Amazon Prime Video worth it?

Savy561

I had a subscription to prime video a while back but canceled due to nothing good to watch. Even now when I pop in to see what's new, all I can see is Bollywood recommendations and most blockbuster movies are either buried way below or are already available on netflix or showmax, with only a few handful of good anime and animated series that I can find on Prime Video.

So i thought I'd ask, is there any appeal to Prime Video? Am I missing something? Did I just not look hard enough under all the bollywood content?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I keep a subscription going. Busy watching Masterchef Australia, House is on there...

If I had to choose between either Prime or Netflix it will be Netflix although I spend more time watching YouTube these days.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
I had a subscription to prime video a while back but canceled due to nothing good to watch. Even now when I pop in to see what's new, all I can see is Bollywood recommendations and most blockbuster movies are either buried way below or are already available on netflix or showmax, with only a few handful of good anime and animated series that I can find on Prime Video.

So i thought I'd ask, is there any appeal to Prime Video? Am I missing something? Did I just not look hard enough under all the bollywood content?

Until such time that they give SA our own library instead of banding us with India (Bollywood!!) then my answer will have to be no.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
There are some good series made by Amazon Prime but quite a bit isn't available in SA.
I suppose it depends what you enjoy.

Azimuth

Expert Member
After the last topic on this popped up, I did the 7 day trial and - much to my delight - the content was A+++.

I found loads to put on my watch list and looked straight past the Bollywood content that people complain about. The Amazon Originals are epic eg. Picard, The Man in the High Castle, Grand Tour, Taken the series, Jack Ryan the series, Battlestar Galactica...

Best of all, it’s only R43pm via Apple iTunes - subscribe on your iPhone, watch on your Samsung Smart TV. I also benchmarked the streaming quality and found it to be somewhere between 1080p and 4K (20Mbps IIRC). In terms of quality and cost, it’s actually #1. Yes, Netflix has a 4K catalog but it also costs R169pm.

Once you’re done with your watch list, unsubscribe and switch to Netflix again for a while etc.

P.S. thanks mybb for the numerous Prime Video topics. I finally tried it and it was very much worthwhile.

P.P.S. No VPN used.

Savy561

After the last topic on this popped up, I did the 7 day trial and - much to my delight - the content was A+++.

I found loads to put on my watch list and looked straight past the Bollywood content that people complain about. The Amazon Originals are epic eg. Picard, The Man in the High Castle, Grand Tour, Taken the series, Jack Ryan the series, Battlestar Galactica...

Best of all, it’s only R43pm via Apple iTunes - subscribe on your iPhone, watch on your Samsung Smart TV. I also benchmarked the streaming quality and found it to be somewhere between 1080p and 4K (20Mbps IIRC). In terms of quality and cost, it’s actually #1. Yes, Netflix has a 4K catalog but it also costs R169pm.

Once you’re done with your watch list, unsubscribe and switch to Netflix again for a while etc.

P.S. thanks mybb for the numerous Prime Video topics. I finally tried it and it was very much worthwhile.

P.P.S. No VPN used.
I agree that the bitrate Prime Video uses is top notch as when I did have a subscription, watching the legend of korra on my ps4 in a measly 1080p resolution looked stunning, even on my 4k tv.

I found a way to view their full catalog on phone by being logged in even without having an active subscription. It's been 6 month's since I cancelled and it seems like not much has been added while quite a bit of content that initially got me to subscribe is now gone.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If, as he has mentioned, he has already had the subscription before he has probably used up his 7 day free trial already and won't be able to use it again.
There is the possibility that he has a second email address?

Savy561

There is the possibility that he has a second email address?
You cannot use the same credit card on multiple account's as they pick you up as the same person. I have had 2 account's for amazon over the past year using my 2 bank cards. I tried to create a new account but got a message stating that a user with these details already exists, please log in instead.

I am thinking about re subscribing but just wanted to see if the service got any better by reading some user comments before I commit.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I have a number of services and in order of how often I watch them it would be

CBS All Access
Netflix
Hulu
Amazon Prime.

P.P.S. No VPN used.

Picard is a CBS show, how are you getting it on amazon?

buyeye

Executive Member

They have very good original shows which I enjoyed binging. Expanse, the boys , upload , homecoming and some comedy specials. I do have others like hulu netfix when I have binged from the one I look at others.

Edit: I forgot the grand tour. Dont how I could forget the grand tour.

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
There are some good series made by Amazon Prime but quite a bit isn't available in SA.
I suppose it depends what you enjoy.

Yeah, irritating. All seasons of Goliath are available but only the first two seasons of Bosch- probably because of ****ing multichoice. But the newer stuff don't have this problem.

steco777

Are you using a vpn of some sort?