Big trouble for Apple's new iPhones

Sollie

Executive Member
Apple have no qualms about infringing on others copyrights and patents, but heaven help the poor suckers that violate theirs.
This is actually a business model used by a few big companies. It always reminds me of the guy taking a swing at somebody, then making sure the camera gets switched on, then says "Don't you hit me ...".

sajunky

Honorary Master
Considering Qualcomm licencing details came to the light (see other thread), I think it is a right decision by Apple.

theratman

Executive Member
Apple is a dying brand. It will go belly-up in the not-too-distant future.
Not sure if it's dying, it's one of the biggest companies in the world with a monster turn over and profit. Their creative spark and innovation do seem to be dying but the brand is still incredibly strong.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
Not sure if it's dying, it's one of the biggest companies in the world with a monster turn over and profit. Their creative spark and innovation do seem to be dying but the brand is still incredibly strong.
The bigger they come, the harder they fall. Think Nokia too as well as Blackberry.

theratman

Executive Member
The bigger they come, the harder they fall. Think Nokia too as well as Blackberry.
Both failed miserably at keeping up with tech. Blackberry failed to make a consumer focused phone and focused on business while Nokia didn't have a smart phone for the longest time. If there's major advances and Apple fail to keep up then yes, they might do down that route, but they've got an ecosystem and subsidiaries that the other 2 never had.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
Both failed miserably at keeping up with tech. Blackberry failed to make a consumer focused phone and focused on business while Nokia didn't have a smart phone for the longest time. If there's major advances and Apple fail to keep up then yes, they might do down that route, but they've got an ecosystem and subsidiaries that the other 2 never had.
My wife had several 'smart' phones. The most reliable is the Sony. She had a Samsung, but dropped it. I bought her an i-phone 5s which she found cumbersome and slow. So she gave it to me, and it tests my patience. I prefer my Doros and some old Nokias. She now has a Samsung 7 edge which can be annoying at times, but which she much prefers.
Just a snap shot of course, and proves nothing other than that 'smart' phones are fashion (and therefore illogical) choices.
I could make broadly similar remarks about Apple macs. I much prefer my Dell precision m4700 to any mac I have used.
My wife much prefers her Samsung tablet to the Apple offerings.
Sales of i-phones seem to be suffering to some extent. I suspect, but do not know of course, that the death throes are starting.

bratwurst

Expert Member
My wife had several 'smart' phones. The most reliable is the Sony. She had a Samsung, but dropped it. I bought her an i-phone 5s which she found cumbersome and slow. So she gave it to me, and it tests my patience. I prefer my Doros and some old Nokias. She now has a Samsung 7 edge which can be annoying at times, but which she much prefers.
Just a snap shot of course, and proves nothing other than that 'smart' phones are fashion (and therefore illogical) choices.
I could make broadly similar remarks about Apple macs. I much prefer my Dell precision m4700 to any mac I have used.
My wife much prefers her Samsung tablet to the Apple offerings.
Sales of i-phones seem to be suffering to some extent. I suspect, but do not know of course, that the death throes are starting.
*iPhone

5s is 5 years old. It will be slower. Not sure what you expect from a 5 year old device?

Smart phones are fashion devices? There are people that use these fashion devices to its fullest. I do most my work on a phone, which mainly consists of mails, monitoring tools and calls. I'm constantly out and about and I don't need to drag a laptop with me.

I'm not a apple user anymore, but was heavily invested in their eco system until last year.

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
*iPhone

5s is 5 years old. It will be slower. Not sure what you expect from a 5 year old device?

Smart phones are fashion devices? There are people that use these fashion devices to its fullest. I do most my work on a phone, which mainly consists of mails, monitoring tools and calls. I'm constantly out and about and I don't need to drag a laptop with me.

I'm not a apple user anymore, but was heavily invested in their eco system until last year.
The 5s was bought three years ago. My Nokia was bought in 2009. My Doros were bought 4 years ago. So the 5s is being compared by me with older 'phones.
I forgot to mention that the 5s was still rated a best buy when I bought it by 'Which?'

noxibox

Honorary Master
Apple have no qualms about infringing on others copyrights and patents, but heaven help the poor suckers that violate theirs.
It's bad behaviour, but it is normal corporate practice. They also all abuse the patent system. The extreme being companies that exist solely to buy up broad patents, then use them to extort money from other companies. Pay us or we'll beat you up and burn down your shop.

From what I can tell the Qualcomm patents in question fall under that category of worthless, meaninglessly broad patents that should never have been granted in the first place.

People bought into the ecosystem, apps, music etc. They would not easily want to lose that.
They don't want to lose it because it all works together. It is hard to find the same thing anywhere else.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
It's bad behaviour, but it is normal corporate practice. They also all abuse the patent system. The extreme being companies that exist solely to buy up broad patents, then use them to extort money from other companies. Pay us or we'll beat you up and burn down your shop.

From what I can tell the Qualcomm patents in question fall under that category of worthless, meaninglessly broad patents that should never have been granted in the first place.

They don't want to lose it because it all works together. It is hard to find the same thing anywhere else.
Yup, it's dirty tactics but that is just the nature of the beast. If you can successfully sue the pants off your competition or block sales in some regions, then you are winning the side of the battle. Let's face it, all these monolithic companies blatantly copy and rip each other off, they simply have to, otherwise they would be out on the street before they could wipe the crap out of their eyes. It's so competitive.