Bandwidth Usage seems higher than usual?

Hatefulsandwich

For the past two or three months I've found that the iBurst data use seems waaay higher that normal. In fact, this month we got capped before the end of the month (last week, actually), which never happens. Usually there are gigs and gigs of data being carried over every month.

Got a 1gig booster and it didn't even last me three days and I was trying to be conservative.

Not only that, the Midnight 2 Morning Data has been kicking in at 1 AM instead of 12AM.

I enquired about this all and was advised by tech support I must monitor my bandwidth myself and that when I reach my Anytime cap, the Midnight 2 Morning data only kicks in at 1AM :confused:.

I checked all iBurst's legal documents and see no mention of such a thing. The Terms for Midnight 2 Morning very clearly state that the period is between 12AM and 8AM.

Now I wonder if it's not just when you reach your cap, but always that the Midnight 2 Morning cap has only been kicking in at 1AM. This would explain why my Anytime Data has been used up so much these past months. I often delegate large downloads to start at just after 12AM precisely because I didn't want my Anytime cap being used up before the end of the month.

I'll test my theory at the beginning of the month by downloading something at 12AM and see whether it shows up on my Anytime cape or my Midnight 2 Morning cap.

Has anyone else been finding the data recorded seeming unusually high? If anyone else out there is even using iBurst anymore, that is :wtf:.

noswal

Executive Member
I have the same situation, had to stop streaming music and movies last week as was at my last gig.

At the beginning of August I deliberately started a new connection after midnight and did a download of 160meg and that showed up the next morning as regular usage.

sreddi

For the past two or three months I've found that the iBurst data use seems waaay higher that normal. In fact, this month we got capped before the end of the month (last week, actually), which never happens. Usually there are gigs and gigs of data being carried over every month.

Got a 1gig booster and it didn't even last me three days and I was trying to be conservative.

Not only that, the Midnight 2 Morning Data has been kicking in at 1 AM instead of 12AM.

I enquired about this all and was advised by tech support I must monitor my bandwidth myself and that when I reach my Anytime cap, the Midnight 2 Morning data only kicks in at 1AM :confused:.

I checked all iBurst's legal documents and see no mention of such a thing. The Terms for Midnight 2 Morning very clearly state that the period is between 12AM and 8AM.

Now I wonder if it's not just when you reach your cap, but always that the Midnight 2 Morning cap has only been kicking in at 1AM. This would explain why my Anytime Data has been used up so much these past months. I often delegate large downloads to start at just after 12AM precisely because I didn't want my Anytime cap being used up before the end of the month.

I'll test my theory at the beginning of the month by downloading something at 12AM and see whether it shows up on my Anytime cape or my Midnight 2 Morning cap.

Has anyone else been finding the data recorded seeming unusually high? If anyone else out there is even using iBurst anymore, that is :wtf:.

I have had similar problem and complained to Iburst.They responded with that I need to change my passwords etc.I got the 1+2 gig booster and that was consumed within 1 day.Then I started lookin at Telkoms Adsl.The monthly price is the same when compared for the similar package with the added benefit of the booster being R19.00 a gig for the booster,so have switched to Telkom. A promotion is on where the router is included!

Hatefulsandwich

Well, it's pretty telling that my scheduled download didn't happen at 12AM because I was still considered capped until 1AM. So far this shows me that iBurst has indeed decided that midnight starts at 1AM rather than 12AM. I will try it again tonight and see whether the data is pulled from Anytime or Midnight 2 Morning.

Looks like iBurst is being sneaky and breaking its own Terms of Services here. I would be really interested if anyone else could check and see if the same is happening to them, but it seems like most people have jumped ship already.

What is the purpose of changing your password if your account is linked to your actual modem? Nobody should be able to use your bandwidth up with this system in place.

I've been told it will take a "fool" month for the account to be cancelled, so this kind of shows what level of tech support they've hired :rolleyes:.

I will indeed look into getting ADSL if it's even available in this area - iBurst was just convenient because of not needing a fixed line. It ticks me off that I have to pay as much for a voice line rental that I don't even use as I do for the entire iBurst package I'm on.

Last edited:

divv

Guys, sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm one very puzzled person and I'm hoping you guys can help.

For all these years I've understood I was on the Midnite to Morning VAS, and apart from a glitch or two where data form around 8:00 AM seemed to be counted against Anytime usage its worked just fine.. during the day I had 5GB a month to use and after-hours I could go wild.
Most months I didn't even use all my 5GB Anytime usage and I built up a stack of extra.

Now suddenly last night I get a message saying I've reached my cap so I use email, Facebook, phone calls you name it to try and get to the bottom of it; my argument being that there is no way I have used that much Anytime usage, and the only way I could have run out is that the after hours unlimited usage is suddenly not being applied.

