Can I join the discussion please?
I have recently seen my GP for a prescription of boner pills, so he immediately tested my BP and did a resting ECG. BP was a bit high (135/85 or so) which he re-tested several times with two different machines. ECG was fine.
Being the conservative sort, he prescribed some Prexum which I'm supposed to take for a month.
Earlier in my life, I was rather suffering from low BP, so this was a bit of a surprise to be diagnosed with high BP. I am reasonably fit, running at least 5km every week (best parkrun time of just under 30min).
Instead of starting to take the Prexum, I invested in a proper BP monitor with separate cuff. I started taking readings throughout the day to avoid the diagnosis being made only on readings in the late afternoon after a stressful day.
The last 3-day average of 20-odd readings is 117/74, peaking at 140/85 late afternoon and going as low as 100/60 early morning when I wake up.
I'm thinking that I won't start with the Prexum just yet, rather just monitor my BP for a few weeks to get a long-term average going, and to start watching my salt intake. The BP monitor is capable of giving overall average of 100 readings, with separate averages for morning/evening readings which should give a good indication of the real situation.