Best VoIP service?

sege5641

So I'm looking for a voip provider that I can use with my Asterisk server giving me a local SA number.

I would like to find the cheapest and don't need extra services like voicemail because Asterisk will give me everything I need.

I already have a Google Voice extension but don't want to pay GV's rates that are below. GV also doesn't offer a SA number:

South Africa - Landline 3¢ - R0.40
South Africa - Mobile 7¢ - R0.94
South Africa - Special 15¢ - R2.01

sajunky

Honorary Master
www.discountvoip.co.uk flat rate 0.005UKP per minute (R0.085) for calls to SA numbers (landline and mobile). On the Web site you can register your mobile or Asterisk number as your caller ID.

Very basic service, voice quality is barely acceptable, but price...

georgegolding

Euphoria Telecom
Company Rep
So I'm looking for a voip provider that I can use with my Asterisk server giving me a local SA number.

I would like to find the cheapest and don't need extra services like voicemail because Asterisk will give me everything I need.

I already have a Google Voice extension but don't want to pay GV's rates that are below. GV also doesn't offer a SA number:

www.freshphone.co.za is a good solution for you.

sege5641

FreshPhone blocks you accessing the sign-up page when you are out of South Africa. VPN into SA then the sign-in page works fine.

There service works everywhere. Only the sign-up page is effected.

mountain_lion

I signed up with FreshPhone today; all working fine within a few minutes.
They did have a problem with the R5 free voucher provided with new sign-ups to allow you to test the service, but my support call regarding this was dealt with and resolved within 2h of logging it.

The few test calls I made were all crystal clear with minimal delay on a 10Mbps ADSL line (fibre application pending). Also tested the Zoiper app on Android.
Only con at present is that simulations ring is not available, i.e. only one device can register at a time for incoming calls. Outgoing calls were possible from Zoiper while my home IP phone was connected, but all incoming calls rang on the home phone. If the home phone is signed out, incoming calls do route to Zoiper.

AsteriskUser

One could forgive them for that as it is essentially a free subscription service. I assume that they will release a paid for service one of these days which may include things like multiple devices, forwarding on no answer etc.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Try all the VOIP providers the others gave. Stay away from WebAfrica. As soon as you start having issues you are screwed.

VoiceEngineer

ISP SIP details R50 once off, Free DDI, local 0.35, mobile 0.75. International negotiable upon signup. Cancel when you want.

Samantha Joubert

You are welcome to contact me are you still looking for a service provider? where are you based?

system32

Expert Member
FreshPHONE uses ICTglobe as a carrier, they also port numbers to them. You can see on CRDB.
When I did a freshphone check on CRDB I got both ICTglobe and ECN.
AFAIK, Freshphone is the home user part of Euphoria telecoms .