Avis supports e-toll, sees positive impact

They won't get a cent more business from me. I hope they go bust.

I'm sure they got a discount for buying all those e-tags

"The standard tariff, which is higher than the tariff paid by registered e-tag users, is being charged to enable Avis to recover the costs of implementing systems and resources to manage e-toll compliance"

But hey!... they are a business so let them gouge the public to recover costs

Its like the 200 bucks they charge you for filling up the fuel in thw car that you just filled up before you returned it

Thats because they pass the chrg to their clients.
For mentioning they support etoll. They just lost a client

I'm pretty sure all the rental companies will do exactly the same. Not just an Avis thing, so good luck boycotting them if you remotely rent cars...

I'm pretty sure all the rental companies will do exactly the same. Not just an Avis thing, so good luck boycotting them if you remotely rent cars...

remotely rent cars? :eek:
I need new batteries in my remote

remotely rent cars? :eek:
I need new batteries in my remote

Heh, not that remotely:

remotely
rɪˈməʊtli/Submit
adverb
from a distance; without physical contact.
"new electronic meters that can be read remotely"
in the slightest degree.
"he had never been remotely jealous"

Charging more than the toll is not wrong or unfair.

By starting tolling, the State has imposed a number of additional costs on many businesses. Car rental companies have to modify existing computer and accounting systems, employ additional staff (with offices, desks, equipment, &c) to administer the toll-collection system.

These imposed costs are over and above the nominal toll charge.

They are entitled to recover those costs from their customers. And they will.

Some car rental companies might get sharper in their advertising and claim to "only charge the actual toll". But you can be certain the extra costs are recovered elsewhere, in the 15 other little cost elements that make up the total car rental package paid by the renter.

Personally, I commend Avis for being open and upfront about it. It'll be interesting to see who hides it elsewhere.

For mentioning they support etoll. They just lost a client

+1

have no problem with them having to use etags, as they got a business to run, but coming out in support the the scam to appease gov just does not fly with me

There are alternatives if one is willing to fight this. Word of mouth gonna lose them business.

Personally, any big business that supports e-tolling is an enemy of mine. So it's OK for specific businesses to support it ? What about the poor who will have less to eat etc... as the general cost of living rises ?

It's very short-sighted and uninformed to support selectively. It's big business giving momentum to this *****-brained scam. For that matter, what is the stance of other national companies that rely on road transport. I haven't heard anything. If the big food retailers stood together and implied that food delivery may be compromised, that would in my opinion, possibly strike a chord where it matters. But no, nothing. They just pass the increases on to the half-dead consumer so as to ensure dividends.

F**k, I'm pissed off.

For the love of god, where the hell in that article did they claim to see the "positive impact"?!

They didn't. So where the fsck does this Sapa journalist (yes, mybb, quote your sources) get off with that headline?!

There are alternatives if one is willing to fight this. Word of mouth gonna lose them business.

Personally, any big business that supports e-tolling is an enemy of mine. So it's OK for specific businesses to support it ? What about the poor who will have less to eat etc... as the general cost of living rises ?

It's very short-sighted and uninformed to support selectively. It's big business giving momentum to this *****-brained scam. For that matter, what is the stance of other national companies that rely on road transport. I haven't heard anything. If the big food retailers stood together and implied that food delivery may be compromised, that would in my opinion, possibly strike a chord where it matters. But no, nothing. They just pass the increases on to the half-dead consumer so as to ensure dividends.

F**k, I'm pissed off.

The Gauteng toll road system has been established with the poor in mind. They will not be affected. As you may be aware that poor people do not have cars or even the money to maintain one - they make use of public transport such as taxis. Taxis do not pay toll fees in order to ensure they do not raise fees.

The toll road system is aimed at the working middle-class who still have some money available and government will not stop until they have bled dry every single cent from these people.

Back