Android TV coming to Sony, Sharp, Philips

Xzib1t

Expert Member
But not Samsung, interesting..

Are they still thinking of using Tizen or something.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I've always wondered why they never went Android

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Android TV supports Google Cast, so you can use it just like a Chromecast, Burke said.

Sounds like Chromecast is on the way out? Wow, Google really doesn't like to give products a try before they get sidelined.

kianm

Honorary Master
Sounds like Chromecast is on the way out? Wow, Google really doesn't like to give products a try before they get sidelined.

And I'm waiting for my chromecast, so Google please maintain support for the little thing. Personally though I think they will continue with that line since it caters for a different type of market.

Gboss

Expert Member
Samsung TV's are soon to run Tizen. The new Gear watch is already running Tizen. Samsungs intention is to run tizen on Tv's, Fridges, Microwaves basically all their electronics :wtf:

elvis_presley

Expert Member
And I'm waiting for my chromecast, so Google please maintain support for the little thing. Personally though I think they will continue with that line since it caters for a different type of market.

I'm sure they won't drop support, but developer support has been pretty bad so far, and with something new and shiny that Google's getting behind, I doubt they'll be very keen to make more apps for it.

elvis_presley

Expert Member

I'm sure they won't drop support, but developer support has been pretty bad so far, and with something new and shiny that Google's getting behind, I doubt they'll be very keen to make more apps for it.

TJ99

Honorary Master
But not Samsung, interesting..

Are they still thinking of using Tizen or something.

Not LG either. The two biggest TV brands in SA.

They'll probably stick with their stupid proprietary systems, like Samsung with their "Smart Hub" nonsense.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Sony and Google have been strategic partners prior Android become mainstream, the Google TV days where Intel and Logitech also had much contribution to the technology. BRAVIA, the tech, as a whole being the Google TV base design, not the display. I also see that Google TV is relabelled as Android TV, so it is technology evolved, but nothing really new.