Bandwidth Cap

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Yes i agree with you, but i think the majority of us are complaining about the amount of cap we get for what we are paying.. We should be getting a lot more, and that the point, doesnt matter what i do with it..

Totally agreed, but it does matter if its for illegal uses!

remybfg10k

Expert Member
The point you also miss out is the relative cost in SA of internet versus the rest of the world. that is what is also being factored into how much we feel we should be getting. And it also doesn't go to say we would look to use the 30GB every month.

a pet theory of mine is that the current use up every ounce of bandwdith mentality would end. if you don't feel you are being screwed for the bandwidth you are getting you are more than likely not gonna mind if yo don't use it all up.

Agreed, that model would make more sense, we do have a very "dont want to get screwed" mentality at the moment with bandwidth, and thats because of Telkom!!!

remybfg10k

Expert Member
3GB of bandwidth is simply not enough. More and more companies are relying on the web to help deliver faster access to services and products.

In other countries people can watch copies of their favourite show online, legally, for free (provided they are willing to watch the embedded ads). Or thay can rent and watch movies online.

Apple is currently trying to convince movie studios to allow it sell movies online.

I want to download a copy of Ubuntu, but I can't because it would eat too much of my bandwidth. Instead, I now have to wait 6 weeks for a cd to be posted.

I recently upgraded my Laptop to Vista, I had to use 600MB, i.e. 20% of my monthly limit to download the new drivers and software.

Giving someone with an ADSL connection a 3Gig cap is like putting a running tap in a shack and telling the residents of that shack that they are only allowed to use one bucket of water for the month. (And I don't want to hear that water and bandwidth are not the same thing!)

I totally agree that 3GB is not enough for proper use, its the people shouting that they want 100GB that makes me wonder what on earth do they need so much bandwidth for!

remybfg10k

Expert Member
The reason i ask for a bigger cap is because we are being ripped off at the moment.. You mite not need a bigger cap, then you can pay less or what ever. But what i do with my ussage is up to me, and there are endless things on the internet that you can use them for.. I would say a decent cap is 30gigs as said by one of the above users.. And yes, gaming and application updates use quite a lot of your cap, if you have ever visted youtube.com you will see that you could proberly use your cap up just on that..

And i know you said what can you do with it legaly.. Well there are many things, but even used illigaly it doesnt matter.. For what we pay we deserve a lot more.

I understand that the cost versus what you get is ridiculous. 30GB cap does sound like a good idea.

But used illegally it DOES matter because your fighting and crying about not being able to be given the tools to break the law!

If Telkom had to turn around and offer you 30GB for R300 but made a point of you only doing legal things with the bandwidth, would you really still want the 30GB?

remybfg10k

Expert Member
I want to watch the keynote speech delivered by Stevie boy at Apple. The last one was 1.5GB and I want to watch the new one about Safari and Leopard etc etc. that's going to be well over a GB. I don't want to stream it at 160x120. I want at least 640x480 (large) or even HD.

So 30GB is enough, right?

remybfg10k

Expert Member
I'd take that 30Gb anyday. Referring to the legal use.

If you have time, tell me what would you do with it, and estimate the amount of bandwidth used!

I.E. Online Gaming - 5GB
Youtube - 10GB

I`m just trying to see where everything goes!!!

See i have a 2GB bundle and to be honest i have to look for things (legal things) to download sometimes!

milomak

Honorary Master
You can add Joost to that. 5 hours a week would probably be usuable and probably more.

I have 3 Linux OSes I run as well as Windows XP. Updates to the Linux OSes alone would probably be near 2GB if not 3.

I then like to test others as they come out. So I think I could comfortably use 10GB - 20GB.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't explore more if I had that type of bandwidth and find even more to do with it. But again the fact that I have 30GB doesn't mean I have to use it up every month if it is priced fairly.

The internet is becoming more bandwidth intensive.

milomak

Honorary Master
it's all licenced content as far as i know. what joost messes up your legal arguement?

Freaksta

Expert Member
Well also as said in the above posts..

