Belhar Fiber

jackb

It looks like they digging again in old belhar. Lastmile is the company i see is busy. They digging up trenches in front of peoples houses
My Buddy just had this discussion with me. And according to my knowledge that is DFA doing the trenching their Last mile is hired by them.

I just informed my buddy I had to fight a year to get fiber in my area but it worked. they want 30% of the houses to show their interest but people do not seem interested in it. I walked house to house for 300 houses to 30% interested using a pen and paper and then at night I would manually submit the details I got. took about a few months and we had fiber! belhar Guys needs to follow the process like I told my buddy he saw the trenching got excited and I bet its for nothing just DFA putting in place backhaul links or replacing old ones.

All you need to do is get in contact with vumatel, vumareach, octotel, openserve or frogfoot and get that ball rolling. Start spreading the word that people has to show interest for your extension.

RPOTGIETER_007

Never thought of it that way. I dont think they doing backhaul as they are actually digging infront of every house when i drive by. I know im abit excited as i dont even live in the posh side of belhar ‍♂️. So im hoping they moving to my side as well and not stopping at the old train tracks . I think ill follow up ans follow your suggestion..

RPOTGIETER_007

Those in Belhar area that want to follow jackb suggestion and canvas for fiber interest can pm me. Maybe we can work together. I was all excited until i read jackb post and saw on the major isp websites that they dont even mention belhar.....

jackb

Correct. I looked on DFA website and saw they are trenching in accordian street... So it will be past peoples houses but its not a fiber to the home service.

jackb

you can check which houses is part of your extension by using COCT mapviewer and searching Belhar EXT (and your Number) it will highlight all the houses in your extension then you need 30% of that houses to sign up.

For Example Highbury and Highbury Park is 2 different extensions and though the one got fiber the other didnt...

neoassasin

They are busy with fibre in Belhar. It’s Vumatel as a notice was sent on the Old Belhar WhatsApp group detailing their plans. The dig in front of peoples houses and lay the cables and install the grey boxes. Dark fibre to my knowledge just lay cables along main roads and not in front of everyone’s houses.

RPOTGIETER_007

Drive pass there everyday. I saw the boards advertising fiber ia coming. So its definitely coming. And not just backhaul installs.

marlon1029

They are busy trenching in our area now, The Musicals - ext 6 and 7. Will find out by them tmrw or Monday what the whole setup is.

All I can say is that last year February Vuma Reach came around to enquire whether we would be interested in FTTH. I guess there was a lot of postivie feedback and a month later they left letters to say that they will start trenching the following week. Then the lock down started and everything was put on hold.

Now they back and I'm just happy that things are happening. If its the same as as the other areas where Vuma Reach is active then we looking at 20Mbps/10Mbps for R399 or 40Mbps/10Mbps for R529.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-11 Vuma Reach Fibre - Afrihost(3).png
    Screenshot_2021-02-11 Vuma Reach Fibre - Afrihost(3).png
    47.7 KB · Views: 24

RPOTGIETER_007

Spoke to one of the guys working there. He said vumatel contracted quite a few companies to do the fiber in the whole belhar. According to him they were given a 5 month contract each to complete the belhar project. From old belhar right up to the r300. So thats at least very good news. My personal take 20mb is stil an overkill for a lot of people. They can introduce lower end packages like 5mb and 10mb at a low price. At least that way you do a blanket cover for lower income households. Maybe that wil help getting these kids of the streets.

jackb

So I got hold of my Buddy at Vumatel and Yes that is Fiber to the Home they just have not updated any maps. Its VumaReach in Belhar. Well done Belhar!

jackb

Spoke to one of the guys working there. He said vumatel contracted quite a few companies to do the fiber in the whole belhar. According to him they were given a 5 month contract each to complete the belhar project. From old belhar right up to the r300. So thats at least very good news. My personal take 20mb is stil an overkill for a lot of people. They can introduce lower end packages like 5mb and 10mb at a low price. At least that way you do a blanket cover for lower income households. Maybe that wil help getting these kids of the streets.
20mbs These days are just enough. I have a 1Gbs Line and thats over Kill but these days anything under 20mbs is not worth it. and that is affordable R399 is very cheap. R399 wont get you even 10mbs on normal Vumatel lines.

jackb

They are busy trenching in our area now, The Musicals - ext 6 and 7. Will find out by them tmrw or Monday what the whole setup is.

All I can say is that last year February Vuma Reach came around to enquire whether we would be interested in FTTH. I guess there was a lot of postivie feedback and a month later they left letters to say that they will start trenching the following week. Then the lock down started and everything was put on hold.

Now they back and I'm just happy that things are happening. If its the same as as the other areas where Vuma Reach is active then we looking at 20Mbps/10Mbps for R399 or 40Mbps/10Mbps for R529.
Yip the VumaReach Prices are great for Lower income homes. Only bad thing is that once the reach is installed there is no way of getting anything faster.

marlon1029

Ja, I wish they could develop some system where we in VumaReach areas can decide on either VumaReach or the normal FTTH speed options with full prices. Cause in Belhar and I'm sure in other areas, there are people who want higher speeds and willing to pay that full price that other neigbourhoods pay. We'll see what happens, but for now I'm happy that we getting fiber and at a great price. Might take a month or two though.

And as you say 20Mbps should be just enough for some people, for me though; I guess I'll go for the 40/10 option as I'm currently using MTN LTE and speeds are good, average 45Mbps and up to 70Mbps. On a 60+60 with Axxess for R349. So moving to uncapped at R529 would be the next "upgrade".

neoassasin

So I got hold of my Buddy at Vumatel and Yes that is Fiber to the Home they just have not updated any maps. Its VumaReach in Belhar. Well done Belhar!

A bit disappointing that. The message on the Old Belhar WhatsApp group mentioned Vumatel with speeds up to 1 gig. I was aiming for the 100 meg option because streaming in 4K, gaming and watching YouTube is what usually happens at home and that’s not really gonna work with 40 meg.

Chaoticelf

I see the maps are updated on Vuma website as in progress. Now the wait begins for go live

marlon1029

It now shows your area is fibre-ready. Great news.... :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-26 Vuma Fibre Fibre to the Home Fast and Reliable Internet.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-26 Vuma Fibre Fibre to the Home Fast and Reliable Internet.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 12