The guy on the phone tells me there is no such Midnight to Morning package and that I'm on Anytime Uncapped which means when my Anytime usage runs out the VAS kicks in.

My confusion is this: WHAT CHANGED AND WHEN? Why SUDDENLY is my after hours usage counting against Anytime usage?

The Midnight to Morning allocation in my usage reports has NEVER in the past been utilised - it always shows as I start with 5 GB at the beginning of the month and at the end of the month I still have 5GB. I always understood this was because I was on the "Midnight to Morning" VAS even if that's not what it was being called on the bills (I have gone back on statements and invoices and indeed what is on the bills is "Anytime Uncapped").

So can ANYONE who actually still "knows" about the Midnight to Morning VAS please fill me in? Has anyone else had a change? It doesn't help that the usage reports haven't been coming this month because then I might have seen a problem coming...

biena

Executive Member
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/690772-Capped-on-Uncapped-anytime-VAS

Looks like you have the same problem, in other words come join the club of pain.

The guy on the phone tells me there is no such Midnight to Morning package and that I'm on Anytime Uncapped which means when my Anytime usage runs out the VAS kicks in.

What does your invoice say ?

Reports would not have helped in any case, the stats on their website is totally wrong. It only started showing up friday, was broken since the 1st.

Last edited:

divv

As I wrote, my invoices say "uncapped". But what I've always understood myself to be on (and what in practice I have been getting) is unlimited between midnight and 8 which is all I wanted. I really wish the Iburst rep would respond... I have PM'ed but nothing...

Gekco

Expert Member

My confusion is this: WHAT CHANGED AND WHEN? Why SUDDENLY is my after hours usage counting against Anytime usage?

The Midnight to Morning allocation in my usage reports has NEVER in the past been utilised - it always shows as I start with 5 GB at the beginning of the month and at the end of the month I still have 5GB. I always understood this was because I was on the "Midnight to Morning" VAS even if that's not what it was being called on the bills (I have gone back on statements and invoices and indeed what is on the bills is "Anytime Uncapped").

So can ANYONE who actually still "knows" about the Midnight to Morning VAS please fill me in? Has anyone else had a change? It doesn't help that the usage reports haven't been coming this month because then I might have seen a problem coming...

It all started earlier this month when iBurst stopped sending Usage emails and their website usage reports were not working for quite a while.

Early Friday morning the Website usage report started "working" again and the figures are still totally messed up.

No Anytime Data carried over although I know there was +- 20 GB of data due to be carried over.

I have been on Uncapped anytime VAS for ages and also upgraded my "Normal" anytime data later to Max 25+.
According to the latest web usage report it has deducted a lot of data (+-16GB) from Midnight to Morning Used. That should not happen with Uncapped anytime VAS. It has never happened in the past.
PS - I also signed up originally for "Midnight to Morning" VAS even if that's not what it was being called on the bills.

When I signed up for "Midnight to Morning" VAS/Uncapped anytime VAS there was a clear stipulation that any data used from 12PM until 8AM would not be deducted off my cap and that I could download at full speed as long as I had not exceed my Anytime data limit.

I have raised this issue in 3 different threads in the comments, but still no response from iBurst.
Could iBurst please respond as a matter of urgency? (My 3rd request on this matter.)
This is an important matter to a lot of customers.

I have tried to be patient, but it is running out very quickly.

Last edited:

divv

The COMPLETE ABSENCE of any form of response is at least 40% of my annoyance.
I have tried phone, email, this forum, hellopeter.com and Facebook and I have had no response in over 24 hours.
COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Gekco

Expert Member
My question is what has happened to the midnight to morning uncapped VAS/uncapped anytime VAS package?
I signed up for that years ago and am still paying R 249pm for that VAS add on, but the benefits seem to have disappeared entirely?
What am I paying for?

I agree that the total lack of response from iBurst is totally unacceptable

Gekco

Expert Member
Latest invoice from iBurst dated 2015-04-05 (Price below exclude VAT)

SERVICES:
ib00077823 Uncapped Anytime - Subs for 01/05 - 31/ 218.42
ib00077823 MAX 25+ Subs for 01/05 - 31/05 390.35

divv

So I've just been contacted.
"We have upgraded our systems & the uncapped anytime VAS has fallen away".
Some warning would have been nice!!
They will have to refund us for the paid-in-advance VAS...
And I will have to think very hard about staying with Iburst because the VAS was the only thing that made it worthwhile.

Gekco

Expert Member
So I've just been contacted.
Some warning would have been nice!!
They will have to refund us for the paid-in-advance VAS...
And I will have to think very hard about staying with Iburst because the VAS was the only thing that made it worthwhile.

Totally unacceptable!!! Great business ethics!!!

