Another "who to use" thread

ijacobs3

Expert Member
So, after months of fights, i've successfully cancelled Vodacom Fiber, and my Line being released "soon"

Question is, who to move to. I've heard favorable reviews of Afrihost , but also some "not so" favorable.

Any suggestions?

8BitLife

Speaking from my own experience...Seacom. By end of February I will have been with them for a year. During that year my internet was out only twice, for 2-3 hours, because of issues with their network. Rest of the time my connection was fine and always running at the speed for which I paid.

But again, that is only my experience. Will admit, though, when I signed up it was MacroLan. Once they got bought out by Seacom, it has become more difficult to find the number for their support centre. Seacom has done a good job of hiding it deep, deep within in their website which I found out the 2 times the internet did go out. So that is my only issue with them.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't want to come across as rude but how the hell did you make such big mistake by going with Vodacom ISP on Vumatel?

They apply a fixed FUP across networks.

On Vumatel you have a bunch of really good options and depending on your budget you can get decent speeds too.

The list of ISPs can be Mind the speed, cool ideas, Afrihost, Websquad which are the popular ones then the smaller/less known ones are just as good.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
I don't want to come across as rude but how the hell did you make such big mistake by going with Vodacom ISP on Vumatel?

They apply a fixed FUP across networks.

On Vumatel you have a bunch of really good options and depending on your budget you can get decent speeds too.

The list of ISPs can be Mind the speed, cool ideas, Afrihost, Websquad which are the popular ones then the smaller/less known ones are just as good.
To be honest , i have noooo idea wtf i was thinking, i'm leaning half towards the Afrihost idea,

All im after , really is good service, not to call a call center where the script has 2 lines, 1) turn it off and on again 2) escalation. Looking for an ISP who has proper support in place when a issue arises

Slamz

im with Mind the speed, speeds are great, service is great, price is great, support is great, you can phone or email them and response is almost immediate... the only time i was down is when my fsp had an issue... other than that, no complaints

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
To be honest , i have noooo idea wtf i was thinking, i'm leaning half towards the Afrihost idea,

All im after , really is good service, not to call a call center where the script has 2 lines, 1) turn it off and on again 2) escalation. Looking for an ISP who has proper support in place when a issue arises
Go with Afrihost then. They've got support on the forum as well as on Whatsapp

8BitLife

I would advise against Afrihost. Was with them before Seacom albeit on Fixed LTE package with Cell C. My connection dropped every hour like clockwork. Friends who were on the same package but through another ISP did not experience the same issue. There was a whole thread about it being an Afrihost specific issue. Took them months to fix it. Throughout the whole period Afrihost refused to admit there was a problem and did in fact tell me the whole time to switch it on and off again.

My boss is also currently on Afrihost+Vumatel and constantly bitches about his crappy connection. He thought it was Vumatel till me and a coworker, who are both on Vuma but other ISPs, told him that in fact it is Afrihost. Same goes for friends who are on Axxess. They all said that ever since Afrihost bought Axxess their customer support has gone down the drain.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
I would advise against Afrihost. Was with them before Seacom albeit on Fixed LTE package with Cell C. My connection dropped every hour like clockwork. Friends who were on the same package but through another ISP did not experience the same issue. There was a whole thread about it being an Afrihost specific issue. Took them months to fix it. Throughout the whole period Afrihost refused to admit there was a problem and did in fact tell me the whole time to switch it on and off again.

My boss is also currently on Afrihost+Vumatel and constantly bitches about his crappy connection. He thought it was Vumatel till me and a coworker, who are both on Vuma, told him that in fact it is Afrihost. Same goes for friends who are on Axxess. They all said that ever since Afrihost bought Axxess their customer support has gone down the drain.
So who would be a good Recomendation? I’m liking what I see about websquad so far

8BitLife

So who would be a good Recomendation? I’m liking what I see about websquad so far
Can't speak for Websquad. As mentioned, I am with Seacom and I am happy. Can't comment much on their support as I have barely ever had to deal with them.