Afrihost Pure DSL

Stormy$

Glad to hear. If you want me to follow up for you you can just send me a pm with your clientzone email address for me to have a look.
Hi @AfriNatic .will send you pm..we got a call on Tuesday I believe from openserver that they will be here on Friday ..(today) to come install it but havnt heard from them so far, I really hope they come today

MEG101

I have signed up for PureDSL 20mbps @ R597 as I am moving into a new house and have told the person at Afrihost via e-mail that I am not in a hurry and Openserve can contact me to do the installation from 25th onward, as I am only moving into the house from 1 June. I have a friend that has PureDSL 40mbps @ R697 with Afrihost and he is more than happy with the service he gets. I am looking forward to great service and internet!

rambo919

Honorary Master
The funny thing..... Afrihost ADSL is superior at least in assumption to faster Herotel fibre..... the future is gonna get interesting.....

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
The funny thing..... Afrihost ADSL is superior at least in assumption to faster Herotel fibre..... the future is gonna get interesting.....

From what I have noticed is that people tend to cancel ADSL and go for Fibre as soon as it's available.

It's no secret that Vumatel Fibre is a bit expensive.

ADSL/VDSL in the same area gets better as the exchange capacity free up and you find that a 20 or 40Mbps VDSL connection on Fast Path mode can compete with a fibre connection. It all depends on the copper quality and distance. If those 2 are in your favour switching from a 20Mbps VDSL connection to a 10Mbps fibre connection will feel like a downgrade.

Last edited:

Grouter

Expert Member
From what I have noticed is that people tend to cancel ADSL and go for Fibre as soon as it's available.

ADSL/VDSL in the same area gets better as the exchange capacity free up and you find that a 20 or 40Mbps VDSL connection on Fast Path mode can compete with a fibre connection. It all depends on the copper quality and distance. If those 2 are in your favour switching for a 20Mbps VDSL connection to a 10Mbps fibre connection will feel like a downgrade.
Can definitely concur.
Here in sleepy Sedgefield, many of the local population opt for expensive WISP connections.
There's no fibre (yet), and the perception amongst many is that "ADSL is gonna die!".
So they all jump on the local WISP-Wagon.
I've noticed my 20 Mbps VDSL service just get slowly better and better over the last few years.
I'm paying R575 all in for 20 Mbps VDSL, whilst they think an 8 Mbps WISP service at R880pm with rubbish latency, not infrequent down-time, and evening congestion is great... :laugh:
I've 'road-tested' the local WISPS, and am not impressed. But let them think what they like.

rambo919

Honorary Master

ADSL/VDSL in the same area gets better as the exchange capacity free up and you find that a 20 or 40Mbps VDSL connection on Fast Path mode can compete with a fibre connection. It all depends on the copper quality and distance. If those 2 are in your favour switching for a 20Mbps VDSL connection to a 10Mbps fibre connection will feel like a downgrade.
If Herotel was an open network I would have signed up by now. They are planting pole's everywhere.

I know how afrihost operates and will probably only move away if you guys properly screw up or telscum cuts support for the town.

Cactus

If Herotel was an open network I would have signed up by now. They are planting pole's everywhere.

I know how afrihost operates and will probably only move away if you guys properly screw up or telscum cuts support for the town.
What is your reason for not using them? They perform fine as an ISP. They're currently one of the cheapest on lower packages. E.g. 50/50 R499 and1Gbit at R1500.

In the end, money speaks.

rambo919

Honorary Master
What is your reason for not using them? They perform fine as an ISP. They're currently one of the cheapest on lower packages. E.g. 50/50 R499 and1Gbit at R1500.

In the end, money speaks.
Enough stories of great initial performance and terrible later congestion with no inclination to alleviate the problem.

I won't get caught by another MWEB.....

Cactus

Enough stories of great initial performance and terrible later congestion with no inclination to alleviate the problem.

I won't get caught by another MWEB.....
I would assume its area dependant. For example, Frogfoot performs fine in Gauteng not so much PE so it makes no sense to boycott them in Gauteng for issues in PE.

Anyway, let me not hog an Afrihost subforum with unrelated posts. Thanks for explaining your reasoning. Was curious.

Stormy$

So I got connected yesterday like literally after 15min after sending my last post..it all went well..got my router today ..tried setting it up with the afri guys in WhatsApp..stillcant get internet ..anyone had this problem?

Flywheel

Honorary Master
So I got connected yesterday like literally after 15min after sending my last post..it all went well..got my router today ..tried setting it up with the afri guys in WhatsApp..stillcant get internet ..anyone had this problem?

Did you pay your TV license baba?

(Takes a bit for OpenSwerve to allocate stuff etc, if it still isn't up by Mon then start calling.)

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

Thank you for sending me a pm.

I have sorted the issue out and advised how to get it working :)

Sumeet2005

Had that problem during setup. Had to call in and set up router three times then a senior was called and solved the problem.

MEG101

So, I received a e-mail this morning "Please be advised that your area is not eligible for this offer, you are not copper enabled, therefor your PureDSL order will be cancelled" Needless to say when I logged into the Afrihost App, my pending order was cancelled. Great service Afrihost and Openserve, as I know of people just 2 houses away in the same street that has DSL services with Openserve. I have placed an order with Vox, they pick my address up as DSL enabled, will see if they can be of service to me, or until Herotel Fiber finish the rollout in my area.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So, I received a e-mail this morning "Please be advised that your area is not eligible for this offer, you are not copper enabled, therefor your PureDSL order will be cancelled" Needless to say when I logged into the Afrihost App, my pending order was cancelled. Great service Afrihost and Openserve, as I know of people just 2 houses away in the same street that has DSL services with Openserve. I have placed an order with Vox, they pick my address up as DSL enabled, will see if they can be of service to me, or until Herotel Fiber finish the rollout in my area.

You don't want me to have a look for you?

Jiggey China

I received the same message as well back in February, but from Vox. Apparently the reason Openserve said that was because they were planning on rolling out fibre in the neighborhood. They started the work in April.

So it might happen to you too.

MEG101

I received the same message as well back in February, but from Vox. Apparently the reason Openserve said that was because they were planning on rolling out fibre in the neighborhood. They started the work in April.

So it might happen to you too.
Well if that is the reason I will be very happy. Openserve fibre access and ISP prices are very cheap and I will sign up the moment it becomes available. All I have is expensive Vuma fibre that is nearly completed, and Herotel busy planting poles all over town.

Jiggey China

Well if that is the reason I will be very happy. Openserve fibre access and ISP prices are very cheap and I will sign up the moment it becomes available. All I have is expensive Vuma fibre that is nearly completed, and Herotel busy planting poles all over town.

Lol well damn. 2 fibre companies already and a third might be on the way. At least one thing to be glad about I guess.

MEG101

You don't want me to have a look for you?
I must really thank you from the bottom of my heart, without your help I would have never had service at my new house and according to Openserve there is no coverage - you walked the extra mile for me and put and order in with Openserve - and without we both expecting not much that I will be able to get service, Openserve installed my line and I am glad to report that I am happy surfing the internet. My line as installed in less than a week from AfriNatic placed the order at Openserve and my Afrihost PureDSL activated and up and running. Afrihost can be very glad to have you on the Team. You have helped me to get "No service to Service installed and working! I can gladly recommend AfriNatic for any help related to DSL services. He walked the extra mile for me!! Thank you.