That's probably why I received a call on Monday asking if I do not want to switch to the full blown 'Uncapped Wireless' packages. I declined. With 5GB and 10 GB per day AUP's I might be able to live.

There will also probably be a migration fee as usual. Grrr..

The main issue is that it only allows 1 concurrently connected device. We are currently using a desktop modem at the office and a USB modem at home, most of the time simultaneously. So in effect one of the two will be disconnected. (permanently?)

On normal capped packages up to 4 connected devices are allowed. If iBurst is willing to allow more than one device to be connected concurrently, it may just tempt me to switch, but I guess that is too much to ask for?

I fully expect to be refunded for the 'discontinued' service portion which was terminated without any notice.

I'll seriously have to look at other options...

PS - Still no official response from the iBurst rep!!!

Last edited:

divv

Gekco - in your case MAYBE you could take a smaller package for (say) the office and use the Uncapped at home (or vice versa)? Not ideal I know (but none of this is..)

In my case, going from a 5 Gig package, I'm looking at almost double the cost... which means I may as well get ADSL.
Oh but wait, Telkom recently decided to up THEIR (unneeded) voice line prices so THAT will cost more now too. So either way you cut it we're stuffed.

The lady I spoke to said there were around 125 of us on this VAS that were affected.. so I guess we're small potatoes and they don't really care...

Gekco

Expert Member
Gekco - in your case MAYBE you could take a smaller package for (say) the office and use the Uncapped at home (or vice versa)? Not ideal I know (but none of this is..)

In my case, going from a 5 Gig package, I'm looking at almost double the cost... which means I may as well get ADSL.
Oh but wait, Telkom recently decided to up THEIR (unneeded) voice line prices so THAT will cost more now too. So either way you cut it we're stuffed.

The lady I spoke to said there were around 125 of us on this VAS that were affected.. so I guess we're small potatoes and they don't really care...

Thanks for the suggestion divv but in my case unfortunately that would not work.
Thanks for your efforts to get some kind of response from iBurst.

We use quite a lot of anytime data at work and at home during the day as it is which is why we upgraded quite a while ago to the Max 25+ package.. I would schedule all my large downloads for the midnight to morning period via the USB modem on my laptop.

Taking on 2 separate contracts for the two devices is simply not financially viable. You make a good point re. the Telkom lines, because at my home location there is not even a line installed. Add to that the monthly subs etc. to upgrade one of the lines at the office to ADSL it becomes a horrendously expensive exercise, but perhaps in the longer term may be the only option left.

If there are only 125 of us on the VAS surely they could have left it as is? The combination between the Max25+ and the After hours uncapped VAS was a nearly perfect fit. As I mentioned, if iBurst would allow more than one concurrently connected device on the full blown 'Uncapped Wireless' we would probably switch to that.

I feel particularly hard done by since we have been supporting them for many years. The fact that this was done without giving anyone notice is simply poor business ethics and unacceptable.

I would be interested for an iBurst rep to contact me, to hear if they can accommodate us in any way, but I somehow doubt if that is going to happen.

Last edited:

divv

Supposedly they did a "systems upgrade" and now the system won't allow the VAS. Could just be a story.. who knows... whoever does isn't telling us that's for sure.
But if there really were only 125 of us left over from when the VAS was introduced, then as I said we really are too few to matter to them .. regardless of the loyalty we have shown. "You want loyalty get a dog" is the expression I guess..
As you said, it was for me the "perfect" package and I put up with the disconnects etc because it gave me the bandwidth I wanted overnight..
Now for a new plan... but what....?

Gekco

Expert Member
Supposedly they did a "systems upgrade" and now the system won't allow the VAS. Could just be a story.. who knows... whoever does isn't telling us that's for sure.
But if there really were only 125 of us left over from when the VAS was introduced, then as I said we really are too few to matter to them .. regardless of the loyalty we have shown. "You want loyalty get a dog" is the expression I guess..
As you said, it was for me the "perfect" package and I put up with the disconnects etc because it gave me the bandwidth I wanted overnight..
Now for a new plan... but what....?

The systems upgrade is a BS excuse. I work in Software Dev myself...
The point is I want as many people as possible to see how iBurst treat their customers.

In the longer term they are also going to lose the account in it's entirety, and I will be back here regularly to discourage anyone from using iBurst again. I left them once before and switched to ADSL which I was very happy with. A move to an area where there was no ADSL lines a long time ago made me switch back...

I am weighing up different options atm...

biena

Executive Member

Here is what I get from them
We have escalated this problem to our Systems department, we will provide you with an update as soon as the problem has been resolved
So its official, lies and more lies.

divv if you have an email or something in writing could you please forward it to me ?

As to the full month, check your invoice you were already billed for May if you paid forget about getting that money back from these guys.

I am on the uncapped VAS know another member on here is on it also.