Big changes coming to Gautrain

quovadis

Expert Member
I dont think you understand how taxes work in SA.

Western Cape is one of the few TAX exporting provinces ie. we operate on our own tax whereas we get looted by other provinces in need year after year.

So yes the Western Cape doesn't need "gautrain" taxes. The western cape would do even better if we were allowed to keep all the collected taxes in our own province.
Keep thinking that provincial revenue is the only thing to take into consideration.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Keep thinking that provincial revenue is the only thing to take into consideration.
I did not claim its the only thing. The mention was tax payers in Western Cape and I responded to that specifically.

But since you brought it up, provincial revenue in the Western Cape is by far enough to take care of the Western Cape if the Western Cape had any say in keeping its revenue in the province. Bailing out failing provinces that just end up in some corrupt comrade pocket doesn't even help these failing provinces.

So in a roundabout way, yes. If a province earn more revenue than they get to keep then if they were able to keep all of their revenue paid by their local population it would be operating much better than this looting of finances to fund provinces who doesn't even see eye to eye with Western Cape policies or voters.

ANC win elections, they fuk up 7 provinces under their control and they take revenue from the Western Cape to try prop up their own ****up provinces. Seems extremely fair.

quovadis

Expert Member
I did not claim its the only thing. The mention was tax payers in Western Cape and I responded to that specifically.

But since you brought it up, provincial revenue in the Western Cape is by far enough to take care of the Western Cape if the Western Cape had any say in keeping its revenue in the province. Bailing out failing provinces that just end up in some corrupt comrade pocket doesn't even help these failing provinces.

So in a roundabout way, yes. If a province earn more revenue than they get to keep then if they were able to keep all of their revenue paid by their local population it would be operating much better than this looting of finances to fund provinces who doesn't even see eye to eye with Western Cape policies or voters.

ANC win elections, they fuk up 7 provinces under their control and they take revenue from the Western Cape to try prop up their own ****up provinces. Seems extremely fair.
Yes and Gauteng has been taking the ass end of it for decades yet suddenly the province that has been propping up the rest of SA should ring-fence Gautrain according to the poster who I was responding to in the first place.

powermzii

Expert Member
Ja nee, from GautrainBus, Gautrain, Gautrainbus for Garsfontein to Sandton took me 2 hours, could do the same trip in 45 min to an hour in my car in normal morning traffic.
45m???? Normally take some 1.5hr in peak morning or evening traffic

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Do you still drive from Gars to Sandton?
Luckily not. The one Gautrain time eater was getting to the Hatfield station by car or bus, very congested roads. Useless to go to other stations, because then well on your way to Sandton already, in my opinion. Had wished for a Menlyn station back then.

powermzii

Expert Member
Luckily not. The one Gautrain time eater was getting to the Hatfield station by car or bus, very congested roads. Useless to go to other stations, because then well on your way to Sandton already, in my opinion. Had wished for a Menlyn station back then.
A Menlyn station would have made so much sense but they're building that whole area up so much its nigh impossible now. I have to get to Hatfield in a roundabout way after dropping the kid off at school in Shere ;-| so N4 int PTA

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
From my home to hatfield station is 15m @ 5am. At 6-7am an hour at least...