Android updates are rolling out faster than ever

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Android updates are rolling out faster than ever

While Google Pixel owners are the first to receive the newest version of Android, these smartphones are not very widespread among users worldwide.

Most Android users have third-party devices which use their own Android skins, which can drastically slow the rollout of updates to these smartphones.

mattrudlles

Still a long way to go to match apples update process. All devices which can receive the update, do so on the same day.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Still a long way to go to match apples update process. All devices which can receive the update, do so on the same day.
They are completely different platforms. Apple controls the software on their own devices. Android is a platform used by a wide variety of manufacturers to build their respective mobile software experiences on top of. It is totally unreasonable to expect the same update response time and rate of adoption for the latest version.

Even then, Google has improved things by making it as easy as possible to build and update layers on top of Android. But there isn't much more beyond that they can do. If they start telling Samsung, LG, Xiaomi etc. that they can't alter the stock user experience, those companies will ditch the platform and build their own alternatives.

sajunky

Honorary Master
How to stop nagging me from updating my Android phone?
It comes back every day. When I dismiss a message, a new popup comes out asking to update automatically over WiFi. Do a guys @google think I am being so stupid?

These "security updates" are really updates to the Google FoolPlay Services spyware engine, the only reason for a bully tactics applied.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
That would be impossible for Android, Apple only have to update about 20 - 40 different devices per update, Android, well, 20 000+ different devices

mattrudlles

And that is why we use Apple folks. Who wants to be treated like a 1 in 20000?

konfab

Honorary Master
That would be impossible for Android, Apple only have to update about 20 - 40 different devices per update, Android, well, 20 000+ different devices
Project Treble is basically the solution to that.

It is an abstraction layer that isolates the phone's drivers from the OS. Which is similar to what MS has for Windows.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
And that is why we use Apple folks. Who wants to be treated like a 1 in 20000?
Google isn't responsible for all Android users. I have a OnePlus 6 and updates are rolled out pretty quickly. Anyone who doesn't want glacier-paced updates should know not to buy a Samsung.

Also, you're kidding only yourself if you think Apple gives one s**t about you. Prices are higher than ever and innovation is lower than ever.

Bonk

Sony xz2 user here and i have been in Android Pie since November.

mattrudlles

Google isn't responsible for all Android users. I have a OnePlus 6 and updates are rolled out pretty quickly. Anyone who doesn't want glacier-paced updates should know not to buy a Samsung.

Also, you're kidding only yourself if you think Apple gives one s**t about you. Prices are higher than ever and innovation is lower than ever.
And yet my iPhone 5s is still receiving updates. The quality of that trumps a 50 megapixel camera any day.

eg2505

Honorary Master
When did Android become Microsoft?
as soon as they let the manufacturers control the updating process, and when they would like you to upgrade your phone.
so delay the updates as long as possible, install cr@pware (that you cant remove) and generally make your life difficult.
with NON removable batteries.

android should be free, updates should be released as soon as they come out, and parts that wear out should be easy to replace.
kind of like this phone:

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/

but we dont live in a perfect world do we? and manufactureres want to be exceedingly greedy.