Any switchers from Android to iPhone?

macboer

Are there anyone that switched from Android to iPhone and why. How has your experience been different(good or/and bad)?

or even vice versa.

prodigyX

I've had an iPhone 3G since April 2009, and am switching to Android (HTC Desire) in 10 days (and counting!).

I am so over Apple's nazi-like regime, I cannot WAIT to make the move to Android.

Nobody in their right MIND would switch from Android to iPhone!

Viva Android! Death to iOS!

docb

just got my iPhone 4. Loving it!

I had an HTC desire which I just sold.

To be honest, the Desire is an amazing phone, they're not kidding when they say that Android is an open platform!
You can do tons and tons with it,
thousands of free apps,
os customisability is also insane;
rooting custom roms which modify every aspect of the phone,
apps such as locale which can set your wifi, 3g etc (practically every setting) according to where you are using your gps.
customisable homescreens so that everything is where you want it for quick access.
google sync and a great mail app.

So why did I switch?

Well, for one, all the choice and customisability is cool, but sometimes all you want is a familiar simple system thats easy to navigate. iOS is like coming home to an old friend. It just works. And the fact that my 16 month old son can unlock it and find my picture in the photo app tells you how easy it is to use. (conversely... lol you get the picture about stupidity :p)

Two, the apps. There were a lot of apps on the iPhone that I had grown accustomed to that I just couldnt find on Android, and believe me, I looked.
Android has tons of great apps, 3d games, etc etc. But having come from an iPhone, they all feel... unpolished. They work, they're decent, but they dont flow (thats the best way I can describe it) I'm sure others will disagree, this is a personal opinion YMMV..

Third, with moderate heavy usage, about 5 to 10 four minute calls a day, constant IM, wifi off, I'd have a flat battery by 3pm. If I was more conservative, switching to 2g when not needed, lower screen brightness etc, it pulls till about 8 or 9pm. It never lasted a day. I tried lots of configurations but no luck now I'm sure some people here get alot more out of their phones but if my usage habits are exceeding the phones battery then it's the phone thats gonna change not my habits!

Data usage was high on the Desire if you werent careful, which is exactly the same as the iPhone, dont watch and your cap will dissapear so thats expected from both.

So far, I've had two full days with HEAVY (honeymoon period fiddling and loading apps etc) use and my iPhone batts been at about 30% at 10pm. Thats great for me, means I can get through a day and if I have to go out at night, I'm not stressed about my phone dying on me, which my Desire did MANY a time.

One last thing... A jailbroken iPhone destroys anything out there ;) you know why LOL

Nookie

Well I currently have a 3GS with iOS 4.02, I will be receiving my Galaxy S either today or tomorrow so I'll post feedback then.

francoislr

Expert Member
Well Android just ripped off iPhone so it's easy to switch between them.
To be honest, the Desire is an amazing phone, they're not kidding when they say that Android is an open platform!
You can do tons and tons with it,
thousands of free apps,
os customisability is also insane;
rooting custom roms which modify every aspect of the phone,
apps such as locale which can set your wifi, 3g etc (practically every setting) according to where you are using your gps.
customisable homescreens so that everything is where you want it for quick access.
google sync and a great mail app.

So why did I switch?

Well, for one, all the choice and customisability is cool, but sometimes all you want is a familiar simple system thats easy to navigate. iOS is like coming home to an old friend. It just works. And the fact that my 16 month old son can unlock it and find my picture in the photo app tells you how easy it is to use. (conversely... lol you get the picture about stupidity :p)
Okay, so you say they are the same Synaesthesia, and someone with experience says they are not made for the same type of user/usage. So why do you say Android ripped off iPhone? They might have done 1 or 2 new things that everyone else implemented, but everything else someone else did first, and they implemented. (in some cases, eventually)

docb

I wish Android copied some more of iOS, like the lockscreen.
And I wish iOS copied Android's notification bar.

