Beware - Telkom removing ADSL services through the coverage map

Caliph

Yesterday, I was speaking to my neighbor who says he was on the phone the whole day trying to get Telkom to come and install a line for him. Telkom says there is no coverage for ADSL in our area according to the coverage map and therefore any new orders will be rejected by the system for that address.

So, I go to the coverage map and put in my address (next door to my neighbor). Lo and behold, my address is not covered by ADSL/ VDSL, when I currently have a 10Mbps line.

If you are in an area that is not covered by fibre and your LTE is bad - but you have a fixed line, do not cancel the line. You will permanently lose it.

Last edited:

GIGZ

I hope those affected will heed the call

Genisys

Honorary Master
I don't see the problem with that. Copper infrastructure is aging, in some cases it isn't even worth trying to keep it going, will be easier to roll out fibre than to repair the copper infrastructure. I don't personally see the issue with them not allowing installations in certain areas?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I don't see the problem with that. Copper infrastructure is aging, in some cases it isn't even worth trying to keep it going, will be easier to roll out fibre than to repair the copper infrastructure. I don't personally see the issue with them not allowing installations in certain areas?
The issue is that our areas are not expecting fiber installation any time soon as much as we would love it. So ADSL is all we have and works better than LTE (imo).

Genisys

Honorary Master
The issue is that our areas are not expecting fiber installation any time soon as much as we would love it. So ADSL is all we have and works better than LTE (imo).
Where do they draw the line however and say "ok, we can't maintain this anymore"? I understand both sides of the story, not arguing the merits, just saying that the reality is that it will happen more and more

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Where do they draw the line however and say "ok, we can't maintain this anymore"? I understand both sides of the story, not arguing the merits, just saying that the reality is that it will happen more and more
You are not wrong.

What @Caliph is saying is that he is currently receiving service, so working infrastructure is there already. Why, then, deny new users access to that infrastructure?

Once it fails, then yes, that's the end unfortunately.

ronz91

Expert Member
well thats not good news when they just started offering the naked adsl deals and said you cannot switch over, you have to cancel and re-order.

almost sounds like a trap.

1591618801659.png

Nobody Important

Executive Member
@Caliph Thanks for the heads-up! Great tip! Which suburb/area?
Not sure where @Caliph is situated but I’ve also noted the same “tactic” on the coverage map for La Mercy.

So my assumption is that it’s a general tactic to force the death of ADSL by subscriber number attrition. Even though in reality there is still demand.

rambo919

Honorary Master
I'm downloading the internet as fast as I can before the apocalypse damn it! :ROFL:

R_D_V

Yesterday, I was speaking to my neighbor who says he was on the phone the whole day trying to get Telkom to come and install a line for him. Telkom says there is no coverage for ADSL in our area according to the coverage map and therefore any new orders will be rejected by the system for that address.

So, I go to the coverage map and put in my address (next door to my neighbor). Lo and behold, my address is not covered by ADSL/ VDSL, when I currently have a 10Mbps line.

If you are in an area that is not covered by fibre and your LTE is bad - but you have a fixed line, do not cancel the line. You will permanently lose it.
Damn! Just checked the map and it has changed to show there is only LTE available in my area. My ADSL line went down on Saturday. I assume I shouldn't hold on to any hope that my line will be fixed.

ronz91

Expert Member
Damn! Just checked the map and it has changed to show there is only LTE available in my area. My ADSL line went down on Saturday. I assume I shouldn't hold on to any hope that my line will be fixed.
**** thats unlucky sorry dude

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member

So are you saying Non-Copper are going to work better, more reliable, cheaper than copper which to me was proven reliable and affordable, I understand copper itself has other values than communication and is attractive to recover.

rambo919

Honorary Master
There is one thing where the copper line still has value, it' less easy to overload the voice exchange than it is to overload a wireless tower, so a ADSL line basically functions as a backup voice line even if you never plug a phone into it.