Bandwidth Cap

remybfg10k

Expert Member
what you and everyone is asking for is of course within reason, we work hard for our money and we dont want to be screwed out of it!!!

kilo39

Executive Member
I load this site pages on a minimum load (5 posts per page) 800K one page, ie, almost a megabyte. In fact I choice my page load size due to the size of these pages IOW 13 posts default page size is over a megabyte (for a packed page.) 10 pages is therefore 10 MB and so on. 1000 page views of this forum = 1 gig. Reckon that over a month and 3 gig is nothing: where is my video (a reasonable length video can suck over a gig) nevermind 30MB emails (attachments and junk)... 3 gigs is nothing and any advertising from telkom is a joke in this regard. Download life: yeh right.

(anybody care to check my page load sizes?)

DOOMIE61

Here's a question, just want a reasonable answer please!

I understand that we are moaning and complaining about cap/bandwidth restrictions but here's another point i`d like to ask:

What do you need 30GB for a month (Legally)?

What normal (i.e. legal downloads etc) adsl user would need so much bandwidth?

Can you give some examples of what you could legally use 30GB for a month?

Or even 10GB?

Is 5GB enough?

OMG are you serious well i host a game server, i stream movies legally, pull down huge files from work, update my games and game servers, use skype alot, play games, browse youtube, all this comes up to 68.34 gb's from what bethere tells me and its around there every month

milomak

Honorary Master
Oh dear I was wrong. Even unlimited doesn't have to mean I take out a loan from my friendly loan shark. R312 ffs :mad:

ebudae

remybfg10k, the aim of broadband is to be an always on, superfast internet connection. But since widespread broadband connectivity is relatively new, the services and features that would make use of an uncapped and stable broadband connection are relatively few.

But as I explained in an earlier post a lot of new services are being developed to take advantage of this new technology.

telkom is planning to offer IPTv should it get the go ahead from ICASA and even Telkom knows that their current connections are not fast enough. That is why they need to roll out ADSL2 connections to anyone who wants to subscribe to their IPTv service. And how many gigs do you think will be needed to watch even one day of standard definition quality tv for one day, let alone a month. And what happens once TV goes high-def?

feo

Honorary Master
remybfg10k, the aim of broadband is to be an always on, superfast internet connection. But since widespread broadband connectivity is relatively new, the services and features that would make use of an uncapped and stable broadband connection are relatively few.

But as I explained in an earlier post a lot of new services are being developed to take advantage of this new technology.

telkom is planning to offer IPTv should it get the go ahead from ICASA and even Telkom knows that their current connections are not fast enough. That is why they need to roll out ADSL2 connections to anyone who wants to subscribe to their IPTv service. And how many gigs do you think will be needed to watch even one day of standard definition quality tv for one day, let alone a month. And what happens once TV goes high-def?
You're kidding right. With service like Joost rolling out and VOIP and HD streaming and audio streaming and torrents and general P2P and teleconferencing, high speed internet is there so that these service can be used SIMULTANEOUSLY. We're in 2007 and theres plenty of services that make use of a high speed connection..

BandwidthAddict

Expert Member
remybfg10k,

I would like to stream digitallyimported trance. trance needs higher bit-rate so I want to go for the 192kpbs premium option:

192kbps = 24 KBps = 1440KBpm = 86400KBph or 84.375MBph = (for 12 hour day) 1012.5MB per day or 0.98 GB per day = (for 30 day month) 29.66 GB per month.

Ok, I would not be listening all the time but as I am a software developer, I would be listening for at least 12 hours a day during the week so that makes
5 days for 4 weeks = 19 GB per month. Without any other internet usage.

If you see my posts here, I like youtube alot :) And my buds send me loads of 2-3 MB funnies via e-mail, maybe 50-60mb per month (I restrict them or it would be well over a gig per month). Then there is video skype, and guildwars, and steam, and browsing.

30GB would be just fine thanks.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Cool, try not to be friends with kilo39 though, otherwise your emails would total 30GB a month hehe

kilo39

Executive Member
Cool, try not to be friends with kilo39 though, otherwise your emails would total 30GB a month hehe
I don't receive 30mb emails regularly (sometimes I receive larger.) A ton of photos attached (at full resolution) leads to a big download (nevermind peeps in faraway places giving no consideration to their 'high-speed' lines and massive caps)... telkom stone age.

Nevermind any serious surfing or anything else on the net: as said spend an hour or three on google video, telkom window shopping 'cause to bring anything down is to immediately cap your cap... Sickening.

Biggest abusers are telkom, ie, abusing us and the country! :mad:

Skankhunt

Expert Member
While I'd like to see it tested in a court of law, the fact that it is often said that RIAA target uploaders would seem to suggest that downloading is not illegal.

I know that downloading music for free in countries like Canada is illigal, but here in South Afica if they cant even stop crime, then there's no way that they can stop us from downloading p2p music ect.

Since I got my adsl, I have downloaded about 200 song over LimeWirePRO.

scorpiocandy

I've been reading these posts for a while and need to hrow my 2cents in. I think it's completely irrelevant what we use our bandwidth for. The fact is that we pay A LOT for a service that still limits our use of it.

I returned from London a few months ago, and there I paid 20GBP per month for unlimited broadband with Tiscali. There were 4 of us in the flat, we all downloaded stuff, we all used webcams, we all watched youtube and could stream whatever we wanted whenever we wanted.

Now here, I can't use my webcam because the 1GB that I can afford at the moment is done is a week.

This question frustrated me so much I just had to register and respond!

redheadfan

I can't speak for other downloaders, but if I didn't have to pay so much for ADSL I'd be prepared to pay for legitimate content (assuming its not overpriced).

As it is I can't afford to download any movie trailers. There are legal and free and usually about 30 Megs. So downloading only one a day would use up 1 Gig alone.

Youtube videos are also legitimate content. I tried uploading some the other day and gave it up as a bad joke. My speed was far too slow.

I tried buying some music from Musica's online system, but its hosted internationally and I didn't have any international cap left. No one can afford to host large content locally at the moment.

My brother wanted to send video material he shot over to a buyer in the UK. It took him 6 days to upload the content (about 4.5 gigs). The client downloaded it their side in about 1 hour. It would have been quicker and cheaper for him to have FedEx'ed a DvD.

Last edited:

stoke

Honorary Master
Playing Battlefield 2 uses roughly 100MB per hour.
2 People playing on a 384 line works fine but consumed 200MB an hour.

We chew 5GB a month just playing that game, and that's not playing as much as we'd like to play cos of the cap.
I purposefully do not use the internet for anything else because of the crap. I mean cap.
Well ... except for some forums ..

MrG

Executive Member
I dont feel like answering this in full again, cause Ive done this before ive you search BUT

I listen to WoW Radio (www.wcradio.com) for example. They do about 10 podcasts per week. I listen to 3 of those regularly. They stream at 128kbps, they shows are 2 hours long.

102MB per show * 3 = 306MB just on 6 hours a week on one internet radio station. I also listen to Capital FM alot. Their 128kbps stream.

TheLoot

Playing Battlefield 2 uses roughly 100MB per hour.
2 People playing on a 384 line works fine but consumed 200MB an hour.

Just checking, on different lines though right ?
Chewing 200MB in 1 hour would require an avg speed of 56.888 KBps :eek: = 455 kbps :p > 384 kbps :D lol, forgive me I couldn't resist...

crysis

Expert Member
How can you compare? the internet cap was just not made for legal things. If every one downloaded legal, i doubt there would be a cap in the first place. Maybe not, considering the list is already long for legal things. I dont download alot, but i still get capped at +/- 6gb on my helkom account. All pretty much legal.