Basic website hosting prices compared

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
How much it costs to host a basic website in South Africa

Having a website for your brand is vital in the modern age, and South African businesses have a range of hosting providers from which to choose.

It is crucial that you choose the right hosting service for your needs to ensure that you get reliable performance and sufficient resources.

system32

Executive Member
What does

Email accounts2,000250Unlimited

Refer to?
Is this users who can post/comment on blogs in Wordpress or is this IMAP accounts?

charlieharper

Expert Member
If you know a bit of Linux, you can get some Cape Town hosted AWS (EC2) for a bit cheaper...
But yes, it's probably not the way to go if you're not technical / don't have budget to contract someone who does.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
What does

Email accounts2,000250Unlimited

Refer to?
Is this users who can post/comment on blogs in Wordpress or is this IMAP accounts?

Hi,

Those are the number of imap/pop3 accounts that you can create.

McGuywer

Executive Member
If you know a bit of Linux, you can get some Cape Town hosted AWS (EC2) for a bit cheaper...
But yes, it's probably not the way to go if you're not technical / don't have budget to contract someone who does.
Please elaborate since I have been meaning to get a EC2 instance but I do not understand the whole AWS pricing.
I basically need a EC2 instance that runs 24/7 with minimal processing power required.

Regarding article:
Also, having 2000 emails on 10GB just wouldn't cut it.

saor

Honorary Master
When it comes to service, Xneelo has the highest rating on HelloPeter of 4.66 out of five. 1-Grid has a rating of 4.43, and Afrihost has the lowest rating at 1.52.
Can see why. The rare occasion I've needed to call them you can just hit them with the nerd talk and they respond with nerd talk and the problem is resolved. Most companies first-line support aren't versed in nerd like they seem to be.

charlieharper

Expert Member
Please elaborate since I have been meaning to get a EC2 instance but I do not understand the whole AWS pricing.
I basically need a EC2 instance that runs 24/7 with minimal processing power required.
Okay yes, it's quite tricky since they do hourly billing and have multiple billing plans, etc etc.
But basically the most basic and straightforward one would be AWS EC2 On-Demand instances, which costs 0.0068 USD x 730 hours in a month = 4.96 USD (±R70) for the smallest tier instance (t3.nano) running Linux, on AWS Africa (Cape Town).

Still need some storage, if you're running a little API, probably not much, but I'd do minimum 5gb of General Purpose SSD. Same pricing structure, 5 GB x 0.1309 USD = 0.65 USD.

So this totals to about $5.61, which comes down to around R81 at current exchange rate.

I'd recommend adding a static IP, so you don't have to configure DNS settings every time your instance reboots.
AWS Elastic IP's costs about $0.11 per month which will bring your total bill to around R84 per month.

Do play around on the AWS Calculator for a better idea.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Okay yes, it's quite tricky since they do hourly billing and have multiple billing plans, etc etc.
But basically the most basic and straightforward one would be AWS EC2 On-Demand instances, which costs 0.0068 USD x 730 hours in a month = 4.96 USD (±R70) for the smallest tier instance (t3.nano) running Linux, on AWS Africa (Cape Town).

Still need some storage, if you're running a little API, probably not much, but I'd do minimum 5gb of General Purpose SSD. Same pricing structure, 5 GB x 0.1309 USD = 0.65 USD.

So this totals to about $5.61, which comes down to around R81 at current exchange rate.

I'd recommend adding a static IP, so you don't have to configure DNS settings every time your instance reboots.
AWS Elastic IP's costs about $0.11 per month which will bring your total bill to around R84 per month.

Do play around on the AWS Calculator for a better idea.

With AWS you also have to pay separately for outgoing data transfer as well.

Muks

I'm hosting a very basic static site in AWS, fully serverless:
S3, CloudFront, Route53, SES, some Lambdas for email delivery to Gmail.

Monthly cost: 0.50 USD +VAT
Annual domain co.za cost: 13 USD +VAT

Dark Agent

Expert Member

Regarding article:
Also, having 2000 emails on 10GB just wouldn't cut it.
Just to add to @charlieharper post

You also need to add traffic billed @$0.11 per GB.
Secondly you get 53% off if you reserve the instance for 1 year upfront. If your instance don't need to be running 24/7 and can go down 10% of the time; you can go with spot instance with a saving of 85%.

There is also AWS Lightsail that preconfigured everything for you. Fixed cost @$3.50 per month.

MadHatterZA

Another cool option, if you're just hosting a static site, is something like GitHub pages, Netlify or Cloudflare pages. If you have something like a wordpress site that you don't update often you can use localWP and the Simply Static plugin to compile the site to static files that you can upload to any of the above.