Best Graphic Design courses in JHB?

Saajid

Expert Member
Hi.

Following on from my previous thread - Best Web Design / Web Development courses in JHB?, I am also looking for a good course in graphic design.

I already have decent skills in Photoshop (since school days) and have the creativity to excel, but right now I need a kickstart.

I am looking for an intensive 1 week course that will teach me about:
- advanced features of Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator, basics + advanced
- working with vector graphics
- graphic design - advanced

As mentioned in my other post, I know there are great tutorials on the net that will help me, but the problem is that I don't have the discipline to learn in this way.

The course needs to be based in JHB.

Can anyone recommend something?

upup

Executive Member
cti? my daughter just started their. I am happy what they teach their. More than happy, money well spend.

Keeper

Honorary Master
meh - i'd go for video DVD's, and learn from the PRO'S - gnomon.

you can pause, rewind, play over again - can't do that with a lecturer really....

Saajid

Expert Member
meh - i'd go for video DVD's, and learn from the PRO'S - gnomon.

you can pause, rewind, play over again - can't do that with a lecturer really....

Could you be a bit more specific? Where do I get these from? Which ones can you recommend? do you have some links?

Murdoc

Im gona say something i wish some1 told me long ago
Knowing the design apps means sweet duck all, doing those tutorials doesnt make you a good designer.
Unfortunately design is about creativity and out the box thinking not about the software or techniques

So if you consider yourself a creative in every aspect , have a diploma ,you could have the potential to work in a advertising agency but understand , they are very hard to break into and want an outstanding portfolios of usually corporate design( something tuts don’t really go into) and three to five years agency experience…:wtf:
A medium weight design usually earns 10-15k in an agency and mostly they have one art director who could earn up to 30k, its very cut throat

There are other positions for designer but agencies pay the best

So if you still consider yourself a potential graphic designer the one thing you need tp completely forget about is a one week course
Any course that is worth it will not teach you the software but rather the elements and principles of design (the theory).
And they are 2-3 years courses

Saajid

Expert Member
@Murdoc - Thanks for the response.

I agree with you that the most important requirement is creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. But I am not looking for a job at an advertising agency, or a full blown career in graphic design/art, or trying to be the best designer out there. I am just trying to improve my current skill set so that I can design better websites, logos, business cards, flyers, brochures, catalogues etc. for my clients. My primary job is still as a software/web developer. I've got decent graphic design skills already, and I know that I have the creativity to do much better. I just need a kickstart. I need to learn more about the tools of the trade (Photoshop / Illustrator / Vector Graphics), which are also important to know and learn about...