Android to be optimised for Intel architecture

K

kingrob

Intel is DESPERATE to get a piece of the smartphone/tablet action!

Good news for Android! :)

Saajid

Expert Member
President and CEO of Intel, Paul S. Otellini, opening this year’s Intel Developer Forum (IDF 2011) in San Francisco with his keynote address said that they want to make Intel the architecture of choice for smartphones.
The above doesn't sound like too good news. Intel have really sucked on the mobile front, and now Google want to partner with them to make Intel the architecture of choice? Sounds like they are going backwards. The ARM/RISC architecture is already doing really well on mobile devices, with everyone including Apple, RIM, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, LG and others all using ARM/RISC-based architectures. Heck, Microsoft are even going to support ARM as of Windows 8.

Am I missing something here? And where is AMD on the mobile front? They need to get their act together as well. The more competition the better it is for all of us.

Jan

Drifting in the black
And where is AMD on the mobile front? They need to get their act together as well. The more competition the better it is for all of us.
I'm wondering about this as well. The whole AMD/ATI "Future is Fusion" deal sounded like the perfect match for mobile devices - now Nvidia has beaten them to the punch with Tegra *and* Intel has announced concrete plans to get in on the action.

Last edited:

mfumbesi

Expert Member
The more the merrier. Intel left it late, as soon as the tablet format became reality, they should have jumped in. There is also no reason why they shouldn't cozy up to Apple/RIM/HP(dead WebOs and all).

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
Wait what...where does this leave poor old Meego...surely they're not going to compete with their own partnership?

scotty777

...doesn't know
Hmmm, this is very interesting. I guess it was just a matter of time before these things would happen though. Although, I think Nvidia has got the upper hand here, in a big way. I just saw that the Tegra 3 @1.5 GHz will outperform a Core2duo T7200 @2GHz :eek:.

And also, the tegra 4 will be 10 times faster that the tegra 3 :eek:. Intel has one hell of a fight on their hands!

dabbler

Expert Member
Future of smartphones/mini tablets/tablets seems very bright :) More competition the better.