BIS pricing comparison

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
One valid reason might be BlackBerry's data compression. Everything you send or receive over a BIS-connected 'Berry is compressed before hitting the operator's network.
Exactly. Phones like the iPhone chow through data.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
One valid reason might be BlackBerry's data compression. Everything you send or receive over a BIS-connected 'Berry is compressed before hitting the operator's network.
Like Opera Mini does.... on every other phone out there.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
There are plenty of HSDPA blackberrys - are you saying the networks limiting it to 3G?

I have a HSPDA blackberry, but as far as I know i only get 3G on BIS, so yes I think they limit us to 3G. It is more than enough on the telephone anyway. When you connect your phone as a modem you do get HSDPA.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
If you think about it, the data that compresses the most is text/html like what you typically get in a browser. Youtube videos, internet radio and other data applications on the phone uses formats that are already compressed so applying compression on that will not have much effect.

I noticed the other day that when I open an article on News24 for the first time in my phones native browser it downloads about 1.3mb so I can imagine this is where compression would be applicable. In my case I have Wireless-N and 10.8mbps HSDPA so I don't really notice the page load ;)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I noticed the other day that when I open an article on News24 for the first time in my phones native browser it downloads about 1.3mb so I can imagine this is where compression would be applicable. In my case I have Wireless-N and 10.8mbps HSDPA so I don't really notice the page load ;)
Some devices need wifi to do their job properly but phones shouldn't and I'll take affordable and uncapped 3G access over your HSDPA any day. ;)

cavedog

Honorary Master
Say what you like about blackberrys but their users can actually afford to use their phones. :)

What a true statement. I have a HTC desire and the data usage is killing me. You can't do anything without a active data connection. It gets quite expensive!