BEWARE: VOX REFUND SECRETS

Skowt

BEWARE: REFUND SECRETS

With a large number of posts regarding moving accounts, it might be good to note a few things when cancelling. Here's my experiences after testing 2 ISP's and ultimately moving to a 3rd.

If you purchase uncapped accounts and use any data on that account, you will not be refunded.
It does not matter whether your account was used for one day or one hour. The moment that your account shows usage, you lose out on even a partial refund.

It would be understandable to have a certain limit (e.g. 20GB downloaded and no refund) or a certain number of days as is the legal standing point but once an ISP sees usage they will not refund you at all for the entire month.

Last edited:

Electric

Honorary Master
I would suggest you don't use data then.
How can you expect to not be charged when you used the account?

Sense of entitlement is strong in here.

Necropolis

Executive Member
You used the account so you should pay for it...

What's the problem?

slvR

Expert Member
This isn't a secret this is commong knowledge...

Let me buy a loaf of bread from you, take a bite and demand a refund?

slvR

Expert Member

Skowt

I would suggest you don't use data then.
How can you expect to not be charged when you used the account?

Sense of entitlement is strong in here.

If you purchase a VPS online at any major Hosting provider, you have 30 days to cancel regardless of if you used your VPS or not. In the same way, if you purchase a majority of services online you have a cancellation period with a refund policy given.

My complaint here would be that as end users, you're forced into a situation where you have no safety net at all. How am I supposed to test various ISP's if I know I'm going to lose money at the end of the day? When we live in a country where you can take any product back within 30 days and still get a refund without even giving a reason, how are ISP's allowed to refuse a refund or even a partial refund when an account happens to be only days old?

If you work from home and the internet is your main source of income. How would you go about testing various ISP's or how would you react when you sign up with an ISP and over the 2 days of testing you know they are unsuitable for you? If you go to work and your car stalls the first day and the second day your car doesn't start and the third day your tires are flat, does your boss say "no it's okay" or are you expected to have it sorted out? In the same way, I cannot troubleshoot a connection for a week when I have to get work done today.

And yes there are the 1GB test accounts but everyone knows those are given priority because they are the test accounts and ISP's want to give the best image for the company.

Skowt

You used the account so you should pay for it...

What's the problem?

I used the account for 2 days. So I should pay the full month's fees? Comparing food / products to services just doesn't work.

If you choose this stance for services like what's mentioned above, then you should surely believe that guarantee's shouldn't exist either. For once you use it, you should pay for it? If it's broken / doesn't work then you can't do anything about it because you used it.

I highly doubt that you would feel that way about a product you buy. Only if you rely on a good ISP connection to support your livelyhood will you understand the need for testing and a safety net.

slvR

Expert Member
You claim the service was broken? If you were able to USE the product it was not broken and you're just salty.

Skowt

You claim the service was broken? If you were able to USE the product it was not broken and you're just salty.

If you know anything about an internet connection then you know what having packet loss is like, or an intermittent connection. Just because I can use the internet for an hour doesn't mean that the product is not broken. I pay for a reliable internet connection not an hours worth of connectivity.

Thor

Honorary Master
VOX - You wont be able to bargain with them, they are the premier of ISPs so much so they do not have support, because their products works regardless. Somehow yours did not, in a case like VOX Telecom, you write it off as school fees and move on.

What's next?

In my heart I want to suggest Afrihost, but unfortunately I don't believe they'll ever make come back and end up supreme like the golden days prior to MTN.

So I'd suggest WebAfrica, IS is a very reliable backbone. ( If you don't abuse torrents )

Skowt

VOX - You wont be able to bargain with them, they are the premier of ISPs so much so they do not have support, because their products works regardless. Somehow yours did not, in a case like VOX Telecom, you write it off as school fees and move on.

What's next?

In my heart I want to suggest Afrihost, but unfortunately I don't believe they'll ever make come back and end up supreme like the golden days prior to MTN.

So I'd suggest WebAfrica, IS is a very reliable backbone. ( If you don't abuse torrents )

Hey Thor,

I appreciate the comment. I noticed WebAfrica seems to be very good if you're keen with having a limited download speed during the day and like you said, don't abuse torrents before midnight.

Currently I've chosen to stick with Axxess. I am able to get full speeds night and day with all my connections which allows me to work most effectively.

cueball

Strong sense of entitlement indeed. If no money-back guarantee was offered up front, why do you expect one now?

Skowt

Strong sense of entitlement indeed. If no money-back guarantee was offered up front, why do you expect one now?

Again. If you buy a product and you pay for it, if it doesn't work or is faulty, do you ignore it and say "I used it, can't do anything about it now" or do you go and get a refund or replacement? Just because an ISP service is a service does not make it any less suitable for having a refund policy.

Thor

Honorary Master
Hey Thor,

I appreciate the comment. I noticed WebAfrica seems to be very good if you're keen with having a limited download speed during the day and like you said, don't abuse torrents before midnight.

Currently I've chosen to stick with Axxess. I am able to get full speeds night and day with all my connections which allows me to work most effectively.

No problem. I understand where you are coming from, but VOX is the wrong company to reason with. Axxess = Afrihost, so meh perhaps your lucky :)

cueball

If I signed up for Internet access and the account didn't work I'd query it. If they couldn't get it working for some bizarre reason I would cancel and possibly expect a refund. This begs the question though, if the service did not work as you claim, how did you manage to clock up usage on it?

Electric

Honorary Master
Maybe sign-up for a tiny package then?
What's the issue here.
You need us to tell you how to use the internet properly as well?

When I trialed Web Africa I signed up for the smallest package they had, the same with Afrihost.
Seriously, these are the things you learn in school.
Basic logic and common sense should have driven your decisions.

Electric

Honorary Master
No problem. I understand where you are coming from, but VOX is the wrong company to reason with. Axxess = Afrihost, so meh perhaps your lucky :)

Actually VOX are very reasonable and have good support.
I have been called by them many times when issues popped up.
No other ISP has called me to solve an issue other than CW.