The Android lockscreen (HTC Sense version) is just crap.
It will unlock or answer/drop a call while you take the phone out of your pocket unless you hold the sides of the phone very carefully.
Can be really annoying with jeans.
You could set up a security sequence (like connect the dots) but that also seems inconsistent, and sometimes doesnt show up when you wake the phone up from sleep.

Last edited:

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Okay, so you say they are the same Synaesthesia, and someone with experience says they are not made for the same type of user/usage. So why do you say Android ripped off iPhone? They might have done 1 or 2 new things that everyone else implemented, but everything else someone else did first, and they implemented. (in some cases, eventually)
Well they're pretty similar these days. Android and iOS are similar in some respects, with some differences. Why did I say it?

This is what Android looked like before the iPhone was announced. Look at it now.

And I wish iOS copied Android's notification bar.
Yes please!

macboer

Nookie: That will be greatly appreciated.

Synaesthesia: If it's the same, i'd rather go with Android cause it's cheaper here, but i don't think it's the same...

docb: nice!

prodigyX: You're not really saying ANYTHING, please give better reasons for your opinion. Otherwise please refrain(?) from posting.

surfs-up

Expert Member
I am so over Apple's nazi-like regime, I cannot WAIT to make the move to Android.
I trust that you have used and operated an Android for some time, to be so convinced ?

For me, I will stick with iPhone, I won't go backwards. There are big drawbacks to having such an open system - just watch your back on that android, it is very open to attacks and fraud. I am very happy with iOS, there is no reason for me to change to anything else

T3 Magazine, October 2010 (UK) List the iPhone as #1 smartphone - I will take their word for it

renierp

I trust that you have used and operated an Android for some time, to be so convinced ?

For me, I will stick with iPhone, I won't go backwards. There are big drawbacks to having such an open system - just watch your back on that android, it is very open to attacks and fraud. I am very happy with iOS, there is no reason for me to change to anything else

T3 Magazine, October 2010 (UK) List the iPhone as #1 smartphone - I will take their word for it
+1

macboer

It's quite interesting what Steve'o said ant the All Things D interview, when he talked about how Apple take privacy VERY seriously. He even said some may see it as "old school".

docb

+1

The android market has some apps with poor descriptions at best, asking for all sorts of access to your phone and data.

You need to be super careful and audition every app before installing it (unless its a trusted app like the officila facebook app- there you can be a bit more lenient), read the comments section for the app first. check what permissions it's asking for, decided if for instance a painting app needs permission to access your gmail account or internet access etc. If your happy the app is safe, then hit install.

Like I said, Android is wonderfully open. If I was still a student with time and enthusiasm, the iphone would've been a no go for me.
Perhaps some of us with age, prefer to have a big corporation filtering out the bad apps and watching our backs while we tend to the business of living....

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Perhaps some of us with age, prefer to have a big corporation filtering out the bad apps and watching our backs while we tend to the business of living....
:D ... I'm with you on this one. There comes a time when phones must be quick, simple and safe (yet powerfull enough to do all a smartphone should do) or get thrown away ... no time to mess around with configurations, tests and fixes (the geeky cool stuff are old/dead/boring at month 6 anyway, replaced by cooler stuff on the latest model). This is where Apple's iPhone/iOS shines ... "It just works" is a term often heard when it comes to Apple. Sorry Macboer, this is another contribution of little value/consequence ... :D

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Well Android just ripped off iPhone so it's easy to switch between them.
I also noticed that immediately. :)
Switched from iphone to samsung galaxy.

It's like having an iPhone that can actually do stuff, like copy files, bluetooth, etc...

KSINGH

Executive Member
whats the main issues with the iPhone that people struggle with?
Can I copy files between iPhone and PC?
Can I copy files between iPhone and other phones?
Can I send MMS's with an iPhone?

StellenboschStudent

Expert Member
whats the main issues with the iPhone that people struggle with?
Can I copy files between iPhone and PC?
Can I copy files between iPhone and other phones?
Can I send MMS's with an iPhone?
Yes, if jailbreak (with Mac without jailbreak)
Don't think so, might be some sort of app...
Yes