Audi or Mazda... Can't decide! Please help!

Munky86

Hi all. I am brand spanking new to MB and would greatly appreciate any useful insight or perspectives regarding my car dilemma.

I am looking to purchase a car and have narrowed it down to 2 deals:
• 2013 Audi A1 1.6TDI Ambition Sportback Manual (colour white & 33 000 kms on the clock)
• 2017 Mazda 2 1.5 Dynamic Manual (colour of my own choice - new)

Both are priced well. The Audi (if I add the cost of getting an extended service plan & an extended warranty) is then roughly the same price as the Mazda and they will then both be covered until 2020.

I am losing perspective here. What will be wisest in terms of resale value in a few years, resell-ability & overall financially sound choice? What will be most satisfying in terms of drive experience, bells 'n whistles, etc?

While the Audi is older and has mileage, it remains a premium vehicle (albeit the baby Audi, it's still an Audi). The Mazda is new and, as I understand, Mazdas retain resale value quite well. Also, it is quite well-finished considering its price.

I've test-driven both. I couldn't fault the Mazda on it's drive - comfortable, smooth & doesn't struggle, but it definitely does not have the kick the Audi has (being a 1.6 Turbo Diesel and all).

Anyway, both have their pros and your opinions would help. In need of sounding boards.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Are those your only choices? I would not go manual diesel, pain in arse to change gears in traffic. If you going audi, get one with s-tronic gearbox.

Sumen

Expert Member
Could you please post a link to the audi advert ? Some Audi's have extra's fitted so we like to check what extra's it has before giving you an answer

for time-being , if you want a premium car then Audi

Last edited:

Sumen

Expert Member
So I have read your edit, You should take the audi for that "Kick", you won't be happy in the Mazda always thinking " it just needs that kick"

FiestaST

Honorary Master
More premium 2nd hand vs relatively less premium new. It boils down to that.

Depending on spec (number of extras) on the Audi I would go for the Mazda. Its close to class best.

Munky86

Could you please post a link to the audi advert ? Some Audi's have extra's fitted so we like to check what extra's it has before giving you an answer

for time-being , if you want a premium car then Audi

Don't have a link to it - it's a private sale. Have had Audi do their 80 point check, and it's all good. It's the Ambition, so the high-end option. Does not have that 2-tone (dark top) that some of them have.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
It it was me, the Mazda. Because I'd keep it a long time, thus 10 years old in 2027. While the Audi is 10 years old in 2023 already. That's just my reasoning.

Drake2007

Expert Member
Get the Mazda. If you get the Audi then you'll also start driving like a dick-head.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The Audi is a good car but it's 4yrs old already and that would sway me towards the Mazda.

MIA7171

My vote is Mazda3 - It's not perfect but because it is great fun to drive and offers excellent handling than its rivals.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Are those your only choices? I would not go manual diesel, pain in arse to change gears in traffic. If you going audi, get one with s-tronic gearbox.

Good advice here,diesel and auto just go much better together.I sold my manual 320d to get an auto 320d same year and spec but much nicer to drive.

Manual diesel is only for people who do long distance trips like country reps etc.

Ecko_1

Neither will be great for future resale.

But I think in most brands resale isn't especially great unless it's got a fancy badge like GTI, S, M etc. I exclude ST because they don't seem to hold too well, and in light of Fords shenanigans I don't see resale improving.

Previous gen Mazda 2 had shocking resale. Audi I personally would only buy the S or RS models if resale is a concern.

Quality is much better in Audi than Mazda. The cabin will be a much better place to live.

I wouldn't necessarily let mileage be a concern as long as you are happy with the cars history. I purchased my car on 48000km at 2 years old. I've had it for 3 years and it's on 118000km. I've not had a days trouble. Your car will last if it is properly maintained. By this i don't mean getting your service book stamped once a year by the dealer.

Be proactive with your maintenance. Find out common problems with the particular car you buy. Over maintain and make sure your fluids and other consumables are always at the right level, follow correct practice with warm up and cool down if the car has a turbo.

Lots more to take into consideration but my hookah is now ready to smoke so off I go

Ecko_1

Also to add. The A1 isn't the most masculine car. Something like driving a Mini Cooper or Range Rover Evoque. It just doesn't look right for a guy to jump out the driver side imo.

Munky86

Also to add. The A1 isn't the most masculine car. Something like driving a Mini Cooper or Range Rover Evoque. It just doesn't look right for a guy to jump out the driver side imo.

That's fine by me, being female and what have you. :p

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I must be on the pink team then because I have zero issue being seen in or driving any of the three.

Mini Cooper is the most fun drive I’ve ever had.

And the drive is all that matters.

What would bother me is that the A1 is a very expensive Polo.

But at the same time if my image was that important I wouldn’t buy the Mazda, depending on the exact spec of both cars.