Blood Pressure...

Hello all.
I'm 40 years old and over the past few days I have had my BP tested:
152/111 @ 93bpm
154/118 @ 106bpm
161/115 @ 96bpm


A doctor friend has advised exercise routine without meds however i am relatively fit and active and suspect this may be hereditary.

Should I go for a second opinion or follow advice above.?

I am experiencing quite a number of symptoms of hypertension (recurring headaches, fatigue, dryness of mouth, palpitations)

Hi, and welcome to the "my BP is a bit too high club".

Definitely go see someone about your symptoms (not your friend lol). The sooner you get this under control, the better.
 
Hello all.
I'm 40 years old and over the past few days I have had my BP tested:
152/111 @ 93bpm
154/118 @ 106bpm
161/115 @ 96bpm


A doctor friend has advised exercise routine without meds however i am relatively fit and active and suspect this may be hereditary.

Should I go for a second opinion or follow advice above.?

I am experiencing quite a number of symptoms of hypertension (recurring headaches, fatigue, dryness of mouth, palpitations)
Go see a doctor asap.

When mine was that high, I went to doctor and showed him the machine and said, look at these readings.

He didn't even think twice and immediately registered me as a chronic patient with discovery. Which means free meds and 3 doc visits a year even on plans without a savings account.

So in summary, make that doctor appointment today still. You dont want to wait for the heart attack, which is the next step if you don't get medication and treatment.
 
This is not for everyone, there are lots of things to consider, and it must be well researched for in advance before you can jump into it.

Not something you can do at the drop of a hat.
I hear you... He definately should consult with his doctor first, but I can't imagine a doctor advising against this.
 
Diet is definitely something you can change to benefit your heart over the LONG term - in fact, it's probably advised. BUT, if readings are that high NOW, it means the damage is already done. At this point it's basically about stopping the rot. Diet won't fix that.

As has already been said, get it checked out ASAP before the heart attack or stroke happens, because those are life altering or potentially fatal events. Next stop is probably going to be aspirin and warfarin to make it easier for the heart to move the blood through those narrowed arteries. Depending on the extent of the build-up, it may even require angioplasty. #stentgang
 
I know over 200 is Red category :oops:

What the triage colours mean

Red = emergency: the patient is in imminent danger of dying or disability and needs to be seen immediately.
Orange = very urgent: the patient is in a serious condition but can wait a few minutes longer.
Yellow = urgent; the patient is very ill but can wait longer.
Green = less urgent/routine: the patient has a minor condition and is rated stable at the time of triage.
 
Last edited:
I have asked before but did not get a definitive response.
According to the manual we received with our BP gadget, "Normal" is considered to be
Sys: 100 - 140
Dia: 60 - 90.
Ideal: 120/80.
What if someone consistently measure at opposite extremes but still in the normal range at low pulse rates?
For example, what would 140/60 @ 60 pulse rate mean?
 
I have asked before but did not get a definitive response.
According to the manual we received with our BP gadget, "Normal" is considered to be
Sys: 100 - 140
Dia: 60 - 90.
Ideal: 120/80.
What if someone consistently measure at opposite extremes but still in the normal range at low pulse rates?
For example, what would 140/60 @ 60 pulse rate mean?
I think you'd need to talk to a doctor. There are causes for elevated systolic readings, and they could be cause for concern.
 
I think you'd need to talk to a doctor. There are causes for elevated systolic readings, and they could be cause for concern.
Ja correct that will happen. But i want to have an idea before we do that.
Another question would be is the above reading better than the opposite or of equal concern?
100/90?
And what does 100/60 mean? Or 140/90?
Is there some sort of "rule" governing the relationship between the two?
 
I have asked before but did not get a definitive response.
According to the manual we received with our BP gadget, "Normal" is considered to be
Sys: 100 - 140
Dia: 60 - 90.
Ideal: 120/80.
What if someone consistently measure at opposite extremes but still in the normal range at low pulse rates?
For example, what would 140/60 @ 60 pulse rate mean?



If your blood pressure is consistently lower than 90/60, you have low blood pressure. Blood pressure between 120/80 and 140/90 is still considered normal. However, most doctors will recommend lifestyle changes if you are in that range. Above 140/90 is considered high blood pressure, or hypertension.
 
Ja correct that will happen. But i want to have an idea before we do that.
Another question would be is the above reading better than the opposite or of equal concern?
100/90?
And what does 100/60 mean? Or 140/90?
Is there some sort of "rule" governing the relationship between the two?
The systolic is the pressure while your heart is contracting, and the diastolic is the pressure while your heart is relaxed/refilling. No rule governing their relationship - if either of them is too high, you are considered hypertensive.
 
Just got back from the pharmacy. GP wanted a reading as my Bisoprolol dosage has been halved because I'd developed long term side effects (lethargy, HR dropping too low at times, etc).

BP: 127/88
HR: 67

Not too shabby.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X