Belhar Fiber

donougdm

Yes but still not live. Apparently it’s Awaiting POP completion. Whatever that means.
Fiber POP

The heart of a fibre optic network
The POP (Point of Presence) is the heart of a network, the place where connections come together. Its setup needs to be able to cope with different demands in capacity and support, speed and quality, and automatic configuration.

RPOTGIETER_007

Ja, I wish they could develop some system where we in VumaReach areas can decide on either VumaReach or the normal FTTH speed options with full prices. Cause in Belhar and I'm sure in other areas, there are people who want higher speeds and willing to pay that full price that other neigbourhoods pay. We'll see what happens, but for now I'm happy that we getting fiber and at a great price. Might take a month or two though.

And as you say 20Mbps should be just enough for some people, for me though; I guess I'll go for the 40/10 option as I'm currently using MTN LTE and speeds are good, average 45Mbps and up to 70Mbps. On a 60+60 with Axxess for R349. So moving to uncapped at R529 would be the next "upgrade".
Whats the difference between what vumareach is offering and ftth

donougdm

Whats the difference between what vumareach is offering and ftth
Vumareach only offers 2 speeds with limited device comnections, whereas pure fibre as in other so called upmarket areas offers speeds 50, 100, 200 up to 1gig. Strange how some areas with pure fibre are considered upmarket....hugely debatable. I was hoping to sign up for 100megs as we are big family with more than 10 devives. As previously stated, they should have a mix of vumareach and pure fibre in an area. I have brother libing im Durbanville and he chose lowest speed of 10 as its only him amd his wofe using it.

Lostboy

Also the ONT and router is one device, keeps costs down apparently and you can't mess with the settings like you would a stand alone router, stand to be corrected on the settings part.

Where as the more affluent areas would have the ONT and router seperate and you can do what you want with the router, chop and change routers etc as you want.

KS17

Also the ONT and router is one device, keeps costs down apparently and you can't mess with the settings like you would a stand alone router, stand to be corrected on the settings part.

Where as the more affluent areas would have the ONT and router seperate and you can do what you want with the router, chop and change routers etc as you want.
ONT settings are locked. Everything else is open.

marlon1029

Seems like parts of Belhar are live. Wonder how long before ext 7 goes live?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-165058.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-165058.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210408-165256.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-165256.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 34

marlon1029

So about 30 minutes ago my fibre installation was done. They arrived about 30 minutes before the scheduled time, but that's fine, was hoping that they would be early.

I must say these guys worked fast, the whole process took about 40 minutes (as our house is a corner plot- the outside duct is on the furthest point, the cabling came to about 27m) and they then told me to wait for the sms with wifi login details to come through and activation. According to them, that can take up to 24 hours. Surprisingly I was activated 5 minutes later.

I pre-ordered the beginning of March with Afrihost as I've had been with them since 2013. So now to do some test and explore.

Lostboy

So about 30 minutes ago my fibre installation was done. They arrived about 30 minutes before the scheduled time, but that's fine, was hoping that they would be early.

I must say these guys worked fast, the whole process took about 40 minutes (as our house is a corner plot- the outside duct is on the furthest point, the cabling came to about 27m) and they then told me to wait for the sms with wifi login details to come through and activation. According to them, that can take up to 24 hours. Surprisingly I was activated 5 minutes later.

I pre-ordered the beginning of March with Afrihost as I've had been with them since 2013. So now to do some test and explore.
Nice One!! Enjoy!!

marlon1029

Hey man, just saw your post. How has your first day been? I am awaiting my install as well, hope to have a similar experience too!
Hi, it has been awesome. In the words of my 5 year old niece " YouTube doesn't buffer anymore!" Speeds are good. I have 40Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

I also find the router supplied sufficient for my needs. It has 4 Ethernet ports and my home network runs off it. I was standing in our garage which is at the furthest point from the router and did a speed test and still got that speed. With my old B525 router, signal in the garage would normally disappear.

When did you order and when is your installation scheduled? Which service provider did you chooose?

neoassasin

Hi, it has been awesome. In the words of my 5 year old niece " YouTube doesn't buffer anymore!" Speeds are good. I have 40Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

I also find the router supplied sufficient for my needs. It has 4 Ethernet ports and my home network runs off it. I was standing in our garage which is at the furthest point from the router and did a speed test and still got that speed. With my old B525 router, signal in the garage would normally disappear.

When did you order and when is your installation scheduled? Which service provider did you chooose?

Hi marlon I’m waiting for installation as well but it is a bit delayed as my order had to be changed to a line 2 as it is not in the main house. So still waiting for them to schedule installation. When you say the supplied router do you mean the one fixed to the wall and if so do all 4 Ethernet ports work as from the website the ONT installed only has one Ethernet port.

marlon1029

Hi marlon I’m waiting for installation as well but it is a bit delayed as my order had to be changed to a line 2 as it is not in the main house. So still waiting for them to schedule installation. When you say the supplied router do you mean the one fixed to the wall and if so do all 4 Ethernet ports work as from the website the ONT installed only has one Ethernet port.
Yes the one fixed to the wall, basically the ONT with wifi and ethernet ports. I currently have two pc's connected via ethernet cable (and a about 3 WiFi devices of household and it works fine). Not sure if the different ISP's supply different ONT/Routers. I'm with Afrihost. Also a 3rd party company does the install on behalf of Vuma.

Hope you don't wait to long.

Edit: My pc's were off when I took the pic. That's why you don't see the LAN lights on:)

Attachments

• 20210421_102820.jpg
    20210421_102820.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

Quwenafc

I just got a call from Vuma now, they are coming sometime today. I also ordered the same package from Afrihost (mainly because of what I've read on threads here).

I am in a complex, so my area is smaller so hopefully I won't have a problem with getting disconnected. Also, do you know how many wifi connections the ONT takes at a time? I currently don't have a router yet, will probably sort one out sometime this weekend hopefully.

marlon1029

Nice if it’s a router like that why do they need to mount it to the wall?
At the time I was most probably not thinking. And they glued the fibre cable to the wall. I guess because the fibre cable is so thin they don't want a lot of movement on it and break. But at the moment it is fine for me. I'll cover up the messy cables.