Afrihost Pure DSL

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks for taking the time to send this message @cavedog. Is it possible to reinstate any of the previous email addresses afterwards. Would be a massive mission not having the same email address available.

I will find out if that is possible but as far as I know these email accounts are generated upon signup.

mathebus

Personally I had this done a couple of times but sometimes the technician might not be aware so just be adamant that it can take place. The nice thing about having this done is that it gives you access to at least 2 lines on a single install. If you ever wanted you could have 2 x pure DSL line installs then. It wasn't really that attractive before since it still needed 2 voice portions but maybe 2 x Pure DSL lines might make it more attractive.
"The technician might not be aware", that's my fear. I hope I get someone who knows what they're doing x2 DSL lines does sound attractive but just yesterday Octotel confirmed that they're covering my area (planning stage). Unrelated but what exactly does me pre-ordering from Afrihost do? Is Octotel notified and maybe they roll out faster wherever there's most pre-orders?

Another unrelated fibre question (I'll move it over to fibre discussions if needed, but since you're here), I'm torn between Afrihost and cool ideas. Afrihost is good and I've been with them for years. Cool ideas have the most peers or something not sure how to explain, and they have a 'network accelerator'. Not sure what it does but I know it helps drastically with torrents. Why should I go with Afrihost and not with coolideas, excluding price ?

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
"The technician might not be aware", that's my fear. I hope I get someone who knows what they're doing x2 DSL lines does sound attractive but just yesterday Octotel confirmed that they're covering my area (planning stage). Unrelated but what exactly does me pre-ordering from Afrihost do? Is Octotel notified and maybe they roll out faster wherever there's most pre-orders?

Another unrelated fibre question (I'll move it over to fibre discussions if needed, but since you're here), I'm torn between Afrihost and cool ideas. Afrihost is good and I've been with them for years. Cool ideas have the most peers or something not sure how to explain, and they have a 'network accelerator'. Not sure what it does but I know it helps drastically with torrents. Why should I go with Afrihost and not with coolideas, excluding price ?

Placing a pre order with us puts a pending order on the system. Once the area goes live you get notified and an order placed.

I can't speak for other ISPs but I think Afrihost offers some pretty decent value. We have a pretty cool ClientZone and App that you can make use of. Not a lot of clients know this but we offer a usenet server too free of charge. At the end of the day it's your decision and if you go with CISP it will be sad if you did but if that is your choice we respect that. Door is always open at Afrihost should things not work out.

elriconess

Ordered yesterday at 4pm got an sms at 10am today with my login details but no installation date through Telkom.
service active.png

Reactions: Yuu

ghostRgg

So to take from that. If I have a 10mbps ADSL connection, and a spare port I should be able to get 10mbps Pure DSL? All the exchanges around me seem to have 20 and 40mbps but upon checking the website, it shows I can't get it at all. Our exchange seems to be the worst one in the area and Vumatel ran for the hills :/

klipdrifter

I also ordered PureDSL on 10/06/2020.

What is an concern for me (and I hope I am wrong) is that Telkom here in my little town usually in the past managed to do installations within 3 days of ordering ADSL (This was when ordered directly through them).

Now its been a full week and I have not heard anything yet which makes me think they are trying to delay these installations for some bizarre reason. I just hope I am not in for a terrible time ahead with this....

I do have to note that Afrihost's website clearly states it can take up to 14 days but for some reason I didn't think it would take this long in my area. Fingers crossed that I am totally wrong!

cavedog

Honorary Master

What is an concern for me (and I hope I am wrong) is that Telkom here in my little town usually in the past managed to do installations within 3 days of ordering ADSL (This was when ordered directly through them).

Now its been a full week and I have not heard anything yet which makes me think they are trying to delay these installations for some bizarre reason. I just hope I am not in for a terrible time ahead with this....

I do have to note that Afrihost's website clearly states it can take up to 14 days but for some reason I didn't think it would take this long in my area. Fingers crossed that I am totally wrong!

Hey checked that now for you order placed with Openserve on the 11th already. Order is still showing up as Executing on the Openserve portal. Did you get the Openserve order number from us?

klipdrifter

Hey checked that now for you order placed with Openserve on the 11th already. Order is still showing up as Executing on the Openserve portal. Did you get the Openserve order number from us?
Hey @cavedog

No I did not receive any order numbers etc

Edit:

Just received an sms with the order number. Thanks

mathebus

I am in the same boat.

Exact same with me.. Ordered on the 10th as well and have not yet received any communication from Afrihost as of yet.

@cavedog is there any chance you could help a brother out? Would be much appreciated if you can.

Also i have one more question.. In the past i was only able to get 10mbps speeds when i had my old package with telkom. On the Afrihost website it is now saying that for my area (Grassy Park) I am able to get 20mbps on my ADSL line.. Is this true as I was previously told by telkom that 10mbps was the max speed?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Exact same with me.. Ordered on the 10th as well and have not yet received any communication from Afrihost as of yet.

@cavedog is there any chance you could help a brother out? Would be much appreciated if you can.

Also i have one more question.. In the past i was only able to get 10mbps speeds when i had my old package with telkom. On the Afrihost website it is now saying that for my area (Grassy Park) I am able to get 20mbps on my ADSL line.. Is this true as I was previously told by telkom that 10mbps was the max speed?

Yes I can. Just drop me your clientzone email in inbox.

A new install is based on coverage and not line quality. If you are like 100m from the exchange the coverage would likely show 40Mbps but the speed will ultimately depend on the line quality. The install could be done and the profile activated at up to 40Mbps but the line is really bad and only sync at 8Mbps. It would be advised to downgrade to what the line can then handle.

Openserve advertise speeds as "Up to" and if you signup for 40Mbps but the line can only do 10Mbps they are still technically making good on that wording of up to.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Replied to everyone with their orders numbers to keep for reference sake.

Once you have an order number the order has been accepted by Openserve and you should expect a call from Openserve to schedule an appointment for installation. ;)

Last edited:

klipdrifter

Replied to everyone with their orders numbers to keep for reference sake.

Once you have an order number the order has been accepted by Openserve and you should expect a call from the to schedule an appointment for installation. ;)
Thank you sir

klipdrifter

So, out of interest sake. Any of the gents/ladies on here who ordered got a call yet for installation? I have not :unsure: