Blood Pressure...

Hello all.
I'm 40 years old and over the past few days I have had my BP tested:
152/111 @ 93bpm
154/118 @ 106bpm
161/115 @ 96bpm


A doctor friend has advised exercise routine without meds however i am relatively fit and active and suspect this may be hereditary.

Should I go for a second opinion or follow advice above.?

I am experiencing quite a number of symptoms of hypertension (recurring headaches, fatigue, dryness of mouth, palpitations)
Your doctor is an idiot. That's dangerously high
 
I don't have a feeling for what these numbers mean at all yet.

All I know is that when my wife goes OFF her damn pills, her BP stabilises at virtually smack bang in the middle of the normal range and her PR also stabilises. As soon as she goes back on to her meds thee extreme fluctuations start up again.
Yet the doc inisistvshe stay on her meds.
 
I don't have a feeling for what these numbers mean at all yet.

All I know is that when my wife goes OFF her damn pills, her BP stabilises at virtually smack bang in the middle of the normal range and her PR also stabilises. As soon as she goes back on to her meds thee extreme fluctuations start up again.
Yet the doc inisistvshe stay on her meds.
Get a second opinion.
 
Well yes, what if the second opinion is the same which it is? And what if the pharmacist can't offer any alternative meds either?
You don't know that it will be. Go and get it done.
And discuss meds with the doctor. There are many different types of blood pressure reducing meds, some work better for some people than others (eg I was on calcium channel blockers - they did SFA for my blood pressure but I got palpitations and dizzy spells). The doc should change the regimen if it's not working properly.
 
You don't know that it will be. Go and get it done.
And discuss meds with the doctor. There are many different types of blood pressure reducing meds, some work better for some people than others (eg I was on calcium channel blockers - they did SFA for my blood pressure but I got palpitations and dizzy spells). The doc should change the regimen if it's not working properly.
Will report back after her appointment this week.
 
The diffs between the 2 numbers should be about 40mm ideally. This is the force of the left ventricle.
It is proportional to the Ejection Fraction that determines the health of the heart.
Normal EF is 60% while 40% or less is considered heart failure.

A systolic/diastolic diffs of 60 or higher could indicate cardio vascular disease.
It could be both or one side of the body so one would have to check readings on both arms.
 
Wanting panorama mediclinic.
But cardiac surgeon (vosloo) and vascular surgeon (boytchev) both work primarily at Chris Barnard hospital.

I'll rather die in the gutter than be admitted to that place.

Willie Koen is also an excellent Cadio Thoracic Surgeon
 
same here. Doctors must love us BP patients. Quickest 700 rands earned compared to other of their consultations.

113/99 yesterday.
That 110/100 must be incorrect reading as you would not be able to think nevermind post it.
 
158/100 without meds today. Maybe my machine has gone bonkers?
You need to take your meds or see a GP as that is high.
Take the average of 3 readings for a more accurate reading.
Cut out all salts and hidden salts in cookies and bread. Drink water and decaf tea or coffee. No sodas.
You will see a difference in a single day.
 
158/100 without meds today. Maybe my machine has gone bonkers?

If you suspect that your BP monitor might be giving incorrect readings, try replacing the batteries with new ones. It took me a visit to the emergency room to get a second reading before I realised what the problem was...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X