Assistance with low performance laptop

Mativas

Hi there,

I recently had the hard drive upgraded to an SSD and I also have had my memory increased to 8GB. My laptop is better but is still struggling with software at times. I decided to try the UserBenchmark PC Speed Test and my results are below:

UserBenchmarks: Game 11%, Desk 27%, Work 18%
CPU: Intel Core i5 M 520 - 25.5%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce G105M - 1.4%
SSD: Kingston SUV500480G 480GB - 40.7%
RAM: Adata AM1U16BC4P2-B19H 2x4GB - 24.6%
MBD: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18571880

There was a note mentioned "Very high background CPU (84%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes with Windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC). " - which I tried to look into to fix but nothing really stuck out to me.

Is there possibly a program that can clean the laptop with bloated/unwanted programs that may be slowing it down? I mean I know it is an old laptop but only recently has it been slower than usual.

Would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thanks.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Run task manager and sort by the cpu column then post a screenshot.

Nothing wrong with those specs, it should be running smoothly. What version of Windows? What mainboard?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
You said you recently upgraded to a SSD, did you clean format it or image the old hard drive?

Mativas

1563630744574.png

So what I found is that it is intermittent but more noticable when I am working in programs like Revit, AutoCAD and Bluebeam Revu.

I am on Windows 10. Sorry but I am no real tech guru but what do you mean by mainboard?

lowriderza

Expert Member
Remove Comodo and see if it runs better. One of the causes could be Comodo and Webroot running together.

Corelli

Expert Member
Not all SSDs are good. Get a Samsung Evo 850 or 860 and run windows 10. That will make a huge difference. Also I would have gone transcend or crucial for memory

Corelli

Expert Member
And do a fresh install. Use windows defender or a stand alone antivirus. And refrain from installing a lot of crap. Acrobat, winrar, office and vlc should be enough. Most freeware slow down the machines terribly.