Being Overdue for a Service!

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Some of you okes who follow my antics will know that I drive around quite a bit.....

In 500km time, my Fortuner will be ready for her 130 000km service, this will be the 3rd service this year and I only like having this done at Eastvaal Toyota in Potch, usually when I am in town to collect her....

As fate would see fit, my plan was to be in Potch next week and by my calculations I would be 700km OVER the 130 000km service interval.

BUT, my ENGLISH father in law passed on during the wee hours of this morn ( we were prepared/expecting it) and I find myself doing a 760km trip to Cape Town on Saturday, then Wednesday/Thursday next week a 1350km trip to Potch before I head back to Namibia from there...

This means that my beloved Fortuner Wagon will be around 1600km past her due date.
I really don't wish to take her to another dealer in the Cape and want to push on through to Potch, Do you motoring experts reckon it's not a big deal or should I have this service done in the Cape? what could go wrong? ;)

Thanking you in advance.....

Bruce Springsteen, Cat Stevens and Mike and his mechanics will be accompanying me on me travels....

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Six year old car, past the 5 year warranty mark, I pay all my own way, no stress with doing that, turned down the extended warranty.....

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Six year old car, past the 5 year warranty mark, I pay all my own way, no stress with doing that, turned down the extended warranty.....
All you need to know is if your 130k km service is a major or minor. If your car is in good nick, I don't think going 5k km over its due (service) mileage will be a problem.

But how come you don't service your own car ?

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
But how come you don't service your own car ?
This car get's service at all the intervals, and I don't service my own car as I want the dealers stamp in me book and record of the history on their system....

Love my Fortuner....:love:

The_Traveller

Expert Member
This car get's service at all the intervals, and I don't service my own car as I want the dealers stamp in me book and record of the history on their system....

Love my Fortuner....:love:
No no, I get you. There’s a muppet that roams around this forum that claims that if you don’t service your own car, then you can’t be taken seriously. All talk no action. Whatever that means ...

Dan C

Honorary Master
No no, I get you. There’s a muppet that roams around this forum that claims that if you don’t service your own car, then you can’t be taken seriously. All talk no action. Whatever that means ...
Service your own car? I don't even know how to open my bonnet.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
should I have this service done in the Cape? what could go wrong? ;)
Give Rola Toyota in Strand a call. They've been looking after my folks' Hilux for almost 300,000KM and never had any hassle. Also ask about the value service discount.

While you wait for you chariot you can pop across to Yesterday's Heros and check out some mint classics, ask if you can check out the collection in the back room, some really mundane/run of the mill cars in mint condition back there.

Last edited:

unobeat

Being 1600km over the due service schedule won't be harmful as i have seen the worst and i can sense that you like sticking to a single dealership.

A car that spends time on an open road is less stressed as you will be cruising 97% of the time.

Arthur

Honorary Master
If you changed the oil and filter within the past year you'll be fine.

Modern oils are a wonder of engineering, with detergents, anti-oxidants and anti-foamers helping to keep the oil from breaking down so it can do its main job of lubrication and heat-dissipation.

Engine oils have a limited life, measured not just in number of cold-to-hot cycles but also in time, which is why it's good to change the oil after a year or so even if you've only driven 1000 km. The oil breaks down over time and loses its efficacy.

Open-road long-distance cruising, provided you don't overheat, is far less stressful on an engine - and engine oil - than urban driving with many engine starts & stops. As you know, it's good to vary engine revs from time to time, so avoid sitting at the same revs hour after hour.

So, provided your current oil isn't much older than a year or so and hasn't been overstressed through say an overheating event, a few thousand extra km of long-distance cruising won't make the slightest diffs.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
3rd service in a year, out of warranty, you'll be fine, just ensure the service is done after.

nazmo

Expert Member
out of warranty, no issue. Its a toyota as well. if in warranty, confirm with agents, usually 1500km allowed.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Some of you okes who follow my antics will know that I drive around quite a bit.....

In 500km time, my Fortuner will be ready for her 130 000km service, this will be the 3rd service this year and I only like having this done at Eastvaal Toyota in Potch, usually when I am in town to collect her....

As fate would see fit, my plan was to be in Potch next week and by my calculations I would be 700km OVER the 130 000km service interval.

BUT, my ENGLISH father in law passed on during the wee hours of this morn ( we were prepared/expecting it) and I find myself doing a 760km trip to Cape Town on Saturday, then Wednesday/Thursday next week a 1350km trip to Potch before I head back to Namibia from there...

This means that my beloved Fortuner Wagon will be around 1600km past her due date.
I really don't wish to take her to another dealer in the Cape and want to push on through to Potch, Do you motoring experts reckon it's not a big deal or should I have this service done in the Cape? what could go wrong? ;)

Thanking you in advance.....

Bruce Springsteen, Cat Stevens and Mike and his mechanics will be accompanying me on me travels....
Condolences on the old man. The living years will be hard to listen to.