Belhar Fiber

marlon1029

I just got a call from Vuma now, they are coming sometime today. I also ordered the same package from Afrihost (mainly because of what I've read on threads here).

I am in a complex, so my area is smaller so hopefully I won't have a problem with getting disconnected. Also, do you know how many wifi connections the ONT takes at a time? I currently don't have a router yet, will probably sort one out sometime this weekend hopefully.
Great. By default its configured for 10 devices, but as can be seen from the screenshot it can go up to 32. Now earlier forum discussions on Mitchell's Plain fibre said that those settings were locked and they I think they couldn't even change the SSID Name (under correction). Now those are open.

But I must still explore those settings.

You dont actually need a router as the device serves also as one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-21 EG8141A5(1).png
    Screenshot_2021-04-21 EG8141A5(1).png
    39 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_2021-04-21 EG8141A5.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-21 EG8141A5.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Yuu

Quwenafc

Great. By default its configured for 10 devices, but as can be seen from the screenshot it can go up to 32. Now earlier forum discussions on Mitchell's Plain fibre said that those settings were locked and they I think they couldn't even change the SSID Name (under correction). Now those are open.

But I must still explore those settings.

You dont actually need a router as the device serves also as one.
Awesome, thanks for the info. They just rocked up now for the install. Hopefully I have no hiccups

Quwenafc

Awesome, I hope it goes well.
So my install was done earlier. When they left the only light that was on was the LOS light flashing red(no power or anything showing). Checked a few minutes ago and now the power light and wlan light is showing green, however the LOS is still flashing red. So I am assuming I'm still not activated?

marlon1029

So my install was done earlier. When they left the only light that was on was the LOS light flashing red(no power or anything showing). Checked a few minutes ago and now the power light and wlan light is showing green, however the LOS is still flashing red. So I am assuming I'm still not activated?
Ja it seems like you not activated yet. What colour is PON light, and is it flashing or steady? You can also ask AfriNatic to assist. His support is awesome.

Quwenafc

Ja it seems like you not activated yet. What colour is PON light, and is it flashing or steady? You can also ask AfriNatic to assist. His support is awesome.
My PON light is currently not showing anything at all. Also, did you get your wifi details immediately after install or only once activated? When I spoke to afrihost they told me they sent it via sms but I never received anything.

marlon1029

My PON light is currently not showing anything at all. Also, did you get your wifi details immediately after install or only once activated? When I spoke to afrihost they told me they sent it via sms but I never received anything.
The PON light is the one that; according to the installers, should indicate whether your activated or not..a flashing PON light means not activated and steady means activated. I got my details basically at the same time the light stopped flashing. But all this happened within a few minutes when I signed off the installation. They were still here when it got activated.

Try to DM Afrinatic. He is the Afrihost rep here.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have logged it for you.

Red LOS light means no optic levels. The current status of the order is still installation in progress. I assume they ran into problems so once we have feedback on the ticket logged we can see the way forward from there.

neoassasin

So my fibre was installed Friday 30 April about 18 days after ordering. Once the guys finished they discovered there are no ports available in the black box and splicing needs to be done. My light is still flashing red and feedback from my ISP is Vumatel is saying it has been sent to the RNO and they will advise once they receive feedback. Anyone know what the RNO is?

marlon1029

So my fibre was installed Friday 30 April about 18 days after ordering. Once the guys finished they discovered there are no ports available in the black box and splicing needs to be done. My light is still flashing red and feedback from my ISP is Vumatel is saying it has been sent to the RNO and they will advise once they receive feedback. Anyone know what the RNO is?
Did you find out what RNO is?

I recall you saying that your install would not be in the main house, does this mean that one can have more then 1 install at a specific address and is that where the splicing comes in?

18 days are quite long wait for an installation. Friends and family here in Belhar got next day installation or 2 days after, when they made payment.

neoassasin

Did you find out what RNO is?

I recall you saying that your install would not be in the main house, does this mean that one can have more then 1 install at a specific address and is that where the splicing comes in?

18 days are quite long wait for an installation. Friends and family here in Belhar got next day installation or 2 days after, when they made payment.

No did not find out what RNO is. The splicing was not because of more than one installation. The black box outside supports 4 lines, 2 for you and 2 for your neighbour. The reason for the splicing is only one port was active and the others were not activated when they initially laid the fibre. But everything seems to be working now.

marlon1029

No did not find out what RNO is. The splicing was not because of more than one installation. The black box outside supports 4 lines, 2 for you and 2 for your neighbour. The reason for the splicing is only one port was active and the others were not activated when they initially laid the fibre. But everything seems to be working now.
Great that it is working.
And good to know that one can have another line.