Are you hurting your ADSL ISP?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I don't mind having my traffic shaped. If I want unshaped I'll pay for it but I'm very happy with my shaped service.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
but Afrihost is selling data at R4 per gig and are happy to do so. The figures used to calculate harming the bank is Afrihost figures and they aren't complaining and in fact Afrihost make a badge of pride people who are using the network most successfully. No complaints coming from Telkom and their uncapped products are being used and in fact they are flogging off an almost da facto uncapped product with their capped offerings.

Frankly the bitching ISPs need to be very careful that they don't end up burying themselves in their own stupidity.

Johand

Expert Member
Let uncapped die. Cheaper capped accounts. Full speed FTW

+1. At this stage I will happily pay R8/GB as long as line speed and end-to-end speeds are excellent. I think the problem with uncapped is that capped accounts exist. So people that don't use the internet a lot just buy a cheap capped account and then there is not enough subsidization of the people that use more data than average... meaning uncapped is probably more expensive in SA because we have cheaper options (especially mobile data).

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Probably.

I doubt that I'm economically viable in terms of raw economics.

Then again I provide high quality raw technical feedback and generally back the ISP in question on MyBB so I suspect that said ISP still comes out on top on the whole.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I'm happy with shaping too. There is plenty of available capacity during off peak hours for us to use.

hawker

Honorary Master
I don't mind being shaped during office hours either.

ajules

Expert Member
Those numbers don't add up.Afrihost is selling their capped products at R4 per GB which means that they are making a loss of R2 per GB on all their capped customers!!!
Sorry just don't believe it.

hawker

Honorary Master
Those numbers don't add up.Afrihost is selling their capped products at R4 per GB which means that they are making a loss of R2 per GB on all their capped customers!!!

Yeah, isn't it +-R6/GB ?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Those numbers don't add up.Afrihost is selling their capped products at R4 per GB which means that they are making a loss of R2 per GB on all their capped customers! Sorry just don't believe it.
Are you keeping breakage in mind?

Also: You have seen the basic costs. Do you think all the ISPs are lying about these rates?

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
well shaping of non-realtime services is the most rational way to manage demand side of a consumer network - this is why tools advocating streaming and cloud seeding really irritate me. At the moment my Afrihost account is sitting pretty because my capped Telkom account is actually underutilized (thanks to their bumping up) but in the normal course my Afrihost account runs 24/7 with the horrible peak hour where shaping gets to the point of 7% or so for torrent speed when I disable downloading altogether and when there is capacity I get it and their isn't capacity the stuff on the to get list is gotten later.

The economics is about maximum enjoyment of the resource that is bandwidth not getting the most gigs out or giving consumers the least gigs for the most bucks.

Keeper

Honorary Master
I am hurting my ISP, but there are 5 other guys that are not, that subsidize me, and therefore the ISP still makes a profit.
Of course not everyone is going to consume the same amount of data.

It's like the fat guy at the buffet eating 3 plates. Sure he might be costing the restaurant money for his plate, but for every fat guy there are 5 other people that don't eat as much.
In the end everyone still gets to eat how much they want to and the restaurant makes a profit.

If buffets/uncapped aren't making their target, then why are they still offering it?
It's because they make money.

Some of us consume too much, but most of us don't. It balances out - I don't see a problem.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I am hurting my ISP, but there are 5 other guys that are not, that subsidize me, and therefore the ISP still makes a profit.
Of course not everyone is going to consume the same amount of data.

It's like the fat guy at the buffet eating 3 plates. Sure he might be costing the restaurant money for his plate, but for every fat guy there are 5 other people that don't eat as much.
In the end everyone still gets to eat how much they want to and the restaurant makes a profit.

If buffets/uncapped aren't making their target, then why are they still offering it?
It's because they make money.

Some of us consume too much, but most of us don't. It balances out - I don't see a problem.
well the question always is whether you are a fat kid allowing the skinny kids to still get food. The restaurant makes their money by people being their and paying entry they spend money putting out a platter. If you are "hogging" about and bullying the other customers then you are a problem but if you are some jovial fatty eating a ton of food but allowing those who've eaten less than you all you are doing is adding to the atmosphere and making other people come to the restaurant.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Believe it. No everyone uses all their gigs. It's called breakages. Sometimes that's all the profit there is.

F

Fudzy

Same can be applied to the medical aid schemes. The few people paying higher prices are subsidizing the many who pay less but require more medical attention.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Believe it. No everyone uses all their gigs. It's called breakages. Sometimes that's all the profit there is.
There is also the very simple fact that by selling cheap people buy more than they use - you break a culture of buying as little as possible which is driven in part by low caps and high prices. I suspect that with their 5 gig mobile data offer at least 10% of us had more than a gig outstanding from August/September.

F

Fudzy

Well let's start looking at costs then. To provide 400gb of unshaped, 4mbps bandwidth would cost how much a GB?