Normaly more than one person on an account.. At the moment, i have 3 Pcs running on a 3gig account and during the holiday it goes up to 5.

So during normal times we each have 1gig of data, for email updates etc.. Which will and does get used every month..

Then in the holidays we are limited to 600megs each? Thats crazy..

ebudae

Stuff to do with 30GB of bandwidth

See i have a 2GB bundle and to be honest i have to look for things (legal things) to download sometimes!

Listen to an online radio station at 64kb/s for 1 hour everyday = 720MB/m
Watch 30 high-def trailers in quick time avg. size = 35MB*30 = 1Gig
Listen to various pod-casts (and there are thoudands to choose from) = 300MB
Download three game demos = 1.5Gig
Watch videos online (legal videos from CNN, BBC, ZDnet, YouTube, MySpace, RottenTomatoes, Microsoft, IMDB, etc. All sites I visit and watch videos at btw) = who knows. I would keep watching but I dont have that much bandwidth, so I will say 5Gig
Download trial software = 5Gig
Download music from up-and-coming or indie bands = 150MB
Chat online with webcam for 30min per day = 1.8Gig (but depends on a lot of things)

oops! I think you've exceeded your 2GB limit

Its also not a fair question because if you asked an American what he would do with 30GB a month, he would probably have no trouble showing a hundred ways to waste it.

In South Africa we have a problem because the low bandwidth caps have made it impossible for anyone to offer bandwidth intensive services. Video conference anyone?

Skankhunt

Expert Member
They make caps and uncapped so confusing!! Cant they just quit limiting people!!

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Listen to an online radio station at 64kb/s for 1 hour everyday = 720MB/m
Watch 30 high-def trailers in quick time avg. size = 35MB*30 = 1Gig
Listen to various pod-casts (and there are thoudands to choose from) = 300MB
Download three game demos = 1.5Gig
Watch videos online (legal videos from CNN, BBC, ZDnet, YouTube, MySpace, RottenTomatoes, Microsoft, IMDB, etc. All sites I visit and watch videos at btw) = who knows. I would keep watching but I dont have that much bandwidth, so I will say 5Gig
Download trial software = 5Gig
Download music from up-and-coming or indie bands = 150MB
Chat online with webcam for 30min per day = 1.8Gig (but depends on a lot of things)

I see what your saying but there is some "contradiction" cause how can you listen to a radio station the whole month AND watch 30 trailers & listen pod-casts & watch videos online AND chat online with webcam! You cant do all of that at the same time, you'd need 8 eyes & ears!! Thus your initial bandwidth expectations will drop by say 33%. So maybe you dont need 30GB only 20GB!

oops! I think you've exceeded your 2GB limit

You misunderstood me! I wasnt referring to my bandwidth cap, just asked what you guys would do with the 30GB!

Its also not a fair question because if you asked an American what he would do with 30GB a month, he would probably have no trouble showing a hundred ways to waste it.

But this isnt America and we don't have the "unlimited" bandwidth they have to explore different things!

In South Africa we have a problem because the low bandwidth caps have made it impossible for anyone to offer bandwidth intensive services. Video conference anyone?

Agreed.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Sorry, this is probably pedantic - but 2GB of bandwidth doesn't exist!! Bandwidth refers to your connection speed - ie 512kbs or 4mbps. You all sound like fools speaking of a 30GB bandwidth cap. Rather refer to a data cap or something.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I would love to have a 30GB account, but I think it will be very expensive here in South Africa, well if its under R300pm and unshaped, then I'm IN!!

cerealkilla

i think 3gb cap is **** even on a 384kb line, which is dirt slow (which i have). i do cellphone repairs/cellphone upgrades, now take this into account, to upgrade say a nokia 8800 you need to flash the phone to a higher version. base version is 160mb. there are 3 versions after that 1. to install the latest 1 you need to have all previous versions installed. so work it out, that 480mb for 1 upgrade, think about all the other models of nokia, then there are still other brands of phones. i get capped every month on about 4 gigs. and that's by the 16th... i only use the line for work, only msn, icq, yahoo messenger and flash file updates...

3gb is really sad!