• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Bid to curb rock throwing

Temujin

Expert Member
Kinda sad we live in a world where we have to waste taxes on putting up cages cos parasites don't have the ability to control themselves

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Children stone car on M4

So this is now becoming a "thing" more and more

In the third rock-throwing incident on the North Coast, a motorist was stoned on the M4 today.

Ross Paxton told the Courier he was travelling on the M4 from Ballito at around 1.30pm today when he noticed four boys aged between 10 to 12 years old standing on the Boys Town bridge, Tongaat.

“Because of all these incidents, I immediately slowed down and started driving about 80/ 90 km/h. I could not change lanes. The boys threw a small rock and it hit the roof of my car.”

The Durban North resident said the youngsters then ran into the nearby residential suburb of Seatides.

“I do not think the boys belonged to Boys Town because they were outside the boundary wall of the facility.”

The 43 year old man said he was slightly shaken up, but was not injured. He was on his way to Tongaat SAPS at the time of publication.

Two weeks ago two people were killed when a rock was thrown from a bridge on the N2 highway between Ballito and Tongaat.

Last weekend a rock was dropped from a bridge closer to the tollgate, but the driver was not injured.

Police said they had questioned some boys in connection with the N2 incidents, but have not made any arrests.
https://northcoastcourier.co.za/100797/children-stone-car-m4/

Sean008

Expert Member
If caught and cornered in the act, these little sh&ts need a proper whipping before any further sanction. Also parents need to be held accountable for deaths and damages.

Cr419

Executive Member
Put the parents against a wall and stone them in front of their little ****s. Maybe then the little bastards will stop.

access

Executive Member
the cages over the walkways in cpt have worked well, they hardly throw from normal bridges because people can easily stop their cars next to them and catch them..

Flanders

Executive Member
Children stone car on M4
Regarding the catch fence idea, I reckon the savages will just climb onto them and drop the rocks from there. How about a drop fence? If weight > x, activate hinge. For a very brief while the problem will continue. But once word spreads that their tjommies are swan diving off bridges with boulders in their hands, I think we could have a winner?
So we've identified x. x = 25kg.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Regarding the catch fence idea, I reckon the savages will just climb onto them and drop the rocks from there. How about a drop fence? If weight > x, activate hinge. For a very brief while the problem will continue. But once word spreads that their tjommies are swan diving off bridges with boulders in their hands, I think we could have a winner?
They'll find a way to bypass this once they figure out how it works. Kids of that age are quite imaginative.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
If its boys, it sounds like someone has decided that this is the new game to play....
When I was still in high school one of the more troubled boys done this. Unfortunately for him, he threw a rock at the first team's forwards coach (dude was built like a professional prop) who caught him and gave him a couple of flat hands. Said boy reported the incident, his dad found out why he got bliksemed and dropped the complaint.

Last edited:

schumi

Honorary Master
Not the same but using rocks to attack cars

Truck driver who fled from stone-throwing mob ‘devastated’ he injured another driver

The truck driver who bumped into another truck while fleeing from a stone-throwing mob is devastated over injuring the other driver.

The incident took place near Lanseria north west of Johannesburg on Wednesday.

Mbongeni Zwane said he regretted injuring the other truck driver who is in a critical condition in hospital.

"I am hurt. It's devastating that I injured a man who probably has a family to take care of. It's not nice. I wish things did not happen the way they did‚" said Zwane.

Zwane said he wished he could have had a chance to speak to the injured driver but was unable to as officials needed to take statements. "There was no time to talk or get his numbers. It all happened so fast‚" said Zwane.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...ing-mob-devastated-he-injured-another-driver/

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Cages will just be torn down and sold for scrap.

I reckon this may be a better solution as the fences will be much, much harder to get to. And if they reach out for 2 - 2.5 m I doubt anybody is hurling a rock to clear them.

Who's going to clean the catchment area?

schumi

Honorary Master
Rock-throwing escalating in KZN

Durban - Whether a prank or a wicked plan by thieves to rob motorists, the rock-throwing menace has snowballed in KwaZulu-Natal, especially in Durban, where officials have been called on to act decisively.
However, authorities said the problem could not be resolved “overnight”.

Thus far, only one arrest has been made after at least seven incidents were reported across Durban in the aftermath to the fatal December 28 attack on Gauteng siblings.

Amina Haffajee, 16, and her brother Abdur Raheem, 7, died when a boulder thrown from a bridge, crashed through the windscreen of their vehicle while they were travelling on the N2, between Tongaat and Ballito, north of Durban.

Kirthan Pillay, 19, was the latest victim of rock throwing when youngsters launched missiles at his vehicle while he drove under the “Boys’ Town” bridge, near Tongaat, on Friday afternoon.

The incident happened during peak traffic flow. His windscreen was shattered but he was uninjured.

The victims in the other incidents reported they felt fortunate to have escaped with minor injuries and damage to their vehicles.

On Thursday, a 28-year-old suspect was caught by a Pietermaritzburg-based security company which was alerted via a local WhatsApp group about an attack from a bridge in Hilton.

Pietermaritzburg SAPS spokesperson Captain Gay Ebrahim said the suspect was expected to appear in Howick Magistrate’s Court.

But the DA spokesperson on transport in the province, Rafeek Shah, questioned the effectiveness of intelligence.

“It is a frightening trend of heinous crimes and has plunged us into a crisis situation.

“To date, we don’t know who attacked the Haffajee siblings or which area the attackers lived in, which points to a lack of intelligence on the ground by law enforcement officials.

“Whether this is a copycat trend or criminal syndicate, the suspects must be known within their communities, who will see and hear things,” Shah claimed.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/sunday-tribune/rock-throwing-escalating-in-kzn-12718914

schumi

Honorary Master
Another rock thrown at Durban North motorist

Durban - A motorist had a lucky escape after yet another rock was thrown off a bridge at a car in Durban North, Rescue Care spokesperson Garrith Jamieson said on Sunday.

"The rock was thrown through his windscreen," said Jamieson.

"He sustained minor injuries and is very anxious and stressed."

He did not go to hospital.

The incident took place on the North Coast Road at the N2 bridge near Glen Anil at about 19.45.

Pictures from the scene show that the rock hit the windscreen on the passenger side of his VW Polo.

The rock and pieces of glass were on the passenger seat.

Police were at the scene.

News24 reported earlier that a woman and her seven-year-old brother died along the N2 highway in Umhlali, north of Durban in December.

A large rock was thrown from an overhead bridge on to their car.

They had been travelling with their father at the time.

Police said they could not release statistics on similar incidents, but said there were patrols and moves to catch the perpetrators.

On January 6, a motorist was taken to hospital after a rock was allegedly thrown onto his car, also from an overhead bridge on the N2 between Ballito and Tongaat, north of Durban.

Six children who were taken in for questioning were released.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Thulani Zwane said the incident had not been reported at a police station yet at the time of News24's request for comment, but he had heard about it.

"They must go to the police station and report it," he said.

News24
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/another-rock-thrown-at-durban-north-motorist-20180114