingers crossed there's that extra pair of copper in my line. Thanks

Personally I had this done a couple of times but sometimes the technician might not be aware so just be adamant that it can take place. The nice thing about having this done is that it gives you access to at least 2 lines on a single install. If you ever wanted you could have 2 x pure DSL line installs then. It wasn't really that attractive before since it still needed 2 voice portions but maybe 2 x Pure DSL lines might make it more attractive.