Bandwidth Usage seems higher than usual?

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I still dont get how they can call a package that only allows you to use 2GB a day uncapped, its a 60GB account.
Is there any package that is called "uncapped" that is truly uncapped?

IIRC, there's a subtlety with iBurst's "uncapped" offering; the "fair usage" counter resets at midnight so if you download a big update overnight, you risk waking up capped for the entire day. I always thought it would be "fairer" if it reset at 8am (the same time that midnight-to-morning ends).

B.K

The way the midnight to morning was running was uncapped, not this crap they are pushing on us now

Gekco

Expert Member
Fortunately iBurst are not able to prevent us from taking screenshots of anything posted here or in the media or e-mails and forwarding it to journalists or publishing it ourselves... The silence is deafening from iBurst

Gekco

Expert Member
I am no longer so heavily involved in the SA IT scene. This however has got me thinking again.. I am primarily focussed in ARA work and have 1,000's of friends on FB & Twitter. Your move iBurst... Then again you do not really care how many customers you lose because? Can we see your financial statements?

divv

So.. any word on whether the Uncapped Lite would be made available NOT on a 2 year contract???

B.K

Got this email from ibust

Good Day,

Kindly advised that your iBurst contract is due for a renewal. Take advantage of any of these Fantastic renewal offers.

- You are on a M40+ (40gig during peak time and another 40gig incentive off peak)

- And you are paying R592 monthly subscription

Kindly advised that you can choose to renew the contract to a further 24months on the same package you’re on and choose any of the following renewal offers
- Free 1mb Desktop modem or USB modem

- Or free Linksys wireless router

And if you do not require another hardware, you can still renew and get a monthly discount and this will mean your monthly subscription will go down to R532.80

And if you wish to downgrade the package, you can downgrade to Max 25+ (25gig during peak time and another 25gig incentive off peak) and the monthly subscription is R445 and you will be entitled for either 1mb Desktop modem, 1mb USB modem or Linksys wifi router for free.
Otherwise if you don’t need another hardware, you can still renew and get a monthly discount and that will reduce the subscription further down to R400.50

please find the package price list attached.

Did you know that iBurst allows up to Four modems linked on one contract? You can have more than one device linked to your contract to which you can use all of them at the same time; for instance four people connected on the internet at the same time, different locations, sharing the same data without any interferences.

Kindly confirm which renewal option are you taking.

Kind regards,

Fungai Mkwawa | Retentions

iBurst Business
business solutions.simplified

| Tel : 0877276550 | Fax : 0867519559| | Email : fungai.mkwawa@iburstgroup.co.za
Web : www.iburst.co.za | Addresses : Address : 3012A, William Nichol Drive, Bryanston, 2021 | PO Box 651921, Benmore 2010
Please view our email disclaimer

divv

"At least" they offered to give you a non-modem rate.. I asked about this and got no answer.
But if it meant signing up for 2 years with Iburst I'd skip ANY "discount".

I've received SMS's telling me that Telkom is coming today to install my line.
They may be rated the worst in the ADSL ISP in the round-ups posted here on myBB, but they CANNOT be worse than Iburst has been with these recent actions.

For what its worth, I managed to get a refund of the VAS for this month. Doesn't come CLOSE to making up for the inconvenience Iburst has caused me: the hours of time I wasted trying to get answers from them (and the airtime wasted in the process); then the hours spent scrambling to get a new line set up in time.
If it wouldn't take more of MY precious time I'd take them to Small Claims Court for damages...

Reavs

It looks like the M40+ has been discontinued. I wonder when they will force downgrade everyone to the M25 package.

Gekco

Expert Member
I received this via FaceBook PM on Monday from iBurst:

"Hi, we are sorry for the late response, you are correct in saying that our Uncapped packages allow only one concurrent iBurst modem, this policy cannot be changed so unfortunately we cannot allow more than one modem to be linked to one Uncapped subscription."

It will probably be another fight to get the VAS for April refunded and to get them to stop billing us for it. They have already billed us for VAS for May.

I'll need to check and follow up to see if we are receiving a non-modem rate as well.

Our contract expired at the end of January and we are now on a month to month basis. There is no way in the world we will be signing up for another 24 month contract with iBurst no matter what discounts or hardware they offer to include in it.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
It's not listed on their website or in the renewal e-mail I received earlier today.
Ah, OK, thanks. It seems like B.K. had the option to renew or stay on that same package though.

divv

When I was talking to them about options they emailed my a list of packages - the lady said some of them weren't on the website.
From her email:
"MAX 25 - @ R445 allows you to use more than 1 device on the account and gives you 50 gigs of data per month, which is 25 gigs anytime or 25 gigs midnight to morning 08h00.

M40 - @ R592 allows you to use more than 1 device on the account and gives you 80 gigs of data per month 40 gigs anytime and 40 gigs midnight to morning 08h00.

