Alternative ways to get a @icloud.com email address?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Hi all
I have a problem. I baught a second hand iPhone so can't create a free Apple ID on it, it says something like this device can't be used to create any more Apple IDs. Problem is now I can't use iCloud because in order to use iCloud you must have a @icloud.com email address. I have another Apple ID using my Gmail address, but it doesn't allow me to use it for iCloud services. I can't see a way to create a account via the apple.com or icloud.com websites. Any ideas, any other way I can get a @icloud.com Apple ID?

_dB_

You can use all iCloud services without @iCloud address. All you need is an apple ID. Once you activate an iDevice they (Apple) automatically creates an @icloud address for you linked to your apple ID. In the past they created an @me.com.

bigboy529

Expert Member
On my iPhone, if I go to settings/ iCloud and enter my current Apple ID username and password which is a @gmail.com Apple ID, I get the message " can not sign in, the maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this iPhone". I can use my @gmail.com apple ID just fine with the app store but can't activate iCloud services. As said in my first post, I also get this message when I try to create a new @iCloud.com Apple ID on my phone.

nfbs

Expert Member
Maybe try go to an iStore or IC and create an iCloud device on one of the demo devices. Then try use those details on your iPhone. Afterwards delete it off the demo machine.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Just did some more reading. Technically you are able to use any Apple ID for iCloud services so I would be able to use my @gmail.com ID for iCloud. But my problem is that iCloud can only be activated a certain number of times on a spesific device whether phone, iPad or Mac and this iPhone I have already reached the maximum times so I can't activate iCloud. This is linked to the serial number so there's apparently nothing you can do about it, there's no way around it. They say it's probably a stratagy by Apple trying to force people to buy new devices rather than second hand devices. Guess I'll have to wait till I get a new iDevice one day before I'm able to use iCloud.