All things Shelly

ShellySA

Dealer
Anyone know what is going on with the latest shelly firmware? Version 1.8.3 is going nuts.

@ShellySA ?

My setup
3x Shelly Dimmer1
10x Shelly1
HomeAssistant with ShellyForHass (latest version)
Shelly cloud = disabled
MQTT = disabled

Since upgrading, my dimmers don't show their state in HomeAssistant but control was mostly fine except sometimes they are unresponsive.
1x dimmer and 1x shelly1 decided to become undiscoverable by HomeAssistant which was really annoying because the dimmer is the kitchen one most in use.

My solution was to downgrade the firmware at least on the dimmers, using this lovely archive (THANK GOODNESS):

It took me a while to figure out I need to use SHDM-1 for the Shelly Dimmers, was lucky to find this post (you need to accept TnCs):

So here is something I noticed, looks like my Shellies are spamming DNS but I don't know why since I dont have them cloud enabled:
(ps. factory reset fixed nothing, only downgrading did)

View attachment 903206
That is one crazy amount of lookups on that domain...

View attachment 903208
Most of my shellies pop up here...

Here you can see, this search was done at 9pm, the spamming on DNS stopped after downgrading, the archive.shelly-faq.de dns lookup is where I initiated the OTA firmware downgrade.
View attachment 903210
Hi @ Tinuva.

There is an issue with the latest firmware.

FHTheron

@Tinuva It's not so much Shelly, it's that they rewrote their CoAP stuff and changed some IDs.
Some free-don't-complain open source plugins updated very quickly:

Some other free-don't-complain-don't-touch-dev-branches (like ShellyForHass) took much longer. I think a bunch of people just switched to MQTT instead ( for MQTT, the guy maintaining the discovery script script is super active ).

I switched a few devices to MQTT. It's fine, but I miss the Shelly App a bit. I also really don't like HomeAssistant's graphs... but I'm too lazy to go full Grafana.

Last edited:

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
So one of my shelly ones has just disappeared from the app. Kinda frustrating any idea if I can check if it’s died? The light switch still works

ebendl

Expert Member
Wifi connectivity lost?
Did you power cycle it?

This the reason I eventually replaced my Shellys' original firmware with tasmota. Wifi re-connectivity just much better IMHO.

FHTheron

Wifi connectivity lost?
Did you power cycle it?

This the reason I eventually replaced my Shellys' original firmware with tasmota. Wifi re-connectivity just much better IMHO.

Luckily I haven't had those issues so far, but they did say something about it:
All disconnection problem which need to reboot the device is gone! - we've integrated the newest Wi-Fi SDK and LwIP stack

Side rant
Browsing their Facebook-exclusive stuff (or anything on Facebook) is truly painful without being logged in with a Facebook account. I mean, what's wrong with a good old fashioned Changelog in an RSS feed. I mean, Inoreader is 10min from Shelly :p
1598987188290.png

Tinuva

The Magician
Morning @ Tinuva.

Are you still experiencing issues?
Since downgrading the firmware, my issues are resolved. Will have a look at when ShellyForHass has an update or when I have time will investigate the MQTT setup instead.

ebendl

Expert Member
Luckily I haven't had those issues so far, but they did say something about it:

Aw bugger, I should have waited it out. But the WAF dropped dramatically when lights stopped working, so had to take drastic action.

Tasmota works well on the Shelly's, but the only main concern is that if I sell the place, I'm going to have to take out everything, whereas if I kept the Shelly firmware I could have handed those over to the new owner's Shelly account.

SukkaFoo

Expert Member
Wifi connectivity lost?
Did you power cycle it?

Power cycle sorted it. That's annoying. Thanks though

Charlesjjm

Anyone know what is going on with the latest shelly firmware? Version 1.8.3 is going nuts.

@ShellySA ?

My setup
3x Shelly Dimmer1
10x Shelly1
HomeAssistant with ShellyForHass (latest version)
Shelly cloud = disabled
MQTT = disabled

Since upgrading, my dimmers don't show their state in HomeAssistant but control was mostly fine except sometimes they are unresponsive.
1x dimmer and 1x shelly1 decided to become undiscoverable by HomeAssistant which was really annoying because the dimmer is the kitchen one most in use.

My solution was to downgrade the firmware at least on the dimmers, using this lovely archive (THANK GOODNESS):

It took me a while to figure out I need to use SHDM-1 for the Shelly Dimmers, was lucky to find this post (you need to accept TnCs):

So here is something I noticed, looks like my Shellies are spamming DNS but I don't know why since I dont have them cloud enabled:
(ps. factory reset fixed nothing, only downgrading did)

View attachment 903206
That is one crazy amount of lookups on that domain...

View attachment 903208
Most of my shellies pop up here...

Here you can see, this search was done at 9pm, the spamming on DNS stopped after downgrading, the archive.shelly-faq.de dns lookup is where I initiated the OTA firmware downgrade.
View attachment 903210
Thanks for this tip. I had the same issue, my one Shelly upgraded the firmware and I lost all connectivity to it. After downgrading, they are all playing together nicely.

ShellySA

Dealer

Tinuva

The Magician
Thanks for this tip. I had the same issue, my one Shelly upgraded the firmware and I lost all connectivity to it. After downgrading, they are all playing together nicely.
Latest ShellyForHASS 0.2.0 added support for Shelly firmware 1.8.3 which came out 6 days ago.
I decided to upgrade 2 devices to test for a few days before I upgrade the rest.

That said, what I am really waiting for, is native Home Assistant support for Shelly which will be released in 0.115 - you can read the 0.115 release candidate docs so long here: https://rc.home-assistant.io/integrations/shelly/
What is interesting here, it only support 1.8.x firmware and also only relays, lights (brightness) and sensors. For now that coves all my devices, but I will probably switch over to the native support once all my Shellies on 1.8.x and HA 0.115 is released.

Charlesjjm

Latest ShellyForHASS 0.2.0 added support for Shelly firmware 1.8.3 which came out 6 days ago.
I decided to upgrade 2 devices to test for a few days before I upgrade the rest.

That said, what I am really waiting for, is native Home Assistant support for Shelly which will be released in 0.115 - you can read the 0.115 release candidate docs so long here: https://rc.home-assistant.io/integrations/shelly/
What is interesting here, it only support 1.8.x firmware and also only relays, lights (brightness) and sensors. For now that coves all my devices, but I will probably switch over to the native support once all my Shellies on 1.8.x and HA 0.115 is released.
Thanks for the update, I'll watch out for this. I got a Shelly Vintage last week and I had some connectivity issues in HA with it. It wouldn't switch on, then it wouldn't switch off, etc. So I upgraded its firmware to 1.8.3 (was on 201912 something) and since then it's been smooth sailing. I'll do the Duo's when these changes in HA are launched.

ShellySA

Dealer
Ouch,

When using Shelly, always ensure that DC polarity is correct,
Positive = N(+) terminal,
Negative = L(-) terminal.