Air Travel with Pram/Stroller

deliengs

Hi MyBB's

Does anyone know what the process is of taking a Pram/Stoller with when Air Travelling?

We will be travelling locally to KZN, do we have to load the Pram/Stroller as luggage? Or do they take it like as you board the plane?

Any other helpful tips/hints would be great!

Thanks!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Hi MyBB's

Does anyone know what the process is of taking a Pram/Stoller with when Air Travelling?

We will be travelling locally to KZN, do we have to load the Pram/Stroller as luggage? Or do they take it like as you board the plane?

Any other helpful tips/hints would be great!

Thanks!

I'm assuming you have a infant? The pram\stroller is loaded against them as baggage and can be used up to the boarding hatch. They will then take it and put it in the belly of the plane and when you land it will be waiting for you. Word of advice, take a stroller if you can get away with it and book your carseat in via the normal luggage. I think it's ridiculous that car rentals charge R350-R450 to hire a car seat.

marco79

Expert Member
You take it up to where you physically board the plane. They will put it into storage there.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Oh and have milk in a carry on bag, ensure the infant is sucking on landing\takeoff, will help their ears adjust to pressure as they won't know to self regulate.

JackWhite

Expert Member
As you board the plane the attendants would pack it away and re setup for you once landed.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Stroller you leave near the airplane door - there are people waiting to assist you and they give you a little tag for it. Collect outside the airplane door when you land either inside the ramp or on the tarmac at the bottom of the stairs.

Protip: Wrap your car seat yourself in plastic wrap, called "Pallet Wrap". It saves you R70 to pay those crooks that wrap bags at the airport. You can buy pallet wrap from those discount mega stores that sell everything. Remember to take a few metres with you in your suitcase, on an old paper towel roll or similar.

chewiesw

Expert Member
remember to remove all detachable accessories, like the removable hood, pack them separately if required and anything else that might break off or get lost. I has been my experience that these things seem to get thrown around a bit.

deliengs

Oh and have milk in a carry on bag, ensure the infant is sucking on landing\takeoff, will help their ears adjust to pressure as they won't know to self regulate.

Thanks for the advice. Good idea to get the car seat as baggage, I read on the travel site that they allow baggage for the infant, I am sure they assume it to be a car seat anyway.

I'm assuming you have a infant? The pram\stroller is loaded against them as baggage and can be used up to the boarding hatch. They will then take it and put it in the belly of the plane and when you land it will be waiting for you. Word of advice, take a stroller if you can get away with it and book your carseat in via the normal luggage. I think it's ridiculous that car rentals charge R350-R450 to hire a car seat.

Good idea, that what I am worried about, wont want the little one to suffer man

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Thanks for the advice. Good idea to get the car seat as baggage, I read on the travel site that they allow baggage for the infant, I am sure they assume it to be a car seat anyway.
Actually it's allowed over and above the std 20kg bag. So you can take stroller , car seat AND another 20kg bag as well as hand luggage although that's normally your baby bag.