Bad Driving thread

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
On a long stretch of road (especially the part between Kroonstad and Bloemfontein) where you get "overtaking strips" 1 km apart, the following was observed :

- If you see a truck coming on from ahead, do not try to overtake anything in front of you. Chances are there'll be a d00s behind said truck and is getting impatient, and will overtake recklessly.
- if there's more than one truck ahead of you, wait for the road ahead to be clear (or for a double-lane overtaking strip) before you try to overtake. Keep your eyes on both the road ahead and behind you as some d00s will try to ride your ass in overtaking.
- Don't try to be a d00s and overtake a truck as the road narrows. They don't like it, and it is not safe.
- Remember, better arrive alive a bit later than try to beat the clock and end up in hospital.
- Cops are only interested in speed traps, not patrolling and pulling bad drivers over.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Selfish drivers.

On Ruimte rd, travelling towards PTA CBD, I encountered the following at the crossing of Rooihuiskraal and Ruimte.

People coming out of Raslouw would block the intersection as they want to go over the road. Light is still green for them, but they don't want to stay back behind the stop line to wait for their turn.

Nooooo, they all crowd together on the intersection, blocking all traffic wanting to go from Laezonia/Mnandi/etc towards the CBD or other parts.
By the time the light turns green for us, there's a massive butt-sniffing orgy going on in the intersection, and only a few cars at a time can slip past before the light turns red for us... and then the orgy-butt-sniffing people immediately block the intersection again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Furrfu.

genetic

Honorary Master
Old lady was day dreaming at a green traffic light. Two turning lanes going right. She was in the very right lane with me behind. As she wasn't moving, I passed her in the left turning lane. She eventually put foot and decided to cut from her right lane into my lane hitting the side of my car;

Thugscub

Expert Member
Ra Ra Ree kick the old lady in the knee.
Ra Ra Runt kick her inna......
For crashing in to you.

isie

Honorary Master
Old lady was day dreaming at a green traffic light. Two turning lanes going right. She was in the very right lane with me behind. As she wasn't moving, I passed her in the left turning lane. She eventually put foot and decided to cut from her right lane into my lane hitting the side of my car;

I have been in this scenario so many times and have to date (touchwood) but had a lot of near misses (pretty sure I posted a few videos here).
SO what did she say after you guys pulled of to swap details.

genetic

Honorary Master
I have been in this scenario so many times and have to date (touchwood) but had a lot of near misses (pretty sure I posted a few videos here).
SO what did she say after you guys pulled of to swap details.

She must have been 80+ years old. She couldn't understand what she did wrong. I told her she crossed into my lane and hit me. Her response was "But I wanted to turn left". I asked her why she wasn't in the left-hand side of the right turning lane if her intention was to turn left at the very next lights (which are 200-300m down the road). I told her she couldn't just cut lanes and asked whether she looked before switching lanes. She said she didn't see me. (I hooted at her when she didn't move, so I don't know how she couldn't see me).

I also asked her why she was sitting at a green light, and she said she moved when it was green. She had been sitting there for at least 10 seconds + before I got behind her and hooted for her to move. Never mind the fact that she didn't know how to use indicators...

She shouldn't have been on the road. She had no insurance either.

I couldn't get angry at her though. She seemed very confused. I was more concerned about her well being, and asked if she was OK and if she needed any assistance. My concern as for her at the end of it. I don't know why, but normally I would have been fuming, but she just seemed so vulnerable.

Last edited:

Brieuse

She must have been 80+ years old. She couldn't understand what she did wrong. I told her she crossed into my lane and hit me. Her response was "But I wanted to turn left". I asked her why she wasn't in the left-hand side of the right turning lane if her intention was to turn left at the very next lights (which are 200-300m down the road). I told her she couldn't just cut lanes and asked whether she looked before switching lanes. She said she didn't see me. (I hooted at her when she didn't move, so I don't know how she couldn't see me).

I also asked her why she was sitting at a green light, and she said she moved when it was green. She had been sitting there for at least 10 seconds + before I got behind her and hooted for her to move. Never mind the fact that she didn't know how to use indicators...

I couldn't get angry at her though. She seemed very confused. I was more concerned about her well being, and asked if she was OK and if she needed any assistance. My concern as for her at the end of it. I don't know why, but normally I would have been fuming, but she just seemed so vulnerable.
technically, both drivers got it wrong.

She changed lanes in the intersection
You changed lanes in the intersection

supersunbird

Honorary Master
technically, both drivers got it wrong.

She changed lanes in the intersection
You changed lanes in the intersection

Yep, poster should have stayed behind her while turning (but got impatient, I know I would have, and changed lane in the intersection), or moved over to the left right turning-lane before the intersection, if she had then driven into poster it would have been all her fault. now it if both of theirs fault.

I also know that useless people cannot stay in their lane often with 2 lane turning so always make sure I pull off fast if cross traffic is cleared, so that I am in their eyesight and force them to keep to their lane, useless MFs.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
We saw this real gem on Sunday. While not 100% bad driving, there was no bonnet, no number plates and he had to roll his car backwards to start it. Even then, he struggled to start the car a minute or so. IMG_20210523_104849.jpg

genetic

Honorary Master
Yep, poster should have stayed behind her while turning (but got impatient, I know I would have, and changed lane in the intersection), or moved over to the left right turning-lane before the intersection, if she had then driven into poster it would have been all her fault. now it if both of theirs fault.

I also know that useless people cannot stay in their lane often with 2 lane turning so always make sure I pull off fast if cross traffic is cleared, so that I am in their eyesight and force them to keep to their lane, useless MFs.

100% agreed. I should not have changed lanes in an intersection.

I got impatient, as the old bat sat stationary at a green light for over 10 seconds. Lesson learned. Impatience comes at a cost.

My insurance assessor deemed my case as recoverable and her in the wrong at least. So hopefully will get my excess back eventually...

Last edited:

ozziej

Steers driver didn't want to wait for the light, turns in front of two cars at a red.

chromedome

Expert Member

You were probably in her blind spot, I am always on the look out at these sort of turns or in traffic circles as you never know what the person alongside you is going to do.