M75 @ R955 M40 - @ R592 allows you to use more than 1 device on the account and gives you 150 gigs of data per month 75 gigs anytime and 75 gigs midnight to morning 08h00.

Uncapped @ R599 which only allows 1 modem assigned to the account – gives you 5 gigs per day. You don’t run out of data should the 5 gigs finish it just slows your speed.

Uncapped + @ R879 which only allows 1 modem assigned to the account – gives you 10 gigs per day. You don’t run out of data should the 10 gigs finish it just slows your speed."

No mention was made of a "non-modem" rate - I even asked for one and she didn't respond to that.

macnab69

To compensate for the loss of the VAS, and for having "Bandwidth Cap Reached" for 20 days, my account was reset - 5GB + 5GB. The Midnight to Morning works ok on the account summary. With the daytime bandwidth it is completely wrong. Apart from the fact that it should be displayed the same way as Midnight to Morning, I have had roughly 3.8GB disappear. I subtract M2M remaining from total remaining to get daytime remaining. If I then add this to daytime used to get allocation it is different every day.

So their system sucks. Surely they can copy and paste the code from the M2M and just change the name of the variables?

Regarding the uncapped M2M, I saw a post (can't find it now) from 2010 which stated that the uncapped was ending at the end of that month. So some people knew that it was meant to stop. The fact that it didn't stop is typical iBurst.

An important problem with disappearing daytime bandwidth, is that M2M only w9orks if you have a +ve daytime balance. If you have all your M2M bandwidth available, and you sue up your daytime bandwidth, the M2M becomes unavailable. And there is no carry-over with M2M.

macnab69

Reading through the posts there seems to be a misunderstanding about Uncapped Anytime. This VAS kicked in when you used up all your daytime (Anytime) bandwidth. You were then allowed uncapped usage, but at a throttled speed - it worked out to roughly 256MB per day. Apparently this was discontinued more than 2 years ago, as far as I can tell without notice. Being iBurst, they still billed us for it and it still worked. Their new system is smart enough to stop it working. :( I have been promised a credit for April and May fees.

Midnight to Morning is not a VAS. You don't pay for it. It is a perk. I have seen them refer to it as an incentive. Basically, if you have the 5 + 5GB package you actually have a 10GB package, and they want you to use half of it at night - this solves contention problems. I am sure you have noticed the speed drop in the mornings when all the businesses connect. The non-capping was apparently discontinued in 2010. (I don't remember any notice.) Being iBurst, we still got uncapped M2M. :p For 5 years iBurst were unaware that people had uncapped downloads at night. Their new system fixes that. :(

divv

Reading through the posts there seems to be a misunderstanding about Uncapped Anytime. This VAS kicked in when you used up all your daytime (Anytime) bandwidth. You were then allowed uncapped usage, but at a throttled speed - it worked out to roughly 256MB per day. Apparently this was discontinued more than 2 years ago, as far as I can tell without notice. Being iBurst, they still billed us for it and it still worked. (
Apart from being able to continue to browse at a reduced speed after you reached your cap, one of the features of the VAS was that your Midnight to 8 data was not counted against your usage (this was indicated in posts here on myBB).
We were also informed (from posts here and in PM's by Iburst reps) that the Uncapped VAS was no longer available to new people but those that had it could keep using it.
There is simply NO EXCUSE for the way Iburst treated us on this, but I guess they figure that there were few enough people affected that "tough - let them freak out".
What annoys me the most is that it took a full week of trying every possible way of trying to get answers before it came down to this. That they couldn't be bothered to answer emails, or post here, or on their FB page or ANYTHING, shows their complete lack of any vestige of "client service".
I used my last few megs of data this morning and have now unplugged the modems (they are for sale if anyone is interested). Iburst got my money for around 7 years: they won't get another cent from me again.
The "much maligned" Telkom got me up and running with ADSL in 7 days.

macnab69

I didn't realise that the uncapped M2M was part of the VAS. Seeing as there were so few of us, instead of saying "screw them" they could have just gone on with it. In the larger scheme of things it was not that much data.

I managed to get a reaction from them by reporting them to the ISPA.

PS Maybe the rest of you should do that as well - ispa.org.za. Get the ISPA swamped with people complaining. Of course, all we will get back is 1 month in lieu of notice.

Last edited:

divv

I didn't realise that the uncapped M2M was part of the VAS. Seeing as there were so few of us, instead of saying "screw them" they could have just gone on with it. In the larger scheme of things it was not that much data.

I managed to get a reaction from them by reporting them to the ISPA.
The uncapped M2M was the only reason I had the VAS... apart from one month when something weird happened, I NEVER used up my Anytime data.
Yes they could have just let us keep using it.. but as I said - no "customer service".
Good for you on ISPA.