Android app roundup

Is that it? With the countless apps out there the best you could muster is 6 aps?

What's up with MyBB and leaving out Opera Mobile all the time.
My fave app at the moment is Launcher Pro. Especially if you hava an Xperia Mini, since you only get 1 widget per home screen by default normally.
Also, "Task Manager" to kill unwanted background programs

And a MUST HAVE - K9 mail, if you're not using Gmail or connecting to other mailboxes / servers as well.

Yeah Id also add Opera Mini, MultiTaskingPro, Wifi Analyser, Google Goggles (Just for the fun of it).

Im guessing Network Counter is the same as NetCounter? Simple and easy to use for me.

Ill go have a look at K9 though.

Apps I use every day:

- Google Reader
- Tweetdeck
- Google Listen (But I've found Listen to be a very poor PodCast client. Anyone have any better apps?)

Poor article IMO, they always leave out the best ones:

Aldiko: Best E-book reader around.

VLC remote: As the name says, controls your VLC player over a WLAN. It even pauses when you get a call.

Rock Player: Why is this never ever on any of these lists? It's like the Android equivalent of VLC. Plays everything.

UPnP player: Streams files from UPnP/DLNA servers and plays them through any player you choose.

Twonky server: The opposite - It's a sweet little DLNA server, so you can view files on your phone with any DLNA device on your network

Pulse: Probably the best news aggregator out there, and has a great widget as well.

Just some examples.

Some good ones not listed on the article or above:

News24 - app for news 24
Beyondpod - for downloading and listening to podcasts
Whatsapp - instant messaging
ConnectPhone (FNB) - VOIP at 25c per minute to any number including cellphones
Astro - file manager

Poor article IMO, they always leave out the best ones:

Aldiko: Best E-book reader around.

VLC remote: As the name says, controls your VLC player over a WLAN. It even pauses when you get a call.

Rock Player: Why is this never ever on any of these lists? It's like the Android equivalent of VLC. Plays everything.

UPnP player: Streams files from UPnP/DLNA servers and plays them through any player you choose.

Twonky server: The opposite - It's a sweet little DLNA server, so you can view files on your phone with any DLNA device on your network

Pulse: Probably the best news aggregator out there, and has a great widget as well.

Just some examples.

No! Look on the bright side, if they'd covered those, you wouldn't be needed here at MyBB.

Thanks for adding value with your list ;)

Is that it? With the countless apps out there the best you could muster is 6 aps?

Is that really it, the best Android can offer - remind me again why I should use theDroid ?
To sum it up : a Notepad, a Tweeter, a dumb motivator, a network counter, etc. - for crying out load - is that what Android is about ?

AppBrain - app which many users have, they rate apps and let you know what is hot on the android market (its how i find the best apps)

FireFox 4 - imo better than Dolphin (personal taste) i synch all my tabs to my synch account before having to rush out to varsity so i can read important web articles on the way to varsity.

Winamp - better than HTC's/Androids stock music plater (imo)

MixZing - great multimedia app, although i feel as if Android needs its own VLC

Engadget App - Self explanatory

DaTuner - app for tuning instruments, really helpful (i use it when i produce in FL Studio sometimes)

Is that really it, the best Android can offer - remind me again why I should use theDroid ?
To sum it up : a Notepad, a Tweeter, a dumb motivator, a network counter, etc. - for crying out load - is that what Android is about ?

Dude, look them up yourself
https://market.android.com/

How the heck do you expect a one page article to suddenly enlighten your dim self to everything available on a droid?
You sound like an iOS user to me!

SwiftKey for those without a physical keyboard (which means virtually all Droid phones). Amazing program that after a little use will actually predict what you want to type. Totally indispensable.

And honestly none I would want to use.

So I have only a few apps at the moment after Vodacom tried to fix my phone (and wiped it clean :mad:):

- Weatherbug
- My Broadband
- My Gaming
- ESPN Cricinfo
- Whatsapp
- Flashlight
- Unit Converter
- BBC News
- CCN
- Catch

and that's it.

I am not putting anything more until my handset it sorted out.

For the rest, go look yourself. What's the magic number shaw?
Seriously, go find another thread to troll ;)

Its hardly trolling, I am sincerely shocked that those were the "top" staff picks. I am a fanatic android user and there are literally TONS of aps out there. Difficult to wade through them all to find the diamond in the rough. So I was just expecting more?

Aps like Pulse news reader
Advanced Task Killer
Layar (for interest)
Kindle
IMDB ap
ASTRO file manager
Places Directory
Dropbox
3G watchdog
Our Groceries

Or any of the UI upgrades out there?
As well as games?