Any changes required for 2018 SR comp?

MickeyD

RIP
Should we make any changes to last year's competition? I think the Fantasy Picks should be worth more. Last year was 50 points per category. I say up it to 100 and then a 200 bonus if you get all 3 correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This format is a combination of two different formats and is unique!

1. Competition Format:

There are three ways to score points:
(i) Each entrant picks 3 teams; 1 from each Conference. These picks will remain fixed throughout the tournament.
(ii) Predict the winner and points margin of every game. These picks must be submitted before midnight of the first game of each round; normally Thursday.
(iii) Each entrant makes 3 "Fantasy" picks. These picks will remain fixed throughout the tournament.

2. The Points System is as follows:

2A. Team Prediction Points System:
(i) Score 7 points for every try scored
(ii) Score 3 points for every conversion and drop goal.
(iii) Score 2 points for every penalty.

2B. Game Prediction Points System:
(i) If you are spot on with winner and margin, you score 35 points.
(ii) If you predicted the winner right, you score 10 points
(iii) If you predicted the winner right, you score (11 - predicted margin difference) up until 0
(iv) If you predicted the winner incorrectly, you score 0.

Example: Result: Lions beat Bulls by 10

(a) faniedry predicts Lions win by 10.
- faniedry scores 35 points for being spot on - see 2B(i)
- Total 35 (Max amount)

(b) MickeyD predicts the Lions win by 7 points.
- MickeyD scores 10 points for predicting the correct winner - See 2B(ii)
- MickeyD scores (11 - 3) = 8 margin points - See 2B(iii)
- Total 18

(c) Ho3n3r predicts the Bulls by 25.
- Ho3n3r scores 0 points - See 2B(iv)
- Total 0 (Min amount)

2C: Fantasy Season Points System:
(a) Which team will score the most tries in the season?
(b) Which player will score the most tries in the season?
(c) Which player will score the most points in the season?

(i) Each correct pick earns you 100 points
(ii) If you pick all three correctly, you earn a further 200 points
(iii) Points will be awarded after the final game

3. The 2018 Super Rugby Conferences:

South African Conference
Bulls
Lions
Sharks
Stormers
Jaguares

Australian Conference
Brumbies
Rebels
Reds
Waratahs
Sunwolves

New Zealand Conference
Blues
Chiefs
Crusaders
Highlanders
Hurricanes

4. Standard MyBB Competition Rules will apply including the following:
(i) No clones - only one entry per person.
(ii) Picks for the 3 conference teams, first round results and Fantasy Season must be made by midnight on Friday, 16 February 2018.
(iii) Weekly score predictions to be posted or send via PM to reach me at least 2 hours before the game starts.
(iv) Entrants must make a minimum of 50 constructive posts in the MyBB Super Rugby threads during the season.
(v) The winner will be the highest ranked entrant after the Super Rugby Final on 4 August 2018 has been decided and is based on:
- (a) Points earned;
- (b) If (a) is tied then: Correct winners predictions;
- (c) If (b) and (c) are tied then: Correct spot on margin predictions.
- (d) If still a tie then a lucky draw will determine the winner of the tied pool of entrants.

5. General:
(i) I will maintain the list of entrants, their choices and the points on a spreadsheet that can be easily audited and I will publish the updated rankings at least weekly.
(ii) To maintain the secrecy of your selections, you can PM me your picks. I will only publish the 3 conference picks per entrant after the entry closing date.

Should we make any changes to last year's competition? I think the Fantasy Picks should be worth more. Last year was 50 points per category. I say up it to 100 and then a 200 bonus if you get all 3 correct.
I agree with your suggestion.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The New Zealand pick is going to be bloody hard to make, the Blues looks like a try scoring machine.

So… hmmm…

Lions or Sharks?

Brumbies or Waratahs?

Crusaders, Hurricanes, Blues or Chiefs? Then there are the Highlanders which may somewhat forego their kicking game this year as their old coaching setup is now near entirely with the Sunwolves…

I looked at the Brisbane Tens reports and even though it is a ten-man setup these Kiwis run every position on the pitch.

Maybe the Reds play better without Quade Cooper :whistling:

I like how mickey asks for suggestions or updates, and doesn't get a single suggestion. @MickeyD just do whatever you like, no one seems to care

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I like how mickey asks for suggestions or updates, and doesn't get a single suggestion. @MickeyD just do whatever you like, no one seems to care
Well it worked fine last year so why change it? (and I'm not just saying that because I won). It was well run...

Well it worked fine last year so why change it? (and I'm not just saying that because I won). It was well run...
Look at his very first line. He's asking a question. Just give the man some input, up the points, or keep it the same... the rest can stay the same.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I would suggest to add to the fantasy category, though we do have,

(c) Which player will score the most points in the season?

I suggest adding (d) 'which player will score the most points by kicking for conversion, penalty and goal' for some points continuity if an injury occurs to abovementioned fantasy player.

Jantjies will be a favourite!

Yes, I agree to increase the points.

Solitude

Expert Member
Hmmm I think we should keep the fantasy points the same. Because in the beginning it's all still pure speculation. And your top try scorer may become injured which adds more to the luck aspect.

I prefer skill.

Let the person with the most skill win the competition. :)

MickeyD

RIP
(a) Which team will score the most tries in the season? (1 pick)
(b) Which player will score the most tries in the season? (2 picks)
(c) Which player will score the most points in the season? (2 picks)

for (b) and (c) the pick with the highest points will be considered your final pick and points will be awarded as such.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore

for (b) and (c) the pick with the highest points will be considered your final pick and points will be awarded as such.
that's actually way better, I'll second that change

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

I agree with this, but to allow some diversity you can make it interesting. The 2 picks, (b) and (c), must be made from two different conferences.

Solitude

Expert Member
Actually MickeyD, I thought about it some more and I agree now with increasing the fantasy pick scores.

Kr1mZoN

I can't even remember if anyone selected a correct fantasy pick nevermind all 3 last year. I also like the idea of both the increased points and an increase in the number of players picked from one to two (especially with the increase in points and thus increased importance).

Now to do some research before the 16th. Last year the Bulls were many of ours achilles heel, has John Mitchell turned them into a points scoring machine...

Many thanks for running another Super Rugby Comp!

